ACA500plus odd mouse activity at clock > 7MHz

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I've been slowly upgrading my A500 Amiga's and just received my ACA500plus yesterday.

Installed Workbench 3.1, "acaflashrom"ed my KS 3.1.4 ROM into slot 1, rebooted and installed WB 3.1.4 on top, worked flawlessly

Thought I was in the clear, but...

When I set the CPU clock rate to 14MHz or higher and when the machine is given a task, like playing mod files,
    the following video shows the 'idle' mouse pointer activity I see

https://youtu.be/LXp5_6HT56s

If I switch the clock frequency back down to 7MHz or remove the ACA500plus, the mouse pointer has 'normal idle' activity..it just sits there, not moving on it's own...

I see this with either my A500 tank mouse, or my USB bluetooth mouse; plugged into port 1.

Machine details:

The machine is an A500 rev5, one of the early ones with the factory transistor bodge to compensate for a defective Toshiba Gary.

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=72993.0

I've replaced the early Gary with a later revision Gary

I've replaced the 8371 Agnus with an 8372 Agnus (bought here)

I've re-capped the A500 with Würth Elektronik Aluminum Polymer caps

I've cut JP2, to get the second 512KB of ChipRAM from Ranger

I've installed a 2MB trapdoor Chip\SlowRAM board + RTCC and Gary adapter from (shop link removed)

I've swapped the 68000 for a Motorola 68010

I burned my own KS 3.1.4 EPROM and placed it in an A500 rev5 socket adapter which swizzles some pins and provides some needed pull-ups.

I'm using SwissBit 512MB and 4GB SLC with the C-500 controller chip, Industrial temp rated, controlled BOM, Compact Flash cards in the ACA500plus.

I rebuilt my A500 PSU which was dying, using a Mean Well RT-50B, 5V@4A, 12V@2A, -12V@1A module and adjusted 5V trim based on measurement taken at the A500 input filter.

3D printed an ABS UL94 V-0 cooling baffle to support an 80mm fan within the PSU housing, to further stabilize the PSU.

Hopefully this mouse pointer issue has been seen before and has a known fix,

or at the very least I've provided enough detail to prompt some ideas for next steps.

Handy too...we have a full electronics lab here.. just shy of a spectrum analyzer really.

Oh... and a complete set of A500 known good chips in ESD foam.

So, we can do a little measuring or swap some kit if the mood takes you.. :)

I should warn, I've only just get back into Amiga, so if you need something software'ish done, I'll need some hand holding.

Electrical engineering, and technician work, no problem, still hand-soldering TQFP for fun :)

• 3AM post, figures I missed something

Machine details:(append)

Denise chip replaced with Indivision ECS V2 (bought here)

And this mouse pointer 'idle' action is not limited to a specific piece of software,

per the Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis example.

At 14MHz I have to move the mouse slowly, like I'm moving in to click a tick box,

and then take my hand off the mouse when the pointer starts to jump.

It's 'like' some positions on the screen are more prone to initiate this behaviour.

I've also seen it just slowly drag the pointer to the right side of the screen...

As the CPU clock rate goes up, the behaviour becomes easier to trigger,

and in fact at 21MHz, you really don't have to try, even just running WorkBench.
    The pointer still moves under mouse control, but you just have no fine aim, with it jumping around like that.

• Denise chip replaced with Indivision ECS V2 (bought here)

Please run the latest core update. We did work on mouse pointer problems, and the latest core update (which is not flashed on the currently-shipping units) did fix it for most people.

Other than that, please avoid any other shop links in this forum. I've made that a policy in order to avoid people believing that I'd endorse any of the products - no matter how small, useful or not - only mention names and exact types, but no links please.

I rebuilt my A500 PSU which was dying, using a Mean Well RT-50B, 5V@4A, 12V@2A, -12V@1A module

Not a good idea. This one regulates at it's source only, and it does not know about the voltage drop on the cable and the input filter. Further, it violates the ripple spec of Commodore. Not a single MeanWell chassis is suitable for an Amiga. I know that many people are using them, but just as many people ahve problems. I'm not saying that your mouse problem is caused by that, but you'll run into more trouble if you keep expanding your machine.

Electrical engineering, and technician work, no problem, still hand-soldering TQFP for fun :)

Great! This shows that you will understand all the implications of the original Commodore PSU specification, which is linked to from our PSU FAQ. Precise regulation under "any and all curcumstances" is plain impossible with a long cable between PSU and power sink if the range of currents is rather high. With your knowledge, you can of course re-tweak your PSU every time you're making a change to the system, but you'll have to re-do that every time you're adding/removing the ACA500plus. Key word "cable drop compensation" should tell you all you need to know :-)

• I'll see about updating the Indivision ECS V2 core...thank you.

12 years automotive design engineering, managing high amperage over 10 meter long cables..

Now in semiconductor industry.

I've replaced my board side bulk capacitors with enough mF and low enough ESR that I'm not concerned with the Mean Well's ripple.

If it was an issue...getting from 80mVp-p to 50mVp-p, I'd just throw a few inductors in the PSU case and low-pass away some of the Vp-p.

To be clear,

The original Commodore PSU does not manage cable drop or use remote sensing either.

If I was 'promoting' a PSU replacement solution, and I'm not,

I think I'd be very careful to point out that your focus is on providing something superior to the original,

something to support the higher loads that our machines must deal with in the 'now'.

Otherwise, it sounds like, and I'm sure you don't intend this,

it sounds like engineers who replace their existing failing PSUs with a Mean Well RT-50B or Mean Well RT-65B,

are somehow producing a PSU that is inferior to the original, 30 years old, failing, PSU.

Keeping in mind, there are no new ones to compare too...you have to compare to the ones that are dying...

I have scope traces...and this is a whole lot better than what came in the door with my Amiga :)

We should not let 'perfection' be the enemy of 'better than broken'

Tricky line to walk... Gotta stay on the positive side of that...

As for links, certainly..I can avoid providing links and instead describe make and model of things installed in the future.
    Links are just so much more lazy and engineer like :)

• To be clear,

The original Commodore PSU does not manage cable drop or use remote sensing either.

You are right. However, the original PSUs were never designed to power heavily-upgraded computers that at the same time require more precise voltage regulation due to popular use of LM1117-type linear regulators for modern 3.3V hardware. These require at least 4.85V input to generate a stable 3.3V output. Below that, they tend to oscillate, often resulting in latch-up of CPLDs.

Otherwise, it sounds like, and I'm sure you don't intend this,

it sounds like engineers who replace their existing failing PSUs with a Mean Well RT-50B or Mean Well RT-65B,

are somehow producing a PSU that is inferior to the original, 30 years old, failing, PSU.

With all due respect, I do mean that using a MeanWell PSU on a long cable to power an Amiga is plain wrong. You'd have to point out that you can't use the whole range of power that the PSU is capable of delivering. However, most of the second-source PSU manufacturers just advertise the 5V/4A and never mention the danger of frying modern hardware. I would therefore not judge the MeanWell-solution "better than broken", as I have significantly higher failures with MeanWell-based PSUs. I'd instead call it "good proof of concept for an un-expanded Amiga", which needs adjustment every time you add or remove an expansion.

Tricky line to walk... Gotta stay on the positive side of that...

My "positive way" is to provide a properly-engineered solution that "just works", without the user needing to think about "how much load am I adding to the system?". Granted, I use the lab PSU to power a development computer from time to time (for it's current limit capability), but I'm human and I make mistakes - sometimes I see funny behaviour that takes me several minutes to realize that I didn't adjust the lab PSU to compensate for a higher load (no, don't have a fancy one with sense line). Once I've established that a new prototype doesn't short out the supply line, I switch back to the A600-switchmode PSU that I always use to develop my stuff.

Mouse issue seems to be fully resolved by applying Indivision ECS V2 firmware patch

That's great to hear, thanks.

• Okay, so just in case I forget to trim my supply manually...

Since I use a PCB adapter board already to retrofit my A500 PSU's with Mean Well RT-50B's, which has heavy traces to carry the low-voltage away from the high-voltage side, I can use the existing Vss trace as a 'free' current shunt, and feed that signal into an $0.80 Atmel 328P, using the built-in A2D input OpAMP and 1.1V reference along with the bandgap temperature diode to make pretty reasonable estimation of cable current, and thus voltage drop.
    Then add 6 resistors to make a 5 bit D2A, which trims the Mean Well RT-50B to compensate for cable drop automatically.
    Then add a $0.40 NUD3124 MOSFET to switch my FAN for constant temp operation...I wanted a temp sensing fan anyway, so this is great.

20mV - 30mV step compensation is perfectly fine for me.

If I really wanted to isolate the 5V current, then I could use an INA138 on the 5V shunt line, but that adds a second $1.00, and is likely just overkill.
    Coming from an automotive background I need tombstones to spend a dollar :)

• I can use the existing Vss trace as a 'free' current shunt,

Nope - that yould only tell you the combined current of 12V, 5V and -12V. What you want is the 5V current only. I wouldn't use an MCU for that task, as that may crash or start to act up from the different voltage that it gets depending on the load (note that the CA-PSU goes well above 5.5V at higher currents, which AFAIK is beyond the Atmel spec). Why not go for a simple op-amp circuit? Granted, analogue is kinda-out-of-fashion, but it's perfect for this application. No code delays, very simple filtering...

20mV - 30mV step compensation is perfectly fine for me.

Sure, that would be within Commodore's spec. However, since my voltage reference drifts with temperature, I've set myself a bit tighter limits to have enough temperature margin.

Coming from an automotive background I need tombstones to spend a dollar

I know the feeling - I do consulting and paid design review for optimizations on the fraction-of-a-cent level. You can imagine the smile on a contractor's face when I originally had the task to re-design a heat sink, then came up with an optimized power circuit that had way higher efficiency and didn't need a heat sink at all :-)

That said, the CA-PSU works with a high-precision shunt resistor and a crusty LM158, supplied with the +/-12V, so I can even generate a negative correction voltage. The 8-pin package has a second op-amp which let me compensate for 12V load as well (higher 12V load will raise the GND level, so usable 5V drops with higher 12V load). The effect is minimal, but for the price of a few more resistors, I figured it's worth adding.

• As I mentioned, I could use an INA138 to isolate the 5V current, but since half the voltage loss on the cable is on the Vss side, I don't think it's going to be that impressive a difference in the end result,,,

Microcontrollers, control the relative position of your valves and pistons preventing collision at 5000 cycles per second for 5000 power-on-hours.

They are sufficiently trustable in this much lower risk application.

The MCU permits a one time auto calibrate cycle in the field, eliminating any trim elements.

As for over voltage, the Atmel would be fine to a full 6V, but a diode or two can provide the voltage drop to stay well under 5.5V

The mean well is ~$30 CDN over here and comes fully CSA\UL\FCC

The proposed compensation circuit is $1 CDN

The PCB adapter board is about $4

Our little group found an adapter PCB layout from a UK fellow and made a batch.
    They needed a bit of re-shaping to fit our Amiga PSU enclosures.

I've already started modifying the adapter PCB layout to accommodate 'more' of the original Amiga PSU enclosures as we've found there were quite a few mold variations over the production life.

I'll just add the needed footprints for the compensation circuit, for those who want to spend the extra buck.

• Microcontrollers, control the relative position of your valves and pistons preventing collision at 5000 cycles per second for 5000 power-on-hours.

They are sufficiently trustable in this much lower risk application.

..yet they require programming, which is a hurdle for some DIY-people. An op-amp circuit wouldn't require that, so I'd expect more people to go for it, resulting in (hopefully) fewer support cases here.

• I think our group will give the MCU programmed for free to everyone in Canada that needs one.
    We tend to give away boards to people on fixed income and the like, so an MCU, is no big.

But if it was a product I had to offer support on...yeah...I'd have to think about analog vs digital.

I do like that with the MCU we just hook a jumper wire between the A500 and the PSU, initiate auto calibration and it's finished...the MCU has correct compensation scale and you can loose the jumper wire.

• I do like that with the MCU we just hook a jumper wire between the A500 and the PSU, initiate auto calibration and it's finished...the MCU has correct compensation scale and you can loose the jumper wire.

Make that a wire from the joystick port to your board, and the user won't even have to open the computer.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.