Flash with Chaco also possible in Cartridge mode ?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello !
    I've used my two Chameleons in standalone mode until recently but now that I had some unstable operation of the cable loom I wanted to try my V1 in Cartridge mode !
    I just wonder if I can still flash my MiniMig-AGA cores on this with the data-USB cable as usual or If I have to disconnect it from the C64 every time ? Thats not ideal as it sits hard in the slot. :-/ I was planning to use a laptop sitting besides the C64 for the purpose of flashing. I've already tried once to update the C64 core with the sdcard method and that went great ! Very easy. But I need to flash a newer MiniMig-AGA core now ! And wondered if I could use the C64 as power for that too ? (But pull the SDcard ?) =O:saint:

• Yes you can use Chaco in cartridge mode. The cable loom has a protection diode that prevents C64 power going into the PC. Make the USB connection after you turn the C64 on for best chance of success. Disconnected the USB when you are done to prevent the PC powering the Chameleon when you switch off the C64. Yes, SDcard needs to be removed before using Chaco also in cartridge mode.

• Peter, I believe Dag asked because he didn't want to use the (now unreliable) cable loom at all - and that's also possible.

Dag, the most likely source of your cable loom being unreliable is that it's not making good ground connection. That's because GND is only on the outer shell of the mini-DIN connector, but not on any pin. The trick is to carefully bend the shell out of it's perfect round into a slightly-oval shape. Emphasis on "carefully" - start small, as bending it back is even harder.

• Great ! I might try that bending ! But now I know I can flash MM-AGA with chaco from laptop, when powered from C64 !
    - and yeah I decided to go to cartridge mode due to the sometime loom caused resets !

( Another thing: I have very big problems getting the middle freeze button to work these days on my V1 ! Are that a known wear and tear situation ? I tried the remote control and it freezes correctly everytime with that. So must be that the middle button has gotten wonky.

Other two buttons works, for now atleast :-D
    And I can use the remote to freeze with. Luckily I have two remotes too :-) )

• Well I can happily announce I managed to flash the MM-AGA core with the TC64-v1 in cartridge mode -
    I did as suggested - connect data cable to TC64 - turn on C64, connect cable to laptop - launch ./Chaco -> flash core !

And I tested the button with the hwtest :-( sadly report that it is malfunctioning - but If I wiggle it a little while pushing it responds !
    So I guess I'll stick with freezing via the remote mainly, and if I really need to I'll wigglepush the middle button !

Anyway it was surreal to run MiniMig "on" C64 :-D

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.