Indivision AGA MK3 - Tips for setting up for a 16:9 display?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Could someone please give me some pointers on how to configure this to give a nice non-distorted 16:9 display on my Toshiba TV?

I have tried for hours and can't seem to get something that both fills the screen but also retains a 1:1 pixel ratio. They always end up slightly distorted in one direction or the other. Between selecting an Amiga screenmode and the tweaks you can make to those plus the VGA one on the Indi plus all the other settings it feels like there's billions of combinations and I'm relying on luck to stumble across the right combination.

My TV has a native resolution of 1366x768. I've installed the HighGFX screenmodes. But yeah I just don't seem to be able to get a working combination. ||

I have managed to pick a VGA mode and tweaked it to get it to perfectly fill the screen and the aspect ratio is right... but I can't get an Amiga mode that works with it. I've attached a photo of it in case it helps.

I've had a got of the 'live edit' mode too where you move the mouse around... that was a disaster, especially given how imprecise and twitchy my Amiga mouse is.

Maybe I'm going about this all the wrong way but I'm calling it a night for now as I'm really frustrated with it now. ||

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• So I persevered some more and finally stumbled upon a screenmode that just worked. HighGFX Super-Hires Laced 1024x768. :)

It is still slightly stretched horizontally but it's useable for now until I can figure out what the hell I'm doing!

I have noticed that It is eating up a lot of chip ram though. I use Fblit but it doesn't seem to be working as effectively as before. Opening up a window full of icons takes a good chunk of chip ram each time, whereas before I fitted the Indi it was taking it from fast ram as intended.

Does Fblit not work with the Indi?

• I use the same screenmode but with a max of 32 colors, it's more than workable. More colors slows down the Amiga even with my Blizzard 1230 IV.

No problems with the FBlit on my Workbench 3.1.4.

Also to mention I use a Eizo S1933 monitor.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• I use the same screenmode but with a max of 32 colors, it's more than workable. More colors slows down the Amiga even with my Blizzard 1230 IV.

No problems with the FBlit on my Workbench 3.1.4.

Also to mention I use a Eizo S1933 monitor.

Yes it's lovely and crisp - just very slightly squished vertically on a 16:9 display but I think I can live with it :)

Sounds like we have fairly similar setups, I have the Blizzard Mk4 030 (with the SCSI add-on) and 3.1.4. I tend to find that anything lower then 64 colours leads to my icons getting messed up after a period of time using workbench. Just tested Fblit and it's working correctly again... no idea what was happening with it earlier as it definitely wasn't working then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had my A1200 on all day today and noticed some corruption on screen after several hours which suggests it is heat related. Thankfully it disappeared when I enabled the CCKLine Capacitance option. My Amiga gets very warm indeed with the Indi fitted though - it used to run pretty cool before. Do you find that to be the case too? Just a bit concerned that I might need a fan or something as I don't want to stress the board/chips given the age of the machine.

• Yes it's lovely and crisp - just very slightly squished vertically on a 16:9 display but I think I can live with it :)

Sounds like we have fairly similar setups, I have the Blizzard Mk4 030 (with the SCSI add-on) and 3.1.4. I tend to find that anything lower then 64 colours leads to my icons getting messed up after a period of time using workbench. Just tested Fblit and it's working correctly again... no idea what was happening with it earlier as it definitely wasn't working then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had my A1200 on all day today and noticed some corruption on screen after several hours which suggests it is heat related. Thankfully it disappeared when I enabled the CCKLine Capacitance option. My Amiga gets very warm indeed with the Indi fitted though - it used to run pretty cool before. Do you find that to be the case too? Just a bit concerned that I might need a fan or something as I don't want to stress the board/chips given the age of the machine.

I placed a noctua a4x10 flx fan on top of the Indi and didn’t place the metal shield back on the Amiga. You can hear the fan a little when in use but it is the quietest I found. You must have a good psu to power it all. Therefore I bought the ca-psu from Jens.
    The Blizzard produce also some heat, the trapdoor I use is a honeycumb version.

• Yes the 68030 runs pretty hot too. I've been running my A1200 with no trapdoor at all and also 1cm high rubber feet to help give it a bit more air circulation and I was happy with how it was running. However the Indi has changed all that. I'm running with no top shield now too and I will buy one of those fans off Amazon, they're only £13.50 and it looks like a perfect match looking at your photo. I like the fact that it is supposed to be very quiet too!

Would you mind showing a photo of where/how you powered it from please? Also how did you attach the fan to the Indi - glue? Is it blowing air upwards or downwards onto the chip?

• Yes the 68030 runs pretty hot too. I've been running my A1200 with no trapdoor at all and also 1cm high rubber feet to help give it a bit more air circulation and I was happy with how it was running. However the Indi has changed all that. I'm running with no top shield now too and I will buy one of those fans off Amazon, they're only £13.50 and it looks like a perfect match looking at your photo. I like the fact that it is supposed to be very quiet too!

Would you mind showing a photo of where/how you powered it from please? Also how did you attach the fan to the Indi - glue? Is it blowing air upwards or downwards onto the chip?

It’s powered from the diskdrive connection from the mb, a connection with the yellow and black wire. Black goes to black of the fan and yellow to red of the fan. Those “connection things” (don’t know the name in English) from the fan to the wires of the drive are delivered with the Noctua fan. The diskdrive connection with the two extra wires can you made by yourself, I bought mine by AmigaKit.

The fan itself is just with a little tape on both sides on the Indivision (don’t want to break the guarantee rule of the Indi. Also some very small rubber feets placed under the fan.

It’s blowing the air upwards so it can cool a little bit the other parts.

• No problem 😀

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

• I have the 12V version

• 1366x768 is not a great resolution... It's too high for 1 x, but too low for 2 x. I 1920x1080 is much better as you can have PAL x 2 and have 540 lines, which is 512 plus an amount of overscan that the Amiga can easily handle. I've had some success with 960x540 that fills up the entire screen, but I now mostly use 720x540 with black bars on the side.

I guess with 1366x768 I'd try setting that up for 2 x for the Workbench so that would be 683x384, a bit low but workable. Or tweak 1024x768 to show the correct black bars with no stretching. I've got that working for 720x540x2 = 1440x1080 so it should also be possible for 1024x768. Then perhaps set the overscan to a lower resolution to allow for more chip RAM access for the CPU. But for any PAL or NTSC games I don't see any way around a non-integer resolution.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.