ACA500Plus and USB mouse adapter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have just installed the ACA500Plus card on a A500+ and confirmed that both slots seems to work fine.

Flashed latest firmware, installed workbench 3.1 on the boot CF card (16gb sandisk 50MB/s), got the aux card recognized (16gb sandisk 30MB/s).

However I could not get the mouse (Logitech M331) to work through Lotharek's wireless usb mouse adapter. The mouse/adapter works fine when the ACA500Plus is removed and the Amiga boots from the stock kickstart 2.04 and OS.

I tried resetting the USB adapter, tried different clock speed from the card, tried 1.3 and 3.1 workbench.

Is there a known compatibility issue between the ACA500Plus and Lotharek's adapter?

Thanks

• Is there a known compatibility issue between the ACA500Plus and Lotharek's adapter?

Not that I would know of. However, power supply might be a problem here, and it may be more problematic if the mouse adapter does not have special provisions for working with lower-than-specified voltages. The 5V line of the joystick and mouse ports have current-limiting resistors, which make it mandatory to test a product with under-voltage. I can confirm that this was done for our Micromys product, but if a developer chooses USB, he must have buck/boost switch mode regulators to make sure that the voltage stays in the USB-spec'd ranges. To my knowledge, your adapter of choice does not have that.

Try a good power supply or a good mouse adapter. We offer both :-)

• Thanks for the detailed explanation and it makes perfect sense now.

I use a new PSU from Keelog 5V/4A, 12V/2A, -12V/0.5A. However your CA-PSU delivers higher current which would probably solve this issue.

Now I need to consider getting the CA-PSU and/or the Micromsys V5

• I use a new PSU from Keelog

That one is known-bad, as it uses a MeanWell chassis, which is not suitable for an Amiga. Read all about the technical details in our PSU FAQ. In essence, you have been fooled - that PSU is sold with false advertising, as it violates three out of three key specifications of the original Commodore specifications, also linked to from our FAQ.

However your CA-PSU delivers higher current which would probably solve this issue.

It's not the higher current that we deliver - it's the more precise regulation. You will hardly ever need the full current that CA-PSU can deliver. I merely chose a more powerful DC-DC converter because I wanted better efficiency and higher numbers on the spec sheet, as not many people will go all the way and really dive into the details. Higher numbers in combination with the better regulation makes it easier to sell, and the added cost was marginal compared to the 4A chip that I've used in early development.

Now I need to consider getting the CA-PSU and/or the Micromsys V5

The CA-PSU is a no-brainer, especially because you should be able to get your full money back on the Keelog PSU (false advertising is pretty severe - PayPal should help you getting the money back). Micromys V5 might be worth just for the ability to use the scroll wheel. The one thing you need to make sure is that your mouse can "talk" PS2. USB has these two distinct disadvantages of requiring higher voltage and it has higher lag, so you may be experiencing an improvement in responsiveness with Micromys as well.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.