Restock rapid road usb

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • We don't make clock port devices any more. It's a) too complicated to install for too many customers and b) too expensive to service with all the returns that are caused by bad power supplies, wrong isntallation (even by resellers who should know better!), bad grounding/shielding and questionable 4-way clock port splitters.

We'll have a different solution for the A1200.

• Hi Jens, that's a shame (or perhaps not, i'll never know) :D

I am not a 1200 owner, but proudly running a a500+,aca500+,aca1233-555 setup.

Unfortunately it seems as that there's no way to get a cd drive to run if there's no USB option available.

Some other cards do offer a free ide slot, but I just love x-surf.

I have been pondering on rainy days though, wondering weither, if one could fix a male-cf>male-ide extension cable, it might be an option to sacrifice a cf slot snd reverting it back to ide.

Is that anywhere in the realm of possibilities, or just utter madness kocked up by a layman's over enthusiastic fantasy running wild ?

One other thing that mighIt be more feasable is perhaps mounting an optical drive of on of the pc's in my network.

Is this something that could be considered achievable and if so, would you have any pointers as to where to start ?

Is there, as far as you are aware, a reasonabe option to add an opticl drive to my setup?

Hope you can shed some light in my fantastic darkness and thank you kindly for considdering.

• Is that anywhere in the realm of possibilities, or just utter madness kocked up by a layman's over enthusiastic fantasy running wild ?

While it sounds technically possible to get signals from the CF card slot and feed it to a CD drive, you still need power for that drive, and you need software drivers. Yes, the CF cards "speak" IDE, but CD drives "speak" Atapi, so the existing drivers won't work, even if you do wire up such a contraption.

Is there, as far as you are aware, a reasonabe option to add an opticl drive to my setup?

I don't even see a reason why you want to add an optical drive at all. Granted, there are some 40 Aminet CDs and a few collection titles that you may want to access every now and then, but the number of CDs with Amiga-related content is finite. With that in mind, you have two options for accessing these CDs:

a) make a FAT-formatted card with the CD images on. A 64Gig card will easily hold over 100 CD-Images of 650MBytes on average. This saves quite some volume as well :-)

b) use the X-Surf-500 to make a connection to your local LAN and use network storage (NAS or even online) to access that content. The X-Surf-500 is even cheaper than RapidRoad, and it's much lighter on the software side - works with 68000 if you want to. Speed-wise, it beats the clock port version of RapidRoad as well.

• Please keep in mind that you most likely have to enable SMB1 on youre nas when you want to use a networkshare.

Another solution is to use a PI as a simple nas with openmediavault. This is a lot cheaper then bying a NAS and fast enough for an amiga with the pi3.

If i remember correctly you have to set "ntlm auth = yes" in the advanced section under SMB/CIFS to enable to use the share from an amiga over smb

• Hi there and thanks for the replies.

However practical they all are, I am aware of them and have mounted cd's directly from my nas with the xsurf.

My fanboyish quest lies in the physical loading of the medium, not just a means to the end of running

software that appeared on said medium.

Let's also not forget my collection of old audio cd's desperately waiting in a cover of dust for me to find a use for

them.

Anyways, as it seems there is no 'for hand' easy to accomplish option for such a system when the the given

premise is that the network connection has to be x-surf 500.

Nevertheless your efforts are much appreciated.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.