ACA500+ No activity

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi!

Just got my ACA500+ and installed it. Nothing shows up on the screen. The card blinks when powering up for a moment and thows no error code. I tried setting it to the unbrick mode to test booting from floppy. The card shows the 0_ with blinking underscore. But Ctrl+A+A does nothing (Doesn't boot from floppy)

I also tried cleaning the connection, but this had no effect. Removing the card and booting from floppy was working again.

Note: The screen is not the orginal one. It's a flat screen connected via a VGA adapter.

• All ACA500plus have passed an individual test before they leave here. I therefore believe that it's a minor detail that you haven't mentioned yet - please describe the whole system, including all expansions that are inside the computer, and all cable connections between the computer and other devices.

• Hi,

I've got the same problem with ACA500+. After powering up, diod and segment display blinks and thats all. I can switch to unbrick mode Ctrl+A+A does nothing. It is Amiga 500 6A with 512KB trapdoor RAM. Tried to clean connectors, tried without anything connected, tried in another Amiga 500 and with another power source. Still the same result.

• If that's a new card, bought from us (not a used one), then you can be sure that it has passed our QC: We test each and every unit before it gets it's warranty ID.

So same answer for you: There's possibly something else that you're missing. You mention "another power source" - what power supplies do you have available?

• Yes, it is a new one. I have just opened it and connected. Thats why I went to try it in another A500 because I have only one at my hand. The PSU I have is the original heavy one, the other one was original too and we even tested a new one. Everything has the same results. Both A500 work without ACA500+ normally.

• The 2.5A unit may be a little weak, but should get the A500 with ACA500plus started.

Did you ever connect the unit the wrong way round? Please answer honestly, as this will shorten the remote diagnosis process a lot. We'll find out anyway if you did, so there's every reason to let us know exactly what happened.

• I was very careful regarding these instructions - connecting the right side and only to unpowered machine. I even didnt connect CF cards for the first try. From the first time it only blinked. But I understand your concern.

• I'd still be looking for the "simple" things, such as "not entirely pushed in" or "one of the connector pins pushed back". Also, we've had cases where customers pushed on the connector contacts, which is also a bad idea.

• I would also like to find there was some dumb problem, but I am running out of options. Everything looks OK, every connector cleaned and checked. Still nothing. Even tried to check exact connector alignment when connecting, but nothing. If this hadnt happened on two different machines, it would have been much more simple situation.

• Please describe the exact setup: Are there any other expansions in the computer? Did you try cleaning the 86-pin port of the A500? Is it even an A500, or an A500+?

• this is a A500 rev 6A, connector was perfectly cleaned, if i hold the button on the ACA500+ for few seconds i get a 0 on the screen and then if i reset the computer with alt a a computer boots from floppy, as soon as i restart the computer (on - off) black screen split second light comes on on the aca 500+, thats it

• f i hold the button on the ACA500+ for few seconds i get a 0 on the screen and then if i reset the computer with alt a a computer boots from floppy

That's a very good sign, because in this configuration, the CPU on the ACA500plus is working.

Please remove any CF card for the first test - the menu will also come up if there is no CF card inserted.

• I'm not saying this is what's wrong with yours but in case it helps my ACA500+ did exactly the same thing when I first had it, and it was just dirt, grot and flux residue on my A500's edge connector, which was causing the problem.

I cleaned both sides of the edge connector with some IPA, and did a few connect-disconnect cycles with the power switched off, and then it just started working. It's been fine ever since, even when I've had to dismantle and reassemble it, it has never failed to boot.

• I'm not saying this is what's wrong with yours but in case it helps my ACA500+ did exactly the same thing when I first had it, and it was just dirt, grot and flux residue on my A500's edge connector, which was causing the problem.

I cleaned both sides of the edge connector with some IPA, and did a few connect-disconnect cycles with the power switched off, and then it just started working. It's been fine ever since, even when I've had to dismantle and reassemble it, it has never failed to boot.

thanks!, i did cleaned the edge connector carefully and i also used contact cleaner, but same results, just split second led activity and black screen, replaced all socketed chips on my amiga, but not difference..

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.