ACA500Plus with heavily modded 6A. Any risks to ACA500Plus or vice versa?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I'm very new to the retro scene. I started with with a C64-NTSC, then C128-NTSC and German C128-PAL, and then to Amiga 500 rev.5 NTSC, and currently looking for an Amiga 1200.

I'm waiting on an ACA500Plus for my A500 rev.5 which is all original and clean. In the meantime, I also just purchased a heavily modded A500 rev.6A machine with 3 physical switches and video outputs added to the back, and I want to make sure these mods won't hurt the ACA500Plus card, or vice versa. ( I figure since this machine is already cosmetically defaced, my OCD radar will lower and I'll be fine leaving this machine out for my nephews to play retro games this summer. {but NOT with the ACA500Plus plugged in ;-) )

I don't really understand what that RAM physical switch is doing.

- Board revision: 6A

- PAL

- Internal GOTEK

- Dual Kickstart with a physical switch based on a Flash ROM - KS 1.3 / 3.1

- Built-in dfo/df1 boot selector with switch

- 1MB onboard CHIP RAM upgrade

- RAM physical switch - 2 configs - 1. onboard CHIP RAM 1MB (trap door port disabled) 2. 0.5 MB (trap door port enabled) + 0.5 MB trapdoor memory expansion

- Build-in modulator allowing to connect color composite and S-Video signal (crisp video output) - module

thanks!

• There is no danger plugging the ACA500plus into this machine. However, there is no use for any of the switches either, as all that can be accomplished with the ACA500plus with menu settings:

- Kickstart selection

- boot selector (even more sophisticated than what you have there)

- chip ram upgrade by using the trapdoor expansion

The one thing that ACA500plus doesn't do is "anything video" - so that mod appears useful if you have an S-Video monitor.

• Thanks Jens,

Cool, just wanted to make sure it would cause no damage.

I guess the mods will be useful when my nephews are using the machine when I hide the ACA500plus.

and sorry about the links.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.