Weather event ?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Weather was extreme these past two days: Over 200l/sqm of rain in 36 hours, where we normally have 85 l/sqm in the whole month of July. Normally there's a little creek running through our garden. That has turned into a wild river now. The lake (which you can easily see on Google Maps) has gained 3m of water level in the past 24 hours, despite more water being let into the river below. The worst is behind us, work was normal today, and we have no damages to report.

Some villages around here have the roads closed, and UPS pick-up was a good 90 minutes late because of that today. DHL pickup is normal. We're only a few km away from the cities that have lost power (actually my brother is without power since last night, he's less than 20km away), so apart from a lot of "Jens, do you have an idea..?"-calls, it was a normal day. Just slightly reduced productivity due to the emergencies around me.

• Whoa !! I didn't at first realize how close you guys were to the action - but then I looked up Im Simmerath on the map !! :-O
    Ok hope stuff normalizes rapidly ! We dont want to lose iComp ;-(

(And on another subject; I'm considering a second ACA500+ ! On an average A500 that never had the edge connector in use can I expect issues with connecting it needing to clean the connector or something ? I had no problems on my first ACA500+ ! ).

Anyway greets !

• Wheater was indeed extreme, here compleet highways and villages are flooded (Limburg, holland). They where even jetskying, just on the streets :)

Well you have to make the best of it, as long as my amiga's are safe ;)

• They where even jetskying, just on the streets

Wow. The bell curve is real. A weather event, clearly caused by man-made climate change, and people use it to burn even more hydrocarbons for fun.

I managed to get through to my brother's place yesterday with lots of detours - it did help that I explored the area by bicycle as a kid. Brought him a generater, so he can run the pumps and limit damage to the real estate. While it was impossible to pick up a camping gas cooker on the way (all sold out), I had the idea to re-purpose a fondue light to cook some water. Worst-case scenario is that electricity will only be restored by Tuesday for that area.

Driving in that remaining bit of rain was starting out normal, but I soon noticed a difference, something that I have never experienced to this degree before: Normally if you drive during late afternoon, it's rush hour and you always have some aggressive drivers on the roads. Not so yesterday late afternoon: Each and everyone drove strictly by the rules, no aggressive behaviour, not the slightest bit. It was as if everyone could sense the danger around us, and behaved much more like the small human being that finally understood that it's not the planet that needs to be saved. It's just that the planet will have fewer and fewer places to accommodate basic human needs.

Most (if not all) people call me extreme, insane or plain mad with my attitude towards, and investments in green energy. It made me rich as an individual investor, allowing me to run an expensive hobby called iComp GmbH. Maybe it takes events like these for everyone to understand that 100% renewable energy for all sectors (including heating of buildings) will make us rich as a society.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.