Chameleon Menu-System public test builds

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hy everyone :) I have occasionally posted test builds in various threads before, to make them more visible i will do this in this thread now. If you have some time to spare, please try them and let me know when something goes wrong.

Generally for all the posted binaries:

- use the latest core update from the wiki

- replace rom-menu.bin in the update by the posted binary

- update the chameleon as usual

• This menu contains changes made to the clockport handling, things that need testing are:

- in "system info" it should show "rr-net" (and its MAC) or "silversurfer" or "not found"

- does the respective clockport device actually work as expected in various configurations?

• This menu has some cosmetic fixes over the last one (better output in system info), and will leave the clockport alone on "unfreeze", which may or may not fix some problems with entering/leaving the menu via freezing.

• So, this one is a quick fix for the problem reported here, plus some other minor things :)

- some extra delays in the SD-Card init, try init a few times. May or may not make some cards work that did not before

- correctly save and restore IEC sensitive bit when entering/leaving menu
    - The last file in a swaplist (.lst) was not recognized when there was no carriage return / line terminator after it
    - when CFGTUR was set to the unusual "Turbo enabled/100% speed" config by a user program, the freezer will disable the turbo and not alter the speed setting from the configuration

• Thanks for the update. I will try it when I get some time. I have several SD cards that caused issues. Been using two different types of 16GB Sandisk Ultra cards on each of my TC64V2s that has been working well for years. But if I can get more of my SD cards to work that's a nice bonus.

• So I just tried the new menu build. Tried 3 of my troublesome SD cards. No change for me. Still same issues.

I would guess the reason TC64 is picky about SD cards, even if many of those same cards works fine with other cores is because the file menu in the TC64 core is much more advanced vs the other cores? Like when you browse files with many of the Mist ports you just view a few filenames at a time with no advanced filebrowsing functions VS TC64 menu system. Navigating and doing things with the TC64 menu/filebrowser is very intuitive and in a different ballpark vs other cores.

• I have no idea really - other cores might use the card in completely different ways. I don't have any card that would work in another core but not in the chameleon core either, so its kinda hard to test :)

• Here is another test... this one adds a .crt file saver for Easyflash, so you don't have to jump through so many hops like before

- when an EF image is mounted (in Slot 3 or 4), the F3 "Usermenu" contains a "crt saver" item

- unlike the other savers, this save will allow to overwrite an existing file

please test!

• very nice update! Just loaded up pirates! Crt image (easyflash). Did a savegame, hit the menu button and filebrowser, did F4 and saved as a new crt file. Loaded that crt file and the savegame was there. Then did another savegame, exit to menu and overwrite the file. Works perfect Very nice work! Thanks!

Edit: one problem. The savegames were there. But when I load them and try to leave port royal, instead of leaving with a ship i have my men on land, up in the corner of the map, whith no city in sight. This happened to both savegames. Very strange

Edit 2: tried again with the french. Played a bit longer before I saved inside the game and traveled to another port before I did the save crt procedure. This time it worked correctly. So looks like it works. This is a brilliant update!

Edit 3: just tested with maniac mansion easyflash. Worked perfect!

• I did test with soul force easyflash aswell. Works great.

Now, if we could get this implemented like with D64s, where the menusystem ask if you want to update the file after you made changes as you enter the menu system, that would be perfect

• I am on it... its not a trivial change unfortunately, and i need to understand some code first that i didn't touch for many years - so it will take a while :)

Thanks for the effort. As it is now we already have a huge upgrade with the crt saver. Even if we have to do it manually. Huge upgrade from the previous romsaver only

• So, here is another build - notable changes are:

- the .crt saver (via F4 menu) does NOT overwrite files anymore (so it behaves like all the other savers)

instead:

- when an Easyflash .crt or .rom is mounted, and was changed, the menu (optionally) asks if it should be updated. It should basically work the same as with disk images (actually it uses the exact same logic)

- There is a new option for this in the cartridge options (same as for disk images)

Please test and let me know if everything works as intended. In particular both slots (3 and 4), with the different update options (never, ask, auto). Of course also any other misbehaviour is interesting (since there were changes in both the .rom and .crt loader and saver, anything related to this is of interest)

Since there was a config option added, you'll have to flash this menu with the core, "side loading" from sd card will make it forget all settings every time.