Keyrah V2 on A600 German Keyboard

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I have a Keyrah V2 and I intend to use it with my Amiga 600(case+keyboard) that has a Raspberry Pi in it. The A600 keyboard is a German layout so my question is, Will the Keyrah V2 auto detect and recognize that it's a German layout and work with it? Or should I select it manually? And if so, How? Thank you in advance.

• Keyrah does not look at the print on the keys - it can't. What it does is that it detects a key press and translates that into a scan code. These scan codes are then translated into characters in the OS, so the place where to switch between country-specific keyboards is not the keyboard adapter, but your OS.

• Thanks for your reply, So by default it will type as an English keyboard even though the actual keys are in German layout, And if I want to make it type as a German keyboard then I will have to remapp each key in the raspberry pi. Am I correct?

• And if I want to make it type as a German keyboard then I will have to remapp each key in the raspberry pi. Am I correct?

This sentence sounds like a tedious task if you're re-assigning every single key with a single action per key. However, changing key maps under Linux is usually associated with "one file that contains all key assignments", so changing that file will do the trick. Please note that this is not a Linux support forum, so we'll have to cut this short: Check which keyboard package your Linux distribution is using (kbd, xkb, maybe even the old/depricated xmodmap) and go with the respective man pages.

Note that Linux can assign different key maps to different applications (when under X) or you can make a global console setup. Again, this is not a Linux support forum, so I'm just throwing search terms at you.

• BTW... tweaking this on the Linux end can get *really* tedious, you should decide from the beginning what your aim is... the Problem is that the raw keycodes will be converted more than once on their way to the application - in the worst case 3 times: by the Kernel itself, then X or the terminal, then SDL. So don't expect this to work everywhere, ie when you got it working in an SDL application somehow, it might still be wrong on the console. If you want to make as much as possible work, you'll have to work bottom up, first tweak the kernal tables, then make console work, then X, and the SDL application last.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.