Desperately waiting for news about the C64 PSU

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • The C64 PSU is still not scheduled. The primary brick availability is not a problem for the C64, as I will use the Commodore 12V/2A units. 24W is plenty for a C64! My main problem is time. However, I do see the need for this product, and I see *so* many Amigans being extremely happy about the CA-PSU news that I believe the same is about to happen in the C64 world. There is not a single product on the market that fulfills safety standards or is even covered by a product liability insurance.

Jens

• Yes, of course. However, it will include a critical instruction: Install the upper and lower shield, tighten all shield/board screws. The shield of the C128 plays a vital role in computer stability. Without it, you can measure over 0.7V AC between the grounded, opposite corners.

Jens

• oh no :-/ Is this why my C128 PSU broke a few powercycles after connecting it to the ungrounded wall socket ? :-/ Damn old houses with only two prong sockets :-( (I have the shields inside though - not opened the machine, but without a grounded socket thats no matter ? :-/ )

• The grounded wall plug only plays a role if you're measuring conducted emissions. If you think that EMI is a problem, you can add local grounding to your wall sockets: Just make a link between ground and null (or whatever you call the non-phase conductor). However, this isn't considered good practise, as it eliminates the second function of the ground wire: Protection. You may be able to add an FI switch with some clever positioning in the line to the respective room, but before you attempt to figure that out for your computer room/man cave, I suggest to do that for the bathroom(s) first :-)

I believe that local grounding is still better than only two wires IMHO, and the good practise while executing bad practise is to label each socket as "locally grounded", so nobody gets an idea of false safety.

If the PSU broke, I believe it's because of ageing caps, possibly a blown regulator. This can happen with or without grounded wall plugs. After all, the first C128 PSUs have crossed 38 years of service now. They have been designed for 220V mains, while we've had the voltage in central Europe changed to 230V with 10% variantion in either direction in the meantime (not sure if you've had a similar change in Norway?). This means higher thermal stress on these old components.

Jens

• I have groundprongs on kitchen and bathroom circuits but unfortunately not in the retro computer room :-( Though I have plugged my PCs to the kitchen outlet :-O
    hrmf commodore should really have foreseen the 40ies crisis of these products ;-) I had expected them to work into their ninties ! :-D

(EDIT
    Btw, how the C128 PSU "broke" is that its "making strange crackling noises", no magic smoke or explosions. after that I didnt dare switch on the C128, and just cut the switch on the powerstrip on the floor.)

• Btw, how the C128 PSU "broke" is that its "making strange crackling noises", no magic smoke or explosions. after that I didnt dare switch on the C128, and just cut the switch on the powerstrip on the floor.

Good idea, as that sounds like isolation problems in the transformer.

Jens