Amiga 500+ random lock ups with X-Surf 500 installed.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Help.

I recapped my Amiga about a month ago and also replaced my PS (Original Light) with a RT-50B PS, see attached.

My Amiga 500 extras include ACA 500+ and the X-Surf 500.

Everything worked great until I installed the X-Surf. Could this be a PS issue? Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

-Scott

• Could this be a PS issue?

Absolutely. The MeanWell unit is known-bad - not "per se", but just not suitable for an Amiga. Read all about Amiga (and other) PSUs in our FAQ.

The short version is: Get a CA-PSU, and your problems will be gone. You're in a 230V country, so we can actually deliver :-)

• Ok. Will this PS also support the additions of the ACA1221lc and Indivision ECS V2 cards?

Yes - it's rated 5A for continued operation, and even 8A for up to 30 seconds without the voltage deviating from the specification. All this while ripple is well within specification from Commodore - which is not the case for your MeanWell chassis.

• AVOID.

That PSU is just the same kind of tinkering that all the MeanWell contraptions are: They are regulated at the source, not taking losses on the cable and the input filter into account. Rated 9.5A? Did anyone read the Commodore specifications? You need to be within 1% of 5V at full load, which - with the technology offered - means that at light load, the voltage will be well over 5.7V, destroying valuable hardware that isn't made any more.

Also, no word on ripple, efficiency and step response. That thing is just asking for trouble. Trouble that isn't covered by any insurance.

Again: It's not about power, but about control. Measure inside the Amiga, not at any other spot. Use a good multimeter - 20.000-count preferred, calibration not older than a year. Use an oscilloscope to measure ripple (20MHz bandwidth limitation allowed). Your current setup uses a PSU that has a voltage adjustment - crank that up a little, so the voltage inside the computer is closer to 5V. Not sure if this will completely get rid of crashes (as ripple is outside specs), but it wil certainly be MUCH better than that "powerful" thing.

• ... Well's, What is the status of your 110 PSU?

I did buy this PSU to use temporarily. Your thoughts?

(Amazon link removed)

Though after reading your response, I guess this one would be better.

(Amazon link removed)

-Scott

• Ok, so re-cap my old supply. Lets do this!

Questions:

- Which side should have a shortened cable, AC or Amiga?

- Voltage adjustment, 5V only or are there adjustments for all voltages?

- Once complete, this will be able to power the hardware I've ordered from you?

- When will I be able to order a PSU from you?

-Scott

• - Which side should have a shortened cable, AC or Amiga?

The Amiga side. That's where the DC losses happen, and the PSU does not know about them.

- Voltage adjustment, 5V only or are there adjustments for all voltages?

5V only - the Amiga is mainly a 5V machine. Measure under full load inside the Amiga, not "at the PSU". Your adjustment should take all losses into account.

- Once complete, this will be able to power the hardware I've ordered from you?

If it's the 4.3A or 4.5A A500 PSU, then yes, absolutely. The 3.0A-rated units may be on the edge, but have surprisingly good over-load behaviour.

- When will I be able to order a PSU from you?

I hope I'll get some positive news from the PSU manufacturer next week - note that this is "news only". They still need to make a production schedule after Chinese new year.

• Would you recommend this added to the Original PSU?

No. The amp display will introduce a voltage drop. The higher the load, the more you'll be on the edge in terms of regulation margin, so adding a gadget like this will only reduce reliability.

Link removed.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.