ACA500plus Action Replay Function

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Please read the documentation in our Wiki. There's a lot of self-explaining menu items, and on top of that, every item is explained there. This support forum is not meant for employees of iComp to copy&paste the documentation that's available in the Wiki :-)

• I have read the wiki pages and the information is not provided there this I why I'm asking here :).

There is no mention of HRTmon ide hard drive switch/support on the ACA500plus wiki pages? I have also checked the registered and firmware sections?

• HRTmon is an open-source piece of software with it's own documentation. I am not an expert on it's use myself - the Wiki just documents how to do settings on the ACA500plus to activate it on a press of the DisMo button. For further HRTmon documentation, I'd check the Aminet archive.

• Yes I have checked here too.

HRTmon does have an IDE/Hard Drive function but it has to be enabled.

It seems the HRTmon built into the ACA500Plus does not have this function enabled. I thought there might of been a setting somewhere in your menu/settings.

Maybe it could but a update?

This feature would enable files such as save states, images, music to be ripped from games and saved directly to the hard drive instead of the floppy drive.

• Sorry for the confusion - I simply did not check the implementation details, but I have now talked to the programmer and have the final explanation why this is disabled and won't be enabled in a future update:

HRTmon must be considered a separate entity accessing the physical media, as it runs without the OS. This means that it does not know about new file systems (only supports FFS), it does not support any partition beyond the 4G barrier, and it accesses the hardware directly, not knowing what AmigaOS still has in it's buffers. Here's where the danger is: If you delete or rename a file from the HRTmon side, then return to operation under the OS and list a directory, bad things might happen if this dir has been read before and is still on the buffers. This also makes emulator+hardfile state saves impractical, as buffers and CF card *will* get out of sync, resuting in constellations like "save a state, then load a different state, but RAM contents are now from state file, with CF contents "from the futire". This will most certainly result in file system corruption or even a crash, as the CF contents and file system buffers don't match.

Making this "safe" would require to boot from floppy, only use an FFS partition in the lower 4G of the card and make sure that AmigaOS will never access the card. This doesn't sound practical at all, and is way too complicated to explain to anyone, unless he/she is a developer. Trouble is that HRTmon can't do additional "sanity tests", so if we'd enable HD commands, you'd always have this inherent danger.

So for the moment, the answer is "please use a floppy for safety reasons". We may make it switchable behind "multiple barriers of user confirmations", but are still discussing how this could be accomplished without opening too many doors for data corruption.

• Thank you for the detailed response Jens.

Reading your reply and some comments I found from Jotd on EAB its making more sense.

The save states function works perfectly on the Action Replay III but can take quite awhile to save and load games. It would be such an awesome feature if it could be speeded up by using the CF card. Me been so naïve, just assumed as HRTmon has an hard drive feature it would be possible.

I'm not 100% but didn't the Action Replay MK4 have hard drive support and if so could that be applied to the ACA500Plus?

• Action Replay MK4

Did that even exist? I talked to the original developers for licensing, and I even got scans of their hand-written notes about the hardware, even an A1200 version that they were planning, but that never saw the light of day - probably because of the problems I described here. Not that 4G-sized media was a problem at the time, but the two-entities accessing a file system without knowing about each other certainly applied.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.