Swinsid Ultimate support

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I am planning to use the sid replacement chip called Swinsid Ultimate with my MK2 board.

Swinsid Ultimate is a 100% full replacement of the original SID including paddle support. (This is the link to its documentation: http://www.nightfallcrew.com/w…inSID_Ultimate_Manual.txt ).

Unfortunately, the Swinsid chip doesn't support the auto detection routines of your board probably because the chip isn’t capable to emulate the voltage signals exactly as the original SID (as stated in the chapter “SID model auto-detection”.

I was wondering if there is a way to force the c64 reloaded board to enable/select the SID type when the auto detection fails.

If there is no way at the moment, are you planning a firmware update to do that in the near future?

Perhaps, having an entry in the mk2 remote control menu that allows to select if the user wants to enable the autodection or manually specifying the SID type.

I think that this feature will be a great addition to your already marvelous board because will give an alternative to the users like me to not rely on an old manufactured SID which might be prone to failure with a prolonged use.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

• SwinSID does not use the Audio-in pin at all. However, the C64RMK2 detects the SID type on the properties of this very pin. Please turn to the manufacturer of the SID-replacement in order to fix this - there is nothing we can do on the firmware of the C64RMK2.

• I tried to contact them and I got no reply.

What about to make the auto detection of the SID optional on C64RMK2 and let the user select the SID type from the remote control menu?

Something like:

Auto dection: [auto, 6581, 8580]

Is it something you can do or willing to do on a firmware update on your board?

Doing this will increase the compatibility with any SID replacement chip on the market like Swinsid nano, ultimate, ArmSid, FPGASid, etc.

Thanks

• There is a very important reason why mk2 has full auto-detection (compared with the manual jumper style on the mk1). The 65xx and 85xx chips require a different supply voltage. Allowing quick access to an override in the menu could cause damage to the retro chips very easily by selecting the wrong option. Or user swaps a chip a few months later forgot that the override has been set and another non-replaceable retro chip bites the dust. So no override.

Although the green LED on the board will be flashing it is only a warning, the SID replacements you listed should still work. It will be treated as a 8580 (as this has the lowest voltage requirement of the two).

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.