ACE2B CDTV RAM CHANGE

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I now have the Ace2B in my CDTV, it works well and shows the 2MB Chip RAM

I also have 8MB Fast RAM via a CPU adapter

The problem is that when i boot into workbench it is showing as 2MB CHIP and 6MB Fast - I seem to have lost 2MB Fast

When I check in the configuration in preferences it does show up as 2MB ECS Agnus and 8MB Fast expansion

Before i had the Ace2B I was showing 1MB Chip and 8MB fast so it appears like I have lost a meg,

Do i need to change a jumper on the motherboard or add something into my startup-sequence?

Kind regards

Scott

• The problem is that when i boot into workbench it is showing as 2MB CHIP and 6MB Fast - I seem to have lost 2MB Fast

There is no way that the Chip ram expansion could have caused this. 6M is not a standard autocionfig size (that would be either 4M or 8M), so what I assume is that 2M fastmem have been used by whatever was launched with your WB.

For more details, you can use the "avail" command in a shell - this shows the maximum and the currently-available chunks of fastmem (and chipram as well) - more detailed than the rough estimate that you see at the top of the WB screen.

• Thanks I will check that - it could be something in my startup but i have not changed anything from before i put in the chip (I suppose it could just be a bug in the old 3.1 Kick/Workbench)

• Hi,

It is showing as:

Available: 2MB Chip, 6MB Fast, 8MB Total

Maximum: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, 10MB Total

In use is showing about 72K Chip, 2MB Fast

Something is eating the 2MB fast - i have looked in my RAM drive but it's only using about 13K

Is there a way of showing what processes are using the 2MB Fast?

• Is there a way of showing what processes are using the 2MB Fast?

Amiga OS does not have resource tracking, so you can only see available and allocated resources, but you cannot see "who or what" has allocated them. You can search in three places for software that starts upon booting:

- startup-sequence

- user-startup (which is launched from startup-sequence)

- wbstartup (this is a directory, and all files with a .info file will be started when the WB is launched)

Another thing you can do is to run the "status" command on a shell - this will show you at least the names of running processes.

• depending on your extended rom in the cdtv there is a kickstart module called kludges that reduces the amount of fast ram available in certain circumstances. Something in your system may have triggered that module.

• The English Amiga Board were very helpful - it is indeed the extended rom version - you must use V2.7 and not V2.30 (V2.30 was designed for the A570 so maps 2MB to an expected 40PIN expansion) :)

• I didn't try Cloanto as usually Amiga forums are very helpful for these things and i think some of the people on the forum work for Cloanto.

I am very happy with the ACE2B - can I swap the NTSC for a PAL or is there anything different? I can go into early startup and switch to PAL though which isn't too much trouble (You can go to early startup on a CDTV provided you have a floppy in the drive)

• can I swap the NTSC for a PAL or is there anything different?

Just make sure to either use the same Vbb/non-Vbb Agnus, or add/remove capacitor C9 when needed. Also, make sure that the 8375 Agnus you want to use is really a 2M type - there are versions with that part number that have the 8372a pinout and only 1M addressing capability. These won't work.

• Just make sure to either use the same Vbb/non-Vbb Agnus, or add/remove capacitor C9 when needed. Also, make sure that the 8375 Agnus you want to use is really a 2M type - there are versions with that part number that have the 8372a pinout and only 1M addressing capability. These won't work.

Thank you - this very useful

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.