Problems updating to P96 3.0.2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all,

Yesterday I bought the latest version of P96, but I can't get it working.
    Last version was 1.43, the one that came with my Pixel64, so I though it's about time to update it :)
    I remember that I had to install it twice to make it works (first install + update, don't know why, but it's been the only thing to make it works).

Here's what I did yesterday and today:
    - Clean uninstall of the old version (deleted all the files, cleaned the user-startup from picasso96 entries)
    - First install (as the 1.43, it copies all the files but the settings)
    - Update (create the settings file)
    - Cold reboot

At this point there should be the extra screen modes selectable, but there's nothing pixel64 related (only the amiga standard ones). And there's no board to attach to the p96 settings.
    Then i checked:
    - The manual

- the FAQ

- the files and their locations (all correct)
    - the startup-sequence (loadmondrvs)/user-startup (picasso96 assign)
    - the www

but I can't find a solution. If I double click "pixel64" in the monitor folder i get the famous "could not create graphic board context for Pixel64" (tooltypes have all the right settings).

Sorry if it's all a little confusing, I tried my best to explain the issue.
    TIA for the help.

• I tried a file by file installation, replacing tho old installation file one by one, rebooting after every copy. I just kept the old settings file. Everything worked until I copied the Libs/Pixel64.card over.
    Then I hex compared the old one and the new one (i know nothing about programming, so it's the only way for me to look for differences), and the new one is missing a reference to the ateobus.library (the Pixel64 is attached to an ISA bridgeboard, the ateobus).

Could it be the reason why my graphic card isn't recognized anymore with this update?

• We do not have any Ateo bus adapter to test with, so I believe you're the first customer with this weird setup after all these years. What happens if you replace the new .card file with your old one - does that make it work?

• Everything that's in our source repository is "the latest we have" - if Ateo has updated something without sending it "upstream" to Tobias and Alexander, then we don't have it.

Note that the card driver is not changed at all, and it is based on the Cirrus chip driver. We do maintain the Cirrus driver, so any card driver that uses that will automatically use the latest version.

• I need to speak to Thor about this - I have no idea who has worked on the Pixel64 card driver, if that person is still around and what the cause of the mouse pointer problem may be. Could be that an IO area of the Pixel64 card is mapped to a different address and the pointer can't be set for that reason.

If you have contact to the person(s) who made the AteoBus back then, you could also do some social engineering.

• I can have the pointer back at 68060 expenses, enabling SOFTSPRITE in the Pixel64.card tooltypes. Of course it's a workaround and not a solution.
    I'm also noticing that something is slower, like the dialog box inside directory opus, for one thing.
    I made two short videos to show you the issue (unlisted on youtube).

Picasso96 1.43 works fine and fast dialog box:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NgEH96uRs8

P96 3.0.2 with pointer issue, black screen before opening a full screen software, and slow dialog box:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A45-8WUfZ4

EDIT: New file used, and it works.
    The pixel64 is now recognized and the pointer is as it should be. The black screen when I load fullscreen applications and the slow dialog box remain.

• Thanks for the feedback - please understand that this is all "from a distance" and with a good amount of guessing. One thing that we currently have contradicting information about is the autoconfig information of this product. Could you please run "showconfig" and "showconfig debug" in a shell and post the screenshot and/or text output here?

• The black screen when I load fullscreen applications and the slow dialog box remain.

The black screen is caused by P96 "migrating" the old screen: It is moved from gfx card memory into fastmem to make space for the next one - what you observe is expected behaviour. About the dialog boxes: You did not mention the version of the OS that you are running, but since P96 V3 has been developed along side OS3.1.4, it might be a good idea to go for this new OS.

As an internediate step (and if you don't want to spend money just yet), please check version 45 of Layers.library available on Aminet.

• KS 3.X

That sounds like the Cloanto thing that has.. well.. "mixed feedback" to put it mildly. We don't test against it, and we certainly don't endorse it.

"Loadmoduled" the layers.library 45 and everything works as expected.

Thanks - before I close this, would you please run the "showconfig debug" command so we have the current Ateobus autoconfig information? It seems like our information is outdated, and while we're at it, we might as well fix it for all Ateobus users (whatever amount of users there is left..).

• would you please run the "showconfig debug" command so we have the current Ateobus autoconfig information? It seems like our information is outdated, and while we're at it, we might as well fix it for all Ateobus users (whatever amount of users there is left..).

Sure. I'll do it tonight.

Thank you.

• PROCESSOR: CPU 68060/68060fpu/68060mmu

CUSTOM CHIPS: AA PAL Alice (id=$0023), AA Lisa (id=$00F8)

VERS: Kickstart version 45.61, Exec version 45.20, Disk version 45.3

RAM: Node type $A, Attributes $5 (FAST), at $66000000-$6BF7FFFF (95.5 meg)

Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $4000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)

BOARDS:

=======================================================================

Board + ROM (HD?) (phase 5): Prod=8512/17($2140/$11) (@$EA0000 128K)

ConfigDev structure found at location $4858

==== Board ID (ExpansionRom) information:

er_Manufacturer =8512=$2140=(~$DEBF)

er_Product =17=$11=(~$EE)

er_Type =$D2

(type 3, size 128K, not for free list, ROM diag vec valid, not chained)

er_Flags =$0

(no space preference, can be shut up)

er_InitDiagVec =$80

DiagCopy at =$64C0

==== Configuration (ConfigDev) information:

cd_BoardAddr =$EA0000

cd_BoardSize =$20000 (128K)

cd_Flags =$0 (CONFIGME bit cleared)

Board (unidentified): Prod=16707/255($4143/$FF) (@$400000 4meg)

ConfigDev structure found at location $4088

er_Manufacturer =16707=$4143=(~$BEBC)

er_Product =255=$FF=(~$ 0)

er_Type =$C7

(type 3, size 4meg, not for free list, no ROM diag vec, not chained)

er_Flags =$40

(no space preference, can not be shut up)

er_InitDiagVec =$0

cd_BoardAddr =$400000

cd_BoardSize =$400000 (4096K)

cd_Flags =$2 (CONFIGME bit still set)

Board (unidentified): Prod=16707/254($4143/$FE) (@$2E0000 128K)

ConfigDev structure found at location $40D0

er_Product =254=$FE=(~$ 1)

er_Type =$C2

(type 3, size 128K, not for free list, no ROM diag vec, not chained)

er_Flags =$40

er_InitDiagVec =$0

cd_BoardAddr =$2E0000

Board (unidentified): Prod=16707/252($4143/$FC) (@$2C0000 128K)

ConfigDev structure found at location $4118

er_Product =252=$FC=(~$ 3)

er_Type =$C2

(type 3, size 128K, not for free list, no ROM diag vec, not chained)

er_Flags =$40

er_InitDiagVec =$0

cd_BoardAddr =$2C0000

• Hi,

and thanks for the showconfig output.

Here's another new version for Pixel64 - please double-check if you really still need the ateobus.library, as it *should* run completely without it. You can easily test this by moving the file from LIBS: to a different location, then reboot the computer.

• I'm going to test it, but I also have an ethernet card (AteoNet) attached to the AteoBus, and I think that ateobus.library is needed.

EDIT: I confirm that it works without the ateobus.library (but the ateonet doesn't, so I have to copy it back :)).

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.