ACE2b drawing distortions on-screen.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've been really happy with the ACE2b but I've been having an issue and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to resolve it. I'm not sure the technical reason why this is occurring but it is more obvious on screens that are refreshing only a portion of the screen instead of the entire screen.

What happen is its draws a line and some pixels on the same row so that it sort of looks like this: _______ .. .

Or something close to that anyways. They get drawn all over the screen and even if you cover them up with a window when you move the window away it will still be there so its persistent. If the whole screen gets refreshed the distortion will go away. It's very distracting in certain circumstances as they are drawn constantly all over the screen during redraws or animation.

Please forgive me if I'm not using the terminology I should be, I'm happy to explain more if its too confusing.

So I'm wondering, is this possibly a connection issue with the PLCC slot, I've tried reseating the ACE2b but it didnt help. I don't think it's heat related as the problem exists even if its been many hours since last boot. Is it possible something is wrong with the Agnus itself? Is it possible I got a bum Agnus?

The only other expansions currently in the system are an indivision ECS v2 (Whatever the latest version was anyways). All other boards I've swapped out and the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• I thought I should also mention that I have used the indivision ECS for many hours before I added the Ace2b and did not see this issue without the ACE2b installed. Just trying to be complete in my descriptions, thanks.

• Third note: I inspected the pins in the socket and they looked fine, but I saw another thread on here and perhaps I should use some IPA and a toothbrush to clean the socket and re-seat. Maybe I'll wait till I get my PAL VBB 2MB chip, I don't like fussing with these sockets very much.

• It would help to see the artefacts, as I can't really imagine what they look lie from your description. Please make a user account, then you can upload pictures to this forum. As for "wait for an Agnus" - I would recommend to make it work with the chip that we've provided first, as removing it will void your warranty.

Please also mention the type of power supply you're using.

• I have seen this same behavior with a 2630 (Standard Clocks 2MB Ram) and a TF534 @ 48Mhz. I have also seen this behavior on the currently installed 68010 when turning off the 68030 (2630) at boot by pressing both mouse buttons. I can try to put the original 68000 back in and completely remove the 2630 if that would help trouble shoot this. Not a problem, just let me know. I can't remember if I already tried without any accelerator being installed.

I am fairly certain that without the Ace2b installed the TF534 didn't have this issue.

• I just retested with only the Ace2b and the Indivision ECS v2 as the absolute only add-ons in the machine besides the 68010 replacing the 68000 and I get the same issue. The next step would be to scrub the connector and reconnect or replace the 1MB Agnus back in and see if that resolves the issue. Just let me know what you think to do next.

Thanks.

• Please try putting back the 1MB Agnus. This has two possible causes, one is mis-communication between Agnus and RAM (which is all on ACE2b, all on-board chipram is switched off), or the less likely cause is a hold time issue caused by Gary and the four TTL chips that form the data path to the CPU.

If you see that it doesn't occur with the 1MB Agnus, we'll have to take a look at the ACE2b here.

• Ok, new development:

After removing the Ace2b and reinstalling the old Agnus I now get an error upon boot:

Not enough memory.

Error: 3001 8002 Task: 00203210

I read in the instructions that upon removal of the ACE2b and reinstall of the old agnus and gary that if you have problem it could be that the Agnus or Gary sockets have gone bad. I'm guessing since I get the error message and a picture its probably not the Agnus socket.

I can either try to replace the ACE2b again and see if that returns it to its prior state, or I can order a new socket and replace that and try again.

Or do you suspect something else entirely?

I should also mention I have 2 Garys that I have tried and both do the same thing.

• The more probable suspect is the Agnus socket, and most of all the Agnus corner pins. I've had more than one occasion where the corner pins were touching each other at the bottom of the chip, so please remove the chip, take a close look at the bottom of the chip and bend pins into place where needes.

Then look at the socket pins, make sure that they are not pushed too far in, maybe clean them with IPA and an old toothbrush.

• You were correct one of the corner pins needed some adjustment, and it all works fine again. Also with the ECS Agnus back in none of the screen distortions occur anymore. Does it mean that pin contact could have been causing the issue with the Ace2b? Should I try to insert it again?

What are your next recommendations.

Thanks again for all your time.

• Does it mean that pin contact could have been causing the issue with the Ace2b? Should I try to insert it again?

Yes, please re-insert ACE2b and see if the distortions still occur. Contact problems are the main causes for non-functioning hardware.

• Well, I can't get anything out of my Amiga other than black or solid green screen now despite messing with the pins in the socket. I've ordered some replacement 84pin PLCC sockets and will just have to replace it before I can return to this testing. Thanks for your help, I will get back to you in a couple weeks I imagine.

• I didn't have much luck with changing the PLCC socket. I guess it was beyond my skill, but I think there may have been some repairs done to the board previously that I was unaware of as they were either hidden by solder or by the socket itself on the frontside of the board. Live and learn, I'll keep the board for parts or repair as hopefully my skill will improve. I didn't do anything that I thought would damage the board, I used a solder pump and when the pin moved I pumped out the solder though it was difficult with 2 pins and once I got the socket out it seemed like the mask had been etched away and replaced with a blob of solder. I don't have enough knowledge but I know that it's my fault and I don't think I can repair the board now.

I'm going to upload pictures of the board where I removed the socket and maybe you can tell me if its all my fault or if repairs had been done previously that I ended up unknowingly undoing...either way I'm going to find another board, thanks for your help.

That solder pool there is where the mask was removed it's hard to tell from the picture since the flash is glinting back. Is that likely something I somehow caused or something that someone had worked on before?

The bottom of the board is a horror show, but again I didn't spend a lot of time with the iron to the board so I don't know how I could have caused the damage...perhaps someone did a repair that I undid by unsoldering the socket? Either way I want to learn from my mistakes what I can. I know its not your problem to help me here, it has nothing to do with you, just wondering if its all my fault so I can try to learn from this disaster.

• The solder stop appears to be scratched off on the top side, so if you didn't do that knowingly, then someone else has worked on the board before, I agree.

The bottom looks "mostly dirty", with only a few pads damaged. I have tried to solder on A500s before, and found that the pads and traces are lifted off the carrier material very easily. It's very well possible that after over 30 years, the glue that holds them together is not holding very well any more. So grab some IPA and an old toothbrush, clean off the dirt and insert the new socket. It's only maybe 10 pads that you need to test with a continuity tester and add a wire link in case it shows "no connection". The schematics of an A500 are simple enough to do this during a "day home", which we all probably have enough of since... almost a year now.

Give this board another chance - I believe it's not too bad, and has every chance to work again.

• Hi Folks,

while i´m very happy that there is a ACE2b, i have to report that i have exactly the same problem with it as Shagittarius.

I tried to clean the Agnus-Socket and reseated Gary and ACE2b multiple times, but with no change at all to the problem so far.

The System shows absolutly no problems, besides those Pixelerrors (which i believe are copy-errors by the Blitter).

Please tell me, if you would like to have a look at my ACE2b, to rule out any problems with the Agnus.

Another Idea was, that the cables for A19/A20 to the Gary-Socket are long enough to cause problems, but i´m not shure enough to try and shorten them.

Anyways here´s a way for easy reproduction of the glitch: If i have the Clock running in Fullscreen on the WBench the result looks like the attached Picture after an hour. The pixels-glitches come one after an other and accumulate to this mess.

It also happens when scrolling in Editors like CygnusED as persistent Pixels that Pop up and vanish only on screen redraw.

Thanks for your efforts, and greets to Oche,

Beetlejuice

System:

A2000 rev 6

Indivision ECSv2

TF534 @50MHz

Buddha Flash

Silversurfer

ACE2b

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.