Question about ACA1233n-40 availability

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • ACA1234 money finally escaped my pockets...

It bought a second ACE2b and a C64 Reloaded MK2

So...once I've mended my pockets... I'll try saving back up again...

Though I'm rapidly coming to the uneasy conclusion that I 'have' Amiga's and what I actually 'collect' is iComp stuff ;)

• Though I'm rapidly coming to the uneasy conclusion that I 'have' Amiga's and what I actually 'collect' is iComp stuff

Nothing wrong with that, but I guess I'm biased :-)

ACA1234 is just going into production next month, but it still has to go through a lot of development - there's more software involved with this one than with any other A1200 accelerator before.

• I'm approaching a dangerous level of money in my pockets again for this ACA1234 accelerator...
    In another week...I might have enough put aside for even an 040 accelerator card....
    I certainly hope that another 'shinny thing' does not appear before these go to market :)

• Chip shortage isn't the only problem we have in the real-world economy. I could write a loooong story about the ACA1234 development, and especially the production hell we're going through.

• WOOOF!

Accelerator money escaped pockets again...this time a Checkmate Case.
    About $400 CDN for a bit of plastic and tin...
    I'm still rolling around on the ground trying to smother the flames coming out of my pockets.

ZZ9000 should be here in a week or two as well.

Apparently it pretty useless until I upgrade beyond a 68010.

I suppose that means I need start saving up for an accelerator again..

• No worries - quantities in production will last for quite some time. Just make sure that the Checkmate case does not lure you into buying an unsuitable power supply (such as an ATX or a Meanwell-based contraption). Our PSU FAQ has all the details.

• Just make sure that the Checkmate case does not lure you into buying an unsuitable power supply (

Well...there is this shady looking fellow who's been trying to sell me his monkey that rides a little stationary bicycle with a traction dynamo.
    Apparently the monkey is trained to peddle at a very precise cadence, keeping the dynamo at the correct voltage for the Amiga 500..

I just assumed the monkey compensates for cable loss, tire wear, accelerator load, banana shortages, etc automatically...

But I can see from your email, that I should look more deeply into these matters, maybe ask the traveller some pointed questions about what sort of guarantees come with the monkey...

I'm not sure this would be much worse than other methods current deployed to power Amigas.... :D

Fooling aside:

I was just going to use a few MeanWell IRM-xx-xx modules, a separate supply module for each voltage rail, and an extra IRM-05-5 always-on supply letting the ATX PWRON signal drive an Omron solid-state relay, which switches the main supplies on and off, like ATX supplies do..

The IRM-60-5 supply would do the +5V@10A heavy lifting, without additional filtering it provides 80mv ripple, 1% load regulation, so getting close to the 50mV spec...I can give it some serious caps on output to stiffen it up. About $70 CDN for the works.

Have a great day :)

• I have just added the ACA1234 product description to the shop. Not all pictures there yet, versions still need their own description, but you'll get the idea :-)

• YAY!...

TAKE MY MONEY.....

Damn...that buttons not working yet...
    But it looks like I might be able to buy the 50MHz one...

It's in the 'savings' zone.

Humm... No indication of Monkey based PSU compatibility in the description...

Well I'll give it a go all the same...

At 50MHz it likely goes through a lot of bananas :D

• Wow, the CF slot was the secret "key feature", and it's very impressive.

If I understand correctly, you've been able to achieve 10MB/s with a compact flash card?

This would blow away all other alternatives when using a CF card (including IDEfix+express, 4xbuffered IDE+gayle adaptor from amigakit, of fastata board) ... which I think all of them achieve way less than 10MB/s from CF cards.

So this would render useless the whole spectrum of IDE enhancers for the Amiga, if the sole purpose is using a CF card as a HD.

Am I missing something here?

I'm also very intested to know if the max speed is dependent on the processor clock rate. (for example how much would be possible to achieve with the cheapest, 25Mhz card).

• If I understand correctly, you've been able to achieve 10MB/s with a compact flash card?

Take that with a grain of salt, as Sysinfo is not a good benchmark.

So this would render useless the whole spectrum of IDE enhancers for the Amiga, if the sole purpose is using a CF card as a HD.

That's the whole goal: Get anything that produces heat out of the A1200.

I'm also very intested to know if the max speed is dependent on the processor clock rate. (for example how much would be possible to achieve with the cheapest, 25Mhz card).

I don't have a screen shot for that, but of course it's slower, as PIO means "CPU is moving the data". Will publish benchmarks for that this coming week. For the moment, I'm just *so* happy that we have been able to produce these cards despite the global chip shortage.

• That’s great news the CF slot on the ACA1234. Finally fast IDE that can go to 10MB/s. Looking for to buy the ACA1234-50 for my A1200 with the new AOS 3.2. It’s a beautiful 68030 card to combine with the Indivision AGA MK3. Is’t faster than the ACA1233n-55.

A1200 GHOST Rev2B RECAP TSB 2020 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 / Blizzard 1230 IV

A1200 CD32 Rev1D.4 RECAP TSB 2019 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 / ACA1234-50
    A1200 BLACK Rev2B RECAP TSB 2018 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 /
    Blizzard 1230 IV

A1200 TRANSLUCENT Rev1D.4 RECAP TSB 2018 /
    CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK2CR / ACA1233-55 LE
    A500 BLACK Rev6A / CA-PSU / ACE2 / Indivision ECS V1-V2 / ACA500Plus V1-V2 / ACA1221 Rev1.3 / ACA1233n-55

C64R MK1-MK2 TRANSPARENT 2015 DM / iComp 12V 2.0A / TC64 V1

Edited once, last by JohanSSID ().

• Is’t faster than the ACA1233n-55.

The 55MHz card was faster than the 50MHz version of the ACA1234. However, the extreme cost of selecting the CPUs has brought me to not offer such an overclocked card any more. If you only look at mass storage performance, the ACA1234-50 really kicks ass with the local CF.

• On the other side of the clock questions.

How slow, or in what speed steps can I reduce the clock of an ACA1234 50MHz board ?

It's nice to have the speed for those times when you can benefit,

but I don't like to run my retro gear anywhere close to it's rated limit on a daily basis...

• How slow, or in what speed steps can I reduce the clock of an ACA1234 50MHz board ?

Like the product descriptioin says: Choices are 25, 33, 40 and 50MHz. There is nothing below or in between that. On the technical side, the older ACA1233n design was able to switch between synchronous termination (with the STERM signal) and async termination (with the DSACKx signals), but I had to drop that for the ACA1234, as it does not fit the smaller CPLD. So memory is always "very fast", burst is always available - as opposed to the ACA1233n, which did not do burst when running at a slower speed. That was kind-of-an-extra-brake.

but I don't like to run my retro gear anywhere close to it's rated limit on a daily basis...

Motorola m68k CPUs are extremely robust, and the rest of the card is modern 3.3V logic that has no problems running @80MHz 24/7 (memory controller runs at up to 80MHz). If you want to run the 50MHz card slower, then "half speed" should give you more than enough peace of mind :-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.