C16 / Plus 4 - another member of the family

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • awesome! Just tried it. Noticed when i load a prg game, go to the menu and try to load another game it crashes and i have to restart the unit in order to load another game.

Yes, currently it's splatting the new program straight over the top of the one that's already running, which causes a crash.

If you reset the core from the menu before loading a new PRG it's fine. But yes, this needs fixing.

oh, and i could not get autofire to work in the new version of commando. Not tried other games in this regard.

There's no autofire support yet - which might be why it doesn't work! ;)

• Is the D64 support planned to be added (or is it also missing from the MIST version of the core ?)

It's planned, and some of the recent firmware work will come in handy - the same code should allow save RAM support for those cores which support it (most of the console cores).

• I finally got around to the core :-) Love it ! Are dedicating a ps/2 keyboard to it due to the slightly different layout. And I discovered that C16 doesnt have a Restore button :-D

• I finally got around to the core :-) Love it ! Are dedicating a ps/2 keyboard to it due to the slightly different layout. And I discovered that C16 doesnt have a Restore button :-D

Glad you're having fun with it! D64 support is basically working now so there'll be an update soon.

The restore key caused me some grief, because of course it's not a "proper" key on the C64 so I have to catch the momentary pulse on the restore key and widen it for that one particular key in the C16's matrix. (The c16 makes room for the extra key in the matrix by combining the two shift keys - they're not separate like they are on the C64.)

• Errmm.. The C16 computer did not have a Restore key at all. Restore issues an NMI (non-maskable IRQ) to the CPU. However, the CPU on a C16 does not even have an NMI line.

The key at that position is CLR/HOME on the C16. And I guess that robinsonb5 had trouble detecting the C64-side NMI pulse to turn that into a CLR/HOME key on the C16 core.

• Is or will there be support for a C16 keyboard?

The C16 keyboard has the same connector, but a different matrix where only about half of the keyboard can be scanned correctly by the Docking Station (both versions). This is a hardware limitation that can only be overcome with an adapter.

• The adapter alone won't correct the issue - it will only make the matrix available to the core, which then would have to be supported by Alastair's core. So far, such an adapter does not exist. I could design something that will at least work for 32 keys, but Alastair would have to take care of adapting his key map for the other half.

• It's definitely a good idea. I will most certainly buy one. I feel it would do quite well on smaller production runs. I've been a C16 guy for years since 84, as well as the C64 since 87. The 264 series has a very active scene, and I'm sure Alistair would do the rest :)

• The 264 series has a very active scene

I haven't seen too much activity, but I understand that the plus/4 was sold for very little money in Hungary, where the scene is supposedly very strong. However, most of the Hungarian folks I got to know during scene parties were Amiga guys, but that may purely be related to the fact that I never owned any of the 264 computers back in the days. I do have a few in my collection today, even 1551 drives, but I don't even know if they work :-)

Anyway, I'd consider making the production data public domain and only make a few units for testing. I don't see a big market, so mass-production is not an option for iComp.

• I understand. I'd appreciate anything you can do. I'm willing to be a tester, of course I'd pay whatever it's worth. C16's and Plus4' are becoming more rarer these days and this helps keep it alive, so the production data would be fantastic for the scene. It might bring in a few more Chameleon customers too :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.