UK shipping

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Sorry, but this year has been full of administrative work until now. The UK<->EU deal includes that small businesses mut be VAT registered in the UK and pay VAT for goods that are shipped there, but unfortunately, their registration process is far more complicated as the registration process for Norway. Or their websites are plain broken - it's "one is pointing to the other, both not feeling responsible for taking my registration".

You might want to check if there's a service in Europe that you can have goods shipped to, and who will take care of shipping to the UK then. I'm using a similar service in the US, and they only charge a small fee per parcel.

• Thanks for the suggestion, I looked into it and there are options (but not cheap). I'll wait till I need 2 items to ship, or hopefully a resolution with the registration process.

• Good point - both DHL and Parcel One appear to be taking parcels for Ireland again. I have changed the entries in the shop system accordingly.

Great! Would it also be a good idea to update the news on the main shop page to let customers know?

• Hi, is there any updates on possible shipping to the UK?

I have received several purchases from Europe since Jan 1st (granted not via DHL), but those that would have had VAT added at source have not included it on the purchase, and i've simply had to pay it once the item reaches UK customs. Could a similar method not be used here?

Sorry, my view is only from being a customer, and without the behind the scenes knowledge of running a small business!

Here's to hoping for a return to UK deliveries! :)

D13TZ13

• Hi, is there any updates on possible shipping to the UK?

Sorry, but I didn't attempt a UK VAT registration again. It's just not worth my time. Once the UK-EU chamber of commerce switches off their answering machine and accepts a call, I may get back to that, but for now, I should be doing development work and make sure to keep the lights on with sales to the rest of the world.

and i've simply had to pay it once the item reaches UK customs. Could a similar method not be used here?

The EU-UK deal is pretty clear here: iComp is way above the threshold where a UK VAT registration is mandatory. Rather than opening a door for legal proceedings against me as a person, I prefer to wait until I have the chance to comply with contracts that our glorious leaders have signed.

• Thanks - that's one of the pages that points "to the other" for registration, which points back to this one. Haven't looked at the forums yet, as I currently refuse to spend any more time on this matter. There's development and production to do, and I can't have that stopped for a considerable amount of time for a country that makes up only 8.3% of our revenue - even declining over the past years.

Norway is showing that it can be solved really simple. My hope is that things are updated in the UK soon, then I'll look into it again. Your law makers MUST see that there's something VERY wrong. After all, I'm willing to pay taxes, showing an active will, yet they don't let me. What's the point?

iComp is on the edge of profitability, and this can easily flip around if I let my everyday work slip for idiotic red tape procedures.

• both DHL and Parcel One appear to be taking parcels for Ireland again.

I have to correct this one: Parcel One still does not take shipments to Ireland, returned two parcels to us last week. We've shipped these two at our expense with DHL earlier this week.

• I have to correct this one: Parcel One still does not take shipments to Ireland, returned two parcels to us last week. We've shipped these two at our expense with DHL earlier this week.

I'm expecting to receive an order which was shipped on Feb 2 using Parcel One, the tracking info says it was delivered to Simmerath on the 6th and I assume it will be then forwarded to me after, hopefully it will still be delivered and not returned to you?

• Hi Jens,

Thanks for continuing to try and solve the UK import issues, I do hope you can find a way through the red tape eventually. The products and customer support iComp provide are some of the best I have found in the entire Commodore community, and I appreciate your continued support for our existing purchases in the UK, despite things being difficult at present. I am sure a lot of other UK customers also feel the same.

I still have at a lot of items I would like to buy from iComp's available current product list, I think over 1,000 euros in value, last time I looked. That's not including the new announced ones like the ACA-1240/1260 you folks are currently working on. I was working my way through the list as quickly as my hobby money would allow, so fingers crossed!

Do you know if it might be possible to purchase digital items like P96 any time soon, in order to extend our ability to download them?

Also, and please forgive me if this is a bad idea, if I understood the UK import rules (I might not have, they are intentionally a little vague I think), it seemed like companies only have to collect VAT for puchases up to £135. If this is the case, might it be possible to ship higher value orders, and let us pay the VAT and a logistics company handle some of the paperwork, at least in the short term?

Lastly, and I am genuinely sorry if I offend anyone who voted for Brexit by saying this out loud, I hope folks all across the EU will continue to keep in mind that pretty much half of the UK did not vote for Brexit. I cannot properly convey how sad all of Brexit continues to make me personally. I did not vote for it, and I am particularly unhappy with how it has been implemented, especially the part where our government chose not to be part of the EU single market. I do agree to put up with the consequences of the decision because there was a democratic vote (two if you count the election)... I just don't personally think it was a good one.

I do not hold much hope of the UK government fixing things any time soon. They seem to be pretending the changes to VAT reporting and other paperwork are not really an issue, they do not appear to be sorting it out, and we're stuck with this government until at least the next general election which is 4 years away. At the moment with Covid still ravaging us, the news focus is not on UK<->EU as much as it would be otherwise, and a lot of other national level issues also aren't being addressed for the same reason, as I am sure is the case all around the world. UK businesses that deal with Europe are struggling badly, and the advice from our government has so far been "Move to the EU, if that's where you want to be." which is the answer I'd expect from a petulant child, not the government of a country in the G7.

Anyhow, I'll stop ranting because it isn't useful I suppose - again to anyone I have offended with my opinions on Brexit, I am sorry and I am genuinly happy to be proven wrong over time.

Cheers and have a good day. :)

• You know what they say about elections and polls: If Henry Ford would have asked his potential customers what they want, then the majority would have answered "a faster horse". So having the people decide on a single day where the country will be headed for decades to come is a questionable path in itself. But hey, this will be resolved one way or another. I'll just spend more time on the development desk for now, as I've had a horrible January full of paperwork.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.