My new ACA 500 Plus just arrived and I get error message while booting classic workbench.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So I just came home from the post office with my new ACA 500 Plus.

I was currently using the ACA 500 (Original ACA 500) and fully unlocked ACA 1221. My boot CF card has Classic Workbench installed. So I unplugged ACA 500 + ACA 1221 and installed the new ACA 500 Plus in my A500 Plus (without the ACA 1221). I put the same CF card with Classic workbench into the ACA 500 Plus.

I get to the ACA 500 Plus boot meny and hit F1. Workbench starts to boot but after a few moments I get this error message: C:StackAttack Program failed (error #80000004 Wait for disk activity to finish. So it seems to get stuck here. This works just fine with the ACA 500 + ACA 1221 combo. I also made sure to not use the ACA 1221 stuff in the boot sequence. I also tried another CF card with Classic Workbench and got the same error message.

What could be causing this?

• I put the CF card back in the ACA 500 and ACA 1221 combo and disabled stack attack. Then I manged to boot to classic workbench with the ACA 500 Plus but now workbench looks like this (picture below). Has this something to do with ACA 500 Plus using the 68000 CPU whilst my ACA 500 and ACA 1221 combo uses the 020 CPU? Maybe I need to disable more of the components in classic workbench

Edit: An old copy of regular workbench 3.1 was working fine with the ACA 500 Plus. Now that I think about it the original ACA 500 didn't boot correctly with the classic workbench full unless I was using the ACA 1221. So this is probably a CPU library thing or something. Will investigate.

Edit2: Yes it is a CPU thing. Most of the classic workbench versions are for 020 CPU only. There is a version for 68K. Will try that one. I don't plan on using any accelerators plugged in to this ACA 500 Plus. I tried super cars on it and no slowdown problems like the 020 accelerators gets when used on A500/A600s. So this is perfect for whdload gaming

• Installed Classic Workbench 68K and have been playing around with the ACA 500 Plus on my A500 ++ Replica based Amiga 500 Plus. I have to say I am very, very happy with this purchase. The ACA 500 Plus is really impressive.

At first the quit key would not work for all whdload games when just using F1 for the Kickstart 3.1 profile. then I made a custom profile and found out that If I enabled both ACA resources and Amiga 500 VBR move then the quit key would work in all games :)

Another thing I love is the fact that since the ACA 500 is based on the 68000 CPU I get no slowdowns in whdload games like with 020 accelerators used on A500s/A600s. Best of all, when the ACA 500 Plus is overclocked to 42MHz it's just as fast/if not faster than most 020 accelerators I've tried. For my use anyway :) The HD (CF card speed) speed is also insane when overclocked to 42MHz :)

And the cloak mode or whatever it's called gave me 512KB slow ram so I could get all floppy games to work without removing the ACA 500 Plus :)

I am not nearly finished playing around with this unit. Still alot of stuff to try :) I have alot of stuff from Indivision but I think this is one of the most impressive units I've tried. The ACA 500 Plus and the Turbo Chameleon 64/64 V2 is probably my two favourites from Indivision :)

• Just for giggles, try HD speed with an A1200 accelerator: The ACA500plus implements transparent longword-transfers, doubling CF speed for 32-bit CPUs.

So I took the fastest A1200 accelerator I have, the ACA 1233 40MHz (Not the later 'n' version. The older one with the red PCB) and tried it in my ACA 500 Plus.

Sysinfo gave me 5.9MB per second in the HD test :) Without the accelerator plugged in I have 4MB per second with the 68000 CPU at 42MHz :) Very impressive. IDE in A600, A1200 or A4000 doesn't come close to this. They vary between 1.3MB to maybe a little over 2MB per second depending on accelerator used.

I don't remember what speed I got with my original ACA 500 (Non plus) with the ACA 1233 plugged in but I think I have like 4.5MB per second with my fully unlocked ACA 1221 at 28MHz plugged into it.

• IDE in A600, A1200 or A4000 doesn't come close to this. They vary between 1.3MB to maybe a little over 2MB per second depending on accelerator used.

The new accelerators that came out in summer of 2019 all have my new IDE accelerator technology, which gives the internal IDE a considerable speed boost. The ACA1233n-55 in combination with a real harddrive that has sufficient caches, will get over 10MB/s measured with Sysinfo, and not much below that measuring with other (more accurate) tools.

CF speed very much depends on the card itself. Fastest I've sound are the Lexar high-end models, and the latest Sandisk generation is not much slower. Unfortunately, CF cards don't work with caches at all, so they always take about as much time to search for a block as they take for the block to transfer it. I was amazed to see how much time is wasted when using CF cards compared to using real SSDs, which are only available with SATA interface. All the PATA SSDs I've tried are just CF cards in a different form factor.

• The new accelerators that came out in summer of 2019 all have my new IDE accelerator technology, which gives the internal IDE a considerable speed boost. The ACA1233n-55 in combination with a real harddrive that has sufficient caches, will get over 10MB/s measured with Sysinfo, and not much below that measuring with other (more accurate) tools.

CF speed very much depends on the card itself. Fastest I've sound are the Lexar high-end models, and the latest Sandisk generation is not much slower. Unfortunately, CF cards don't work with caches at all, so they always take about as much time to search for a block as they take for the block to transfer it. I was amazed to see how much time is wasted when using CF cards compared to using real SSDs, which are only available with SATA interface. All the PATA SSDs I've tried are just CF cards in a different form factor.

I did not know your later accelerators had this IDE accelerator technology. Or I may have read about it then forgotten about it. I actually heard that real IDE drives have higher transfer rates than CF cards. 10MB per second is very impressive from the IDE.

Not possible to use IDE to SATA adapters and use SSDs?

• Not possible to use IDE to SATA adapters and use SSDs?

I tried this, didnt get this to work on my a600,a1200 and 4000t. If i remember correctly, i saw the SSD in the HD Toolbox, but i couldnt format/use it.

So now my MSX 2+ and MSX TurboR have the 'adapteritis' on there sunrise ide controllers ;) both running with an 128gb ssd.

• Just for the records. I am using a ide2sata adapter on my a2000 with a Buddha IDE controller and OS 3.1.4.1 and it works very well. But only one out of three ide2sata adapters I bought at a big A worked, so it is a bit of gambling. It needs try and error because OS, adapter and SSD(?) may implement different protocols and you need to find a working combination.

• Just for the records. I am using a ide2sata adapter on my a2000 with a Buddha IDE controller and OS 3.1.4.1 and it works very well. But only one out of three ide2sata adapters I bought at a big A worked, so it is a bit of gambling. It needs try and error because OS, adapter and SSD(?) may implement different protocols and you need to find a working combination.

Interesting. What HD speeds do you see in sysinfo with SSD?

• the mouse does not work in my A2000. Most likely Paula is broken...

Paula only handles the right mouse button, and that has never been a problem on any of the repairs I have done to an Amiga ever since I started working on Amigas back in 1987.

The mouse port on an A2000 has a fuse, and that's the prime suspect (green wired part, looks almost like a resistor and can be bridged with a thin wire). After that, you check the LS157 multiplexer for mouse directions and the CIA chips for left mouse button. Very low-cost parts, easy to exchange on an A2000.

• Paula only handles the right mouse button, and that has never been a problem on any of the repairs I have done to an Amiga ever since I started working on Amigas back in 1987.

The mouse port on an A2000 has a fuse, and that's the prime suspect (green wired part, looks almost like a resistor and can be bridged with a thin wire). After that, you check the LS157 multiplexer for mouse directions and the CIA chips for left mouse button. Very low-cost parts, easy to exchange on an A2000.

Thank you. And your are right, the two buttons are working, the movement is not working. Will check the fuse and U202/LS157.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.