Formatting a FFS flash drive via Rapid Road USB

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Forgive my ignorance, but what steps are required to format a USB flash drive (32 GB) with FFS via one of Rapid Road's USB ports?

I've tried setting HDToolBox's "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME" Tool Type to both "x-surf-100.device" and "rapidroadxs100usb.device" (moving the latter device into the root of DEVS:) but the flash drive still doesn't show up in HDToolBox. I've tried in both AmigaOS 3.1.4 and 3.2, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• I've tried setting HDToolBox's "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME" Tool Type to both "x-surf-100.device" and "rapidroadxs100usb.device" (moving the latter device into the root of DEVS:) but the flash drive still doesn't show up in HDToolBox.

Those are not the mass-storage devices, but the low-level hardware drivers. I'd have to fire up an Amiga with USB myself to answer that: insert a FAT-formatted stick, wait for it to be mounted, then launch Sysinfo to check the device driver name for UMSD: and use that for HDtoolbox. Please understand that I'm extremely busy - maybe you can do these steps yourself?

• Jens, many thanks for the reply!

The device name to use is: usbscsi.device (unit 1, at least on my system). It will then show up in HDToolbox, where you can read the device parameters and save it.

Then, from within a Shell window (changing directory to SYS:System) you can format it using UMSD: as follows; e.g.:

Format UMSD: NAME=Greg FFS INTL NOICONS

Be sure to remove the flash drive from your Amiga and re-insert it, forcing AmigaOS to do a "refresh" on the flash drive.

Workbench then shows an Amiga FFS device with the default name of KDH0: which uses 4,096 bytes per block as the default (for my 32 GB flash drive).

HDToolbox, of course, is still slated for an overhaul to straighten out some nuances (nothing new there). :)

Anyway, here's a link with some photos that I trust will help:

http://gregdonner.org/transfer/flash_drive_ffs.html

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.