Video Capture

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

Quick question - I'm looking to get a HDMI video capture card to send the Amiga output to OBS, and someone mentioned that I'd need to be sure that the card will be compatible with the Indivision.

Are you aware of any issues using Indivision in this way? Or could you recommend a particular card/ external USB capture device?

Thanks in advance,

AndrewC

• Thanks Jens,

I'm not sure I understand - I had no idea the indivision carried an audio signal - are you saying the audio signal on the HDMI causes some issues with video capture?

Cheers,

AndrewC

• As you mentioned HDMI capturing, I do assume we are talking about capturing the output of an indivision AGA mk3 product specifically here. Then yes indeed that can output audio, but this is an option you can enable or disable. It doesn't cause video capture issues as such (AFAIK), but some people experienced problems when trying to capture both the audio and video directly from the digital stream. And changing the output sample rate did fix it. The recommended setting of 96 Khz is widely supported and offers the best quality, so that has been added as a option in recent firmware versions, but for some reason in some rare cases 44.1 or 48 Khz works better.

Of course there is always the option to capture the analog audio directly from the Amiga with an separate audio interface on the PC, if all else fails.

• I couldn't capture audio along with the HDMI video. Not sure yet what the problem is there.

Try changing the output frequency for Audio. While some monitors only work with 96kHz, capture devices mostly like 44.1kHz or multiples thereof.

• As you mentioned HDMI capturing, I do assume we are talking about capturing the output of an indivision AGA mk3 product specifically here.

Hi there,

It's actually a Mk2 CR, which I should have mentioned - I'm assuming there won't be any issues capturing the video from this source into OBS. I have audio captured via a separate audio interface.

Cheers,

AndrewC

• Hi again,

So I eventually got around to getting a video capture device (an Avermedia LGP Lite GL310). It was relatively cheap on ebay, second hand. I've got it all set up but it won't detect/ display the output from the Indivision AGA Mk2 CR. I tested on my laptop and it detected/ displayed the signal no problem. Audio is being captured separately via the device. The passthrough signal is being sent to my monitor so I can still see the Amiga Indivision output, but I'm just getting blank screen on the capture device.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the capture card, so I'm wondering if there are any settings I can try within the Indivision prefs to see if I can get it to work.

Can you think of anything I might be able to try?

Thanks in advance,

AndrewC

• I had a play about with the Indivision prefs and managed to get a picture of sorts (I could see the test screen, but the picture was "rolling", as if there was an issue with the frequency selected.

I have to admit though, I am completely confused by the settings options available and worry that I will break something if I fiddle with them. Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks,

AndrewC

• And... of course, I changed some settings (output frequency) and clicked "test" and it's now no longer displaying anything on my monitor with an out of range warning.

I noticed it writing the cores, which I don't think it should have with the "test" option, but there you go.

So now I have to figure out how to get my display back again :-(

• I noticed it writing the cores, which I don't think it should have with the "test" option, but there you go.

That's expected, as cores can ONLY be sent to the FPGA through the flash chip. THerefore, even when only testing, cores are written to the flash chip. Note that this FPGA family reqruies one core per pixel frequency, as the PLLs are not re-configurable on the fly like with the FPGA on the latest MK3 version.

Still, you can always go back to "normal" if you re-install the software on your Amiga, launch the tool and choose "reflash all" from the drop-down menu. This will bring it back to the 1280x1024 setting that all units have been delivered with.

• Thanks Jens, I'll give that a try. Seems odd that you essentially brick the display when testing modes...

Do you have any suggestions regarding my initial query? The settings for the indivision seem incredibly complex.

Thanks,

AndrewC

• DVI is very un-forgiving in terms of "deviating from the Vesa standard", which is why the tool includes some output-presets that are strictly according to Vesa in terms of sync, porches and visible size - these are spot-on, and only the pixel clock will be slightly off.

I'd first check what kind of resolutions your capture device supports - look for 4:3 (or close to that) sizes with pixel clock in the mid range, where the input PLL of your capture device will have more pull range. A quick search for the thing shows that it only supports 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p, so you're out of luck if it comes to capturing a PAL-SHires-interlace WB. However, 720p should also do the trick - I can't remember if there is a preset for 1280x720, but here's the data:

Pixel Clock 74.250 MHz
    Horizontal Freq. 45.000 kHz
    Vertical Freq. 60.000 Hz

Horizontal Timings
    Active Pixels 1280
    Front Porch 110
    Sync Width 40
    Back Porch 220
    Total Pixels 1650
    Sync Polarity pos

Vertical Timings
    Active Lines 720
    Front Porch 5
    Sync Width 5
    Back Porch 20
    Total Lines 750
    Sync Polarity pos

• Thanks Jens,

I managed to get my settings sorted by plugging into a different monitor that could handle the frequency and then set it back to 60Hz.

I run Workbench in 1024x768 HIGHFX Super-High Res Laced. Current Indivision settings are as follows:

Amiga Mode: HighGFX interlace

VGA Mode: 1024x768 60Hz

Clock: 65.158

H-Freq: 48.48

V-Freq: 60.148

Pixles (should that say Pixels?): 1024

Lines: 768

H-Offset: 0

V-Offset: 0

Width: 1024

Height: 768

Double: S-Hires (Lines Off)

Output: VGA & DVI

V-Sync: Off

My PAL settings are as follows:

VGA Mode: 800x600 60Hz

Clock: 39.909

H-freq: 37.792

V-freq: 60.178

Pixles: 800

Lines: 600

H-Offset: 0

V-Offset: 0

Width: 724

Height: 283

Double: Hires (Lines on)

Output: VGA and DVI

V-sync: Off

I'm not sure what you mean by looking for a pixel clock in the mid range. I'm also not sure whether your comment regarding capturing a PAL Super-High Res workbench has implications for me, based on my HighGFX setup, above.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm not really up to speed on all this!

Thanks,

AndrewC

• Hi there - progress!

I'm getting the attached, which is a big improvement on a black screen, but as you can see it's not quite right. The picturekeeps refreshing and the picture is split weirdly.

I feel like it's just the odd tweak needed here and there - so close!

This is using the 720p settings you showed above by the way.

Cheers,

AndrewC

• This is using the 720p settings you showed above by the way.

...supporting the assumption that the capture device only has a very limited range of screen modes that it can capture. The settings I gave you have fewer lines than your WB, so cropping at the top and bottom is expected. Note that the MK2 flicker fixer does not have a scaler -that has only been added to the feature set with Indivision ECS V2 (continued in V3) and AGA MK3.

Maybe you can reduce the overscan settings in your WB to accomodate for the missing lines?

• Hi,

So the card is able to capture 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p signals. My understanding is that the Indivision can output in each of these resolutions, so I still struggle to understand why it doesn't work.

Would a separate scaler between the Indivision and the capture device solve the issue?

Thanks,

AndrewC

• Actually, would these issues be resolved if I upgraded to the Indivision Mk3?

I had intended to get one, but with Brexit complications I had assumed you weren't shipping to the UK, although I see that this has since resumed for orders over a certain amount.

Thanks,

AndrewC

• My understanding is that the Indivision can output in each of these resolutions, so I still struggle to understand why it doesn't work.

1080p requires more than 135MHz pixel clock, at least with 60 frames/s, which is the most common one. I therefore suggested to use 720p, and your result shows that this is working.

Would a separate scaler between the Indivision and the capture device solve the issue?

Maybe - though I have my doubts about picture quality, and of course price. A scaler with DVI-in and DVI-out will most likely be a professional unit that will set you back the amount of a nice car (well, at least a used one).

Actually, would these issues be resolved if I upgraded to the Indivision Mk3?

Likely, as the max. pixel clock is 165MHz, so 1080p at full frame rate is possible with the new hardware. And yes, I have a number of customers from the UK ordering the MK3, plus another small item to get across the minimum value that's required to legally ship without being required to be VAT-registered in the UK.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.