Question on IDE-FIX adapter from icomp

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

First sorry for this question in Buddha section but IDE-FIX is too IDE and icomp product.

Port 0 2,5" on IDE-FIX is "visible" (active) first after start C:idefix ? This is normal?

My idea this port 0 2,5" is visible too without activate command idefix (quick after power on A1200 as on board 2,5" port) and then is here possible 2,5" HDD with system

Please exist any short manual for IDE-FIX adapter? On wiki no.

Thanks Pavel

• Port 0 2,5" on IDE-FIX is "visible" (active) first after start C:idefix ? This is normal?

It's always active, no extra software requried.

Please exist any short manual for IDE-FIX adapter? On wiki no.

I've made several adapters over the years, and I don't have all the manuals still available. Please post a picture of the exact model, and I'll look for a file. I have a backup of the old DOS/Win3.1 machine with Word6 that I've used back then to write manuals.

• It's always active, no extra software requried.

I've made several adapters over the years, and I don't have all the manuals still available. Please post a picture of the exact model, and I'll look for a file. I have a backup of the old DOS/Win3.1 machine with Word6 that I've used back then to write manuals.

Thanks for quick reply. Always active without extra software is logical and too my idea BUT my friend has IDE-FIX rev.2 with express adapter (latest icomp version 2002?) where works (is active) 2,5" port 0 with 2,5" HDD only after run command C:idefix

Without software is this 2,5" port 0 not active.

• Thanks for quick reply. Always active without extra software is logical and too my idea BUT my friend has IDE-FIX rev.2 with express adapter (latest icomp version 2002?) where works (is active) 2,5" port 0 with 2,5" HDD only after run command C:idefix

"Rev.2" is nothing that rings a bell here. And if this is "for a friend" and not for you, please have your friend post a picture. The behaviour you're describing does not fit the product you're referring to, and I'm not in the mood for chasing ghosts today.

• That's the 2006 version if I remember right - the last production run, a bit before conversion to a GmbH.

The 2,5" port is always active, no software requried. This is "by design", and there is no possibility that software can ebanle/disable it.

Only if the drive connected is not compatible with the original scsi.device, you will get the observed behaviour. I'd then recommend to change the IDE device itself.

• Thanks for support. Problem solved. Another 2,5" HDD works BUT problem is not compatible with scsi.device (previous HDD works fine on A1200)

A1200 with IDE-FIX has very quick "IDE check" and come fast boot from floppy - 2,5" HDD is not recognized (long spin on) at boot on 2,5" Port O and is visible in WB (after booting from WB 3.1 floppy) first after use any sw/tool for communication with HDD e.g. C:IDEfix OR HDToolBox or others.

2,5" Port 0 has speed 3MB/s with 030/50 CPU and after activate C:IDEfix 3,6MB/s This is fine?

Please second question:

From Wiki: "A special gadget is the diagnosis-software that checks for the correct connection between the IDE-fix adapter and the express-adapter"

After start CheckIDEfix no any output or exist others diag tool?

• Thanks for support. Problem solved. Another 2,5" HDD works BUT problem is not compatible with scsi.device (previous HDD works fine on A1200)

A1200 with IDE-FIX has very quick "IDE check" and come fast boot from floppy - 2,5" HDD is not recognized (long spin on) at boot on 2,5" Port O and is visible in WB (after booting from WB 3.1 floppy) first after use any sw/tool for communication with HDD e.g. C:IDEfix OR HDToolBox or others.

Sounds like you have Kickstart 3.0 in the machine. Try Kickstart 3.1 - this will wait longer for IDE drives to spin up.

2,5" Port 0 has speed 3MB/s with 030/50 CPU and after activate C:IDEfix 3,6MB/s This is fine?

This is with "express" being activated? If so, it's probably the best you can get with an accelerator that is not optimized for mainboard access speed. The ACA1233n will likely provide more performance, and the models with IDE speeder will top that.

After start CheckIDEfix no any output or exist others diag tool?

Expected - if everything is OK, it's silent. If the cable is missing or put on the wrong way round, the tool will nag.

• Kickstart 3.1 - without IDE-FIX is normal time for spin up but with installed IDE-FIX is very ultra quick and this is issue why previous 2,5" HDD not recognized on Port 0

Btw. Please how activate express modul? Not only with C:IDEfix? (3MB/s vs 3,6MB/s)

Thanks

• express adapter rev.2 has second 10 pin header on right side - function?

This was planned to be for a clock port expander that never saw the light of day (for good reason). Just ignore and only use one clock port device. If you have such an expander, avoid using it. I know there are DIY-things out there, but they can't work properly. I never released mine for technical reasons.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.