ACA500+, Rev 5, 512kb Trapdoor - Do I still need to cut traces or modify the board with 8372A Agnus?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear Amiga Fans,

I have a Rev 5 Amiga 500 with the Commodore 512KB trapdoor expansion, and about to order the ACA500+ board for it.

I see in the Wiki that you can enable 1 MB of chipram with this combo and ACA500+ if you have an ECS Agnus.

The question is - typically to enable more Chipram on Rev 5 + 8372/8372A you need to modify the board - cut traces and/or solder wires. Do I need to do this with the ACA500+? or can I just install an 8372A Agnus and the ACA500+ and achieve 1MB chip with that combo? (+ the commodore expansion)

Thanks!

• The question is - typically to enable more Chipram on Rev 5 + 8372/8372A you need to modify the board - cut traces and/or solder wires. Do I need to do this with the ACA500+?

Not needed with the ACA500plus.

or can I just install an 8372A Agnus and the ACA500+ and achieve 1MB chip with that combo? (+ the commodore expansion)

Yes, that's all you need to do. Note that the computer will "normally" start in NTSC mode if you don't modify anything, but there is a menu setting "force PAL" in the ACA500plus that simplifies chip ram expansion to this easy level that you have described.

• The display is correct: It sows what the computer has without the ACA500plus options. If you launch the system with F1, you'll automatically have the best config available, including 1M Chip ram.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.