Unijoysticle2 on Turbo chameleon (and C64 Reloaded MKII)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

Just a question before i destroy anything..

I just got a UniJoysticle2 bluetooth device for the c64 to use bluetooth controllers.. Working great on a original C64. But would it be safe to use this on the TC64v2 and on the C64 Reloaded MK2?

It takes its power from the C64 port, but there is also a switch on it tu ise an external powersupply.

Best regards,

Marco

• Yet another one of those ESP32 hacks. Sigh. And I don't see any provisions for isolating the power consumption from the host computer, other than the "external supply" option, which appears to be just a diode in both power paths. I wonder what's so hard in adding an inductor and a high-capacity, low-ESR cap to smooth out the current pulses that the ESP32 draws!?

The design is using proper open-drain drivers for the joystick signals, so no problem there. It's just power that I see problems with: Expect glitches on any design that uses a real PLL, including Chameleon V1, Chameleon V2, C64 Reloaded MK2 and the 8701-repleacement that we make (any version). They all will get interference from the ESP32.

I recommend to not even assemble the diode that takes power from the C64 or the Chameleon Docking Station, so you *must* use an external power supply. This may make it more compatible. While you could argue that it can be considered "user error" to not use an external power supply, I urge anyone using the ESP32 to add elaborate filtering into the power path of that thing. Yes, it's cheap and therefore tempting to use in DIY-projects, but it is hard to supply power to it without messing up other things that run off the same supply.

• Hi Jens, thanks for the answer.

Well, just got it from a friend, and i'm not to technicall, so that why i a asked ;). I read the forum on a reguler basis, so i know some hardware just doest go together that well.

This version has a switch, this switch selects external or c64 power. But if i understand correctly i have to find someone to check this if this realy isolates the power --or maybe remove the switch completly to avoid confusion what position it is,

• The diode you mentioned is removed and the switch to select powersource is removed too.

Works very nice with a gamepad.

I dont think its used because its cheap, i looked up the prebuild price and its more expensive then a competition pro. I think its more tempting because the lack of new good quality joysticks/joypads. Atleast thats how i see it..

I tried several c64 compatible joysticks --besides the competition pro thats working fine-- to replace my old Arcade ones, from some well known online stores, and they all worked like...well how do i put this nicely,.. well , not! Especially the gamepads.

Some times you have to use a hammer to operate them. And maybe i'm looking in the wrong place, but thats the thing with online shopping, You cant touch and try something. You have to trust the advertisement, so you try to find stores with a 'good name'.

With this device you have a lot more choice over a lot more nicely working controllers without the need of any extra tools to play a game :) And its even possible --since 1 day here-- to go to a game store to try one and other.

Besides the availability, wireless is more comfortable, The signal is reaching my couch now, no need to sit on the ground while playing in the living room 8o .

On the other hand, i wouldnt have bought it my self -- it was a gift from a good friend-- Mostly because i cant tell if its ok or not to use, But i have to say, it works nice and can see why people want this and the issues they run in with new wired controllers.

• Hello,

I want to hookup my Fantomg8 to my c64 with a mssiah card, and i noticed that they also have a device called 'SavYour' that can be used to connect USB mice and joysticks (i'm not interested in the 1541 part..).

Does anybody have any experience with this combination on a C64R-MKII? The Mssiah card works perfect (already tried one from a friend), but i find the Savyour interesting too, but dont know if this is save to use on the C64MKII.

According to the documentation it has some safety messures to not 'overload' the joystick port of the C64

I know this is not an icomp product, but hopefully someone can tel me if its safe to use or not on the C64-reloaded..

Best regards

Marco

• Strange thing is that the mssiah is well known, but i cant find any (helpfull) review on the sayyour..

But sometimes its a gamble, both should arive next week. Then i can make good use of both sid's (new 8565R5 and old ceramic 6581R4) in the reloaded with atleast the mssiah ;)

• From a user perspective its work as expected with a (wireless) mouse, and lowpower USB stick in the C64R-Mk2

I dont see any negative effect (screen, audio, crashes..)

The failsafe for power usage seems to work too, it rejected my USB joystick and some USB sticks too with a flashing lite that indicates to much current. Think you need a realy basic usb joystick to get this to work

Only downside for me is that i cant use the TC64 with the mssiah card te get easy disk acces and VGA out..

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.