Powering the TC from the Docking ?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi.

Is it possible to power the Turbo Chameleon cartridge with 5V+GND from any of the pins on the PCB of the Docking ?

For instance, are there any 5V pins on the Docking I can feed 5V (fom the usb charger) to power the unit instead of plugging it into the

mini-usb connector on the side of the TC cartridge ?

I am asking because I would like to build my TC and Docking into a case and would like less cables connected to the TC itself, and instead have a power

conncetor feeding the Docking (which again powers the TC cartridge).

If this is possible -- where on the Docking PCB can I hook up ?

Espen

• For instance, are there any 5V pins on the Docking I can feed 5V (fom the usb charger) to power the unit instead of plugging it into the

mini-usb connector on the side of the TC cartridge ?

That's possible, but it would not be safe, as there is no mechanical blocking of the mini-USB power connector of the Chameleon itself. You can of course just solder wires to GND/Vcc of the 44-pin expansion slot and power both units that way, but you MUST NOT connect anything to the mini-USB power connector in the Chameleon, otherwise two PSUs would attempt to regulate power "against each other", most likely causing oscillation and ultimately damage to the Chameleon and the Docking Station.

I am asking because I would like to build my TC and Docking into a case and would like less cables connected to the TC itself, and instead have a power

conncetor feeding the Docking (which again powers the TC cartridge).

If you build your own case, you could make a small "wall" that covers the mini-USB power connector of the Chameleon when it's plugged into the Docking Station. This will make sure that it's not used when plugged in - same idea as when connecting to a C64: The mini-USB power connector hides under the metal frame, and you can't plug anything in there.

• Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation. I looked at the schematics for the TC but was unable to find the schematics for the docking V1 to find which pin was VCC and GND on the CN3 connector. You guys remember ?

• I am just updating my thread here as I got it working. So what I did was just to solder 5V directly to pin3 on the cartridge connector on the docking and GND to pin1 on the cartridge conncetor. It powered up like a dream. So if anyone needs this mod -- it works :)

• Please take the time to mount a physical "blocker" for the USB power port of the Chameleon. It should be as simple as a 2x4cm-piece of hard plastic, sheet metal or similar, mounted with two screws (so it won't tilt away) to the side of the black base of the Docking Station.

• Please take the time to mount a physical "blocker" for the USB power port of the Chameleon. It should be as simple as a 2x4cm-piece of hard plastic, sheet metal or similar, mounted with two screws (so it won't tilt away) to the side of the black base of the Docking Station.

I will make sure to do that. Will put a sticker over it for the mean time. It's easy to forget so I'll block it.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.