looking for tips - unstable ide with compact flash and aca 1233

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I don't know really what is going on. I have an A1200 with aca 1233 bought back in 2015. I use this machine from time to time since I have vamps in other machines, but it is not as compatible as the aca. I use the scart for video nothing else in the machine.. PSU is meanwell RT65B.

It has been working 100% stable for years. Now two weeks ago I ran in disk errors. Now since then even with other CF card and new install, after moving the CF to A1200 it runs into disk errors. I can't use this system for longer then one hour, and then they are back. Reading the cf card in hdtools gives garbage information on the real A1200. Somethimes recycling the power and rebooting solves this. Somethimes I get the rom and it does not boot.

when I partition and use in winuae (workbench 3.1.4 and betterwb) it remains stable - no disk errors. I tried with MMU tools and without.

I also tested the cf card in windows full format, no errors..:/

Any advice would be welcomed. =O

• PSU is meanwell RT65B.

First culprit: A known-bad PSU. Please read our PSU FAQ and replace that with a CA-PSU.

Next, we'll have to look at the complete system. Sometimes such errors can be caused by too-long cables or a clock port device being added that is also not buffered (I assume the IDE->CF adapter is not buffered, which is problematic in itself).

However, the known-bad PSU is what you should fix first.

• To be honest, I did open the machine and I saw there was a fast ata in the machine, after removing it everything was fine. I did not expect it since I have one elsewhere. I am sure this can only be a second hand one no order history.

Removed and rockstable as expected with the aca.

Maybe save some money, the newer aca's have more ide speed right? How much should MB/second should I get with this one?

It is an interesting faq, and as soon I have some budget for the project i'll buy the ca-psu. However that said ripple is filtered at the power connector and voltage losses can be compensated. Of course this won't be as good as a two unit psu. Good idea, try to google how you did that could be handy for ham radio as well. Not much ripple on scope though. In amiga world they use atx psu these day's, and as far as I see that 5V is more unstable. I had lots of trouble with that.

• To be honest, I did open the machine and I saw there was a fast ata in the machine, after removing it everything was fine.

THis is likely to be a power issue, as the FastATA is built with the very first CPLDs that have ever been released: MACH chips. They produce an enormous amount of heat (about 1W per chip), and your PSU does not compensate for the cable loss, so any additional load will reduce the available voltage inside the computer.

Maybe save some money, the newer aca's have more ide speed right? How much should MB/second should I get with this one?

The on-board IDE of the A1200 is accelerated "moderately" - the 25MHz version gets about 2.5MB/s, and the 50MHz gets to just over 4MB/s - measured with a rather slow 128MByte DOM. You can expect about twice as much from a physical harddrive with cache.

The local CF card slot on the ACA1234 is faster than that. I'll make a few measurements later this week.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.