Is it a BUG in P96 drivers? Problem with detecting 32bit modes..

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

Recently I started developing using RTG. I found a strange thing, could it be some kind of bug in rtg library?

The problem occurs with 32bit screen mode. I can prove it with this app that is included in P96 devkit. It lists all available modes and checks what they return: (link removed - please upload here) Maybe You could make the following steps to recreate the problem.

When we select 640x480x24 the return result is also 640x480x24 and the ID = $50031200.. but when we choose 640x480x32 the returned value is ALSO 640x480x24(sic!) BUT the ID = $50032300.. So its different modes.

The problem in my case is when I am using CGX api I can't manually give 32 depth parameter to openscreen directly or by best mode, it returns error on opening screen ALWAYS. I must set depth to 24. I noticed that p96OpenScreen from P96 api works ok with given 32, at least on winuae. I don't have Vampire but the testers couldn't open that 32 screen that was set in code.

To open a real 32 screen I had to disable all 24 bit modes and enable only 32 bit modes. The screen that was opened was 32 bit depth despite the given parameter was 24. So the other method to bypass it is to open screen by ID or requester that lists all or 32 modes.

The 32 is important for me because I noticed it is faster that 24. Also my code operates on rgba (32bit) structures which also is faster.

The results are from winuae and Vampire. I tried "old" P96 and 3.01.

Thanks in advance

Yours

Mateusz Staniszew

• Please don't use external hosters that globber up the browser with ads and cookies. Uploading a small binary here is perfectly fine and makes sure that the file remains available for archiving purposes.

Link removed.

Edit: Thinking of this - you might just go the wrong direction. Opening a screen is not a P96-native thing. The whole software package aims at being compatible with OS-compliant software. So what you do is to open a standard screenmode requester, and if P96 is installed, the user will have additional choices. This means that you don't need to program P96-specific, but Amiga-specific.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.