Aca1221ec not booting

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • aca1221ec not booting. This is NOT any bad contact problem on the card or motherboard. It always gives black screen if i start power from cold...but if i put power on and then off and on back very quikly it boots and works.

So power on 2 times and it works..if only ones it does not. Just bought the card and have tried safe mode and every mhz that could be used..no difference. Kickstart is 3.1.4

Also removed gotek and hd and it does not make any difference...to boot it needs 2 x power on button. Using the 4.5amp psu

Had earlier 8mb fast ram 2 different and never had any issues.

• If a card does not start on the first "cold" start, it's likely that the power-up ramp of the power supply is not OK. Note that the CA-PSU is the only one on the market that puts emphasis on a controlled up- and down-ramp instead of "swinging voltage" that many other PSUs provide during the transition periods. BTW, not only the A1200 board, but also the original PSU may need new capacitors.

Further, the reset circuit of the A1200 may not be OK any more - you can verify this by switching on "cold" (so it does not reliably start), but then issue a keyboard reset. If the card then comes up, you know that the reset-pulse is too short and the capacitor in the reset circuit needs to be exchanged.

For further examination, please mention the warranty ID of the ACA1221ec - I'd like to see if there is an entry in our database.

• Heh... I have only got back the unit from recapping and boughtbthe best panasonic caps to it. I have 3 psu so i can try another one but this what i have used has worked on all other units and all other fastram cards.

Will try another psu now...

• Tried 2 other psu from a500. Both 4.5amps

How can it be that only aca card not working and other does and still problem in my unit?

• And yes... Warm soft boot works

Check the reset circuit in your A1200. If that doesn't help, replace your PSU. I highly recommend to NOT switch off and on in quick succession, as that may cause a latch-up in modern CMOS hardware (root cause is possible oscillation of the 3.3V regulator on the ACA1221ec). We of course recommend the CA-PSU, as that will make sure that startup- and power-down ramps are controlled, and that you can't power off/on in quick succession to protect valuable hardware.

That said, you "just bought" the card must be a second-hand purchase. Warranty ID TTyXg passed QC in April 2018 and was delivered to a customer in Germany the following month. The card was never in for repair. Lucky you: You have CPU mask E13G, so you'll most likely have stable 42.5MHz operation with the CA-PSU.

• How can it be that only aca card not working and other does and still problem in my unit?

The ACA1221ec starts very quickly - and Kickstart will start working on the local RAM very soon. If power didn't "swing in" by that time, there will be RAM errors and the CPU crashes before it can say "hi" to any external hardware.

Just because you tried a number of PSUs does not mean that they are not the root cause. On the contrary: All 4.5A PSUs are more than 30 years old now and require fresh capacitors. Further, none of them has cable drop compensation or controlled power-up ramps. They just "swing in", and combined with a too-fast-reset circuit in your mainboard, it will lead to the observed behaviour.

• Ok.. So nothing i can do further. Have tested 3 psu.,unistalled hd and gotek. Tried another kickstart roms.

Moved deeper and 2mm off the card. Cleaned with alcohol.

Never boots on first power up, but quick second power on and it works.

Very annoying.

Will start to search for another card that will work.

Thank you anyway.

• Jens

Closed the thread.