Keyrah V2, how do I fit an internal USB header?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Can anybody tell me what I need to fit an internal USB header to the Keyrah V2? I am very confused as USB headers are usually 5 pins and the Keyrah only has 4 holes to fit a header so I am very confused. Also what lead do I need as they are all 5 pin.

I am very disappointed that the Keyrah did not have a internal header but it does have the holes which feels like a short sight and a penny pinching exercise which is a real shame since the product feels like it has had a lot of love in it creation. Also why is there no support for this product? feels like the creators do not like speaking with their customers which is again more confusing that why there is no internal header fitted when there are clearly the holes.

• this bit :-) there is nothing about fitting the internal pin header in the documentation and I did not know who the creator was of the product. I had been to my seller and they were unhelpful so after investigation things started to point back to icomp.de :-).

Thanks for the help as its been driving me crazy not knowing confidently what I needed as since I was playing with a USB header there is room for breaking the board so thought I had better check it out with someone first.

Your help is appreciated.

• I am very disappointed that the Keyrah did not have a internal header but it does have the holes which feels like a short sight and a penny pinching exercise which is a real shame since the product feels like it has had a lot of love in it creation.

I'm glad you see the "lot of love in creation", but I have to tell you that the empty place for the 4-pin header (which is standard 4-pin for non-OTG USB) is a plain safety measure: It's the same signals as on the USB-B connector that points to the side. If you have connected a cable there, then a voltage would be on an open pin header. If touched with an open metal part, it may cause a short.

This has led to an oversight that was not found until the product has been in the field for months: The D+ and D- signals were swapped on earlier Keyrah V2 models, redulting in standard cables not working. Sometimes people have tried the cable "the other way round", resulting in wrong polarity voltage entering Keyrah, which destroys the main MCU for good.

The later (blue) boards of Keyrah have this corrected - these are internally called "Keyrah 2b". I'd have to look up if white Keyrah V2 units were produced with the Keyrah 2b Gerber data, but with such a low-margin product, I'm not putting in all the effort of documenting things. I figured if someone is willing to solder on the unit, he/she will be capable of doing a simple continuity test as well.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.