C16 / Plus 4 - another member of the family

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Sounds good. Note that I'm not currently doing any major remapping - so currently in the C16 core the keys match the C16 keyboard physical locations, and not what's printed on the C64 keycaps.

(The scene demo Phosphorizer is really cool!)

• I've wired up the adapter and ordered a sample PCB, which I will send to Alastair when it's here&assembled.

32 keys will work without any change of mapping - if memory from Keyrah development serves right.

• I've wired up the adapter and ordered a sample PCB, which I will send to Alastair when it's here&assembled

That's really cool - but I don't have either a C16, Plus4 or a bare keyboard from either. In terms of "real" hardware I only have a C64C and three A500s.

When you say "change of mapping" are you talking about remapping the differences in key markings / functions between the two types of keyboard? (i.e. cursor keys being four keys on the top row instead of two keys on the bottom right.)

• When you say "change of mapping" are you talking about remapping the differences in key markings / functions between the two types of keyboard? (i.e. cursor keys being four keys on the top row instead of two keys on the bottom right.)

I'll have to test which keys are totally off and which ones do what you're expecting. Like I wrote, I only copied a few things from Keyrah: Back then, I have analyzed all of the Commodore matrix keyboards, and obviously did a few tricks to minimize the task. Obviously, I had swapped rows and columns of the C16 keyboard in order to have the 4-row overlap with the C64 keyboard. So the adapter I've made is doing the same thing, without me remembering all the details of the work that I've done 15 years ago. I could look up the matrix documentation, but what for? Best (=easiest, quickest) thing for me will be to take a C16 keyboard and connect it to a C64 with that adapter. Once I know that all keys are seen by the C64, I also know they will be seen by the Docking station, so I can then forward the work to Alastair, who has much more insight into the code than I do (after all, he's the author!).

I have a switchable 16k/64k Commodore 16 plus an extra keyboard if I can be of any help.

Is that an offer to send that keyboard to Alastair? If so, I'd pay for shipping. Where on the planet are you?

• Will be glad to, I will at least pay for keyboard/adapter postage. I can't find your email though. Just in case my email is (removed - got it, and don't want spambots to pick it up here) so you can quick email me there :)

• coincidentally i was playing around with this in VICE at the weekend, so here is all you need:

• Proto PCBs arrived, assembled and tried on a C64. Surprisingly, my random choice of rows/columns was just right: All numbers and characters do what they're supposed to, shift and space are in the right place, dot and comma work correctly, and I think even the F-keys are right (can't remember the correct graphics symbols). Will send these two adapters to Retroscener tomorrow (all parcel services have already picked up for today).

Only one of them has the C116/plus4 keyboard connector. These connectors are scarce (at least in my parts bin).

• Proto PCBs arrived, assembled and tried on a C64. Surprisingly, my random choice of rows/columns was just right: All numbers and characters do what they're supposed to, shift and space are in the right place, dot and comma work correctly, and I think even the F-keys are right (can't remember the correct graphics symbols). Will send these two adapters to Retroscener tomorrow (all parcel services have already picked up for today).

Awesome! It may well be that all I need to do for the C16 core is disable the small amount of remapping I'm already doing to make the virtual C16 happy with the C64 keyboard.

• Only one of them has the C116/plus4 keyboard connector. These connectors are scarce (at least in my parts bin)

Does this mean that both adapters can be used with a C16 keyboard, but only one can be used with the C116 & Plus4 keyboards? I just own a C16 keyboard.

• Does this mean that both adapters can be used with a C16 keyboard, but only one can be used with the C116 & Plus4 keyboards?

Correct. I thought I should test the connectors I have in stock - and of course the symbol that I have created in the CAD system. That test was about 8 years overdue, as I have rated it to be extremely simple with a very low chance of failing. Turned out to be working as expected, but I couldn't say for sure without actually testing.

Since I don't want to solder yet another adapter, you'll get the C116/plus4-capable adapter as well. You decide which one goes to Alastair :-)

• C16 keyboard & adapter posted. I just missed the last collection by minutes as I had to rush back home to correct the postcode. Oops. Was told it should arrive by Monday morning anyway. Will send the royal mail tracking number to Alastair.

• Another issue. Unsure if it's the C16 core or my Chameleon settings. I installed the C16 core, the c16.rom file which I downloaded from the github link given is in the root directory on my SD card as instructed. But when I try boot the core, the monitor screen goes black with the monitor itself (not the chameleon) telling me on the screen "input not supported". I'm guessing it's a video display issue. It's not happening with my other emulator cores. I'm on the latest Chameleon 9p update.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.