Unstable V1: C64C NTSC Cart Mode (Random Glitches and Crashes after update to version G)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I haven't used my Chameleon for a little while, but started work on a new C64 cart project and plugged in TC64.

I upgraded my TC64 to version Chameleon_Beta-9g, from version 9f. Using the SD card from Cart mode. Which reports success.

Now, when it boots, I notice some random characters on the screen (on top of whatever is displayed during bootup) until it gets to the menu. This is with an SD card or not.

The main menu shows, If I have and SD Card (the one with the updates and all my other work -- which worked for the last several versions) and browse the card, it can't find any files.

If I leave it in the empty folder screen it tries to read again.. then some random garbage (single chars maybe 10 spread around the screen). and the menu locks up. then it goes to a black screen

If I try to edit the date -- it it permits me but hitting return causes the menu to corrupt and the freeze.

If I go to basic, the commodore banner screen shows but there are $$ signs under near the last line (randomly move around that line)

I removed the RRNET3

I installed the cart in another C64C (identical config, both worked flawlessly with the cart before)

Other carts like MMCReplay, Freezers work fine on both machines

Current Config:

C64C NTSC,No IEC Drives connected, Original PSU (I can't run the Box Identify as this an NTSC machine)

--Wolfgang

• Also, it sounds like the Chameleon has not been used in a while - this may mean that the gold contacts have collected whatever dust there is in the air. If you live in a city with high fine dust particles in the air, or near the ocean, you may have to clean the gold contacts with a micro fibre cloth to get the unit working again.

• Also, it sounds like the Chameleon has not been used in a while - this may mean that the gold contacts have collected whatever dust there is in the air. If you live in a city with high fine dust particles in the air, or near the ocean, you may have to clean the gold contacts with a micro fibre cloth to get the unit working again.

I cleaned the contacts (both sides both machines and TC64), same issues.

• That looks really broken to me... does it do the same in standalone mode? could be a RAM problem perhaps *shrug*

Do you have a spare power supply to try with? This looks like regulation problems, as Chameleon and C64 appear to lose sync to each other.

In standalone mode, I re-flashed to 9G. It now can boot to the core. It does exactly the same thing without being connected to the c64.

• Following up on the possibility of a power problem: Can you take a high-res picture of the opened cartridge? There was one production run where modifications were needed in order to get the unit stable. I'd like to verify what production run you have.

• Thanks - the mod for stabilizing the 1.2V core voltage is there, so that's not the cause.

Tobias' idea of a RAM failure is worth checking: Is the hardware test core working? That will test memory continuously.

• I ran the HWTEST2, which displayed the gradients, buttons worked, keyboard mouse worked, IR flashed,

The memory bar goes green and makes 3/4 of the way across then restarts again. I don't see any red or errors..

• After 9h,

Similar issues. Instead of $$$ $$ flashing in BASIC it is "@@@!!!"

When viewing the System info, hitting Enter (to exit) now crashes the cart.

The other issues persist in the same way.

• We only have that one company address, mentioned on the website and every invoice. Yes, please include the breakout cable, so we can run all tests with that same cable that you've used. Who knows what's wrong!

• Hey Jens,

I am having trouble configuring the shipping options. When shipping to you guys, is there any suggestions to prevent duties and taxes?

I have the package marked as warranty return, or is there a better way?I was going to use DHL Worldwide.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.