Can't get ACA1221LC to boot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there!

First of all, merry christmas or whatever you guys are celebrating these days! :)

I got an ACA1221LC for my A1200 - 1D4 as christmas present and I can't seem to get it working. I tried cleaning both sides of the CPU contacts with eraser, moving and refitting the card several times using different "fitting options" as described on the instructions (half mm, 1mm, 2mm, etc...) disconnected CF adapter and floppy drive and it seems it doesn't want to "wake up". I also have tried three different PSUs (two original from A500 and A500+ that are currently working all right and another one brand new - not meanwell based AFAIK -). All I get is a black screen and no LED activity on the power side (always bright). The 1200 boots just fine without issues without the ACA1221LC.

I also have an ACA500+, so I tried the card on my 500 Plus with the ACA500+ and I didn't even get to the initial menu. Most of the time it tries to start and the numbers on de dismo screen appear dimmer than usual or the lights just come up and then they shut down immediately and nothing happens. Sometimes it stops on initialization (blue screen) and I get a flashing "E0" on the dismo. I also managed to get a green screen a couple of times with the dump attached.

The ACA500+ boots perfectly fine on the 500+ with two CFs + everything connected on the three PSUs.

Anything I could be missing? Anything else I can check on my side?

Thanks!

B.

forum.icomp.de/core/index.php?attachment/1572/

• Hi,

I had the same problems to connect the ACA1221lc to my ACA500+. The same problems like you write.

Finally I got it to work with a lot of trial and error. The solution was +- 1,5mm on the left side and on the right side 2-2,5 mm. You have to try a lot 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Didn’t try it on my A1200, there’s a Blizzard 1230 IV inside for almost 26 years.

I hope you find a solution to get it work.

Images

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answer! That's what I've been trying to do for the last hours without any success... tried every way of inserting the card I'm able to think of on the 1200 and the ACA500+, but sadly I can only get a black screen and the errors mentioned on my first post.

Any other suggestion? Was planning to go crazy on the A1200 over the holidays but it seems I'll have to look for other things to do :P

Thanks!

• Unfortunately, I cannot help you further with this. Jens or someone else from icomp will have to help you further.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• Take a close look into the white connector of the ACA1221lc: Is there any pin bent?

Also, take that same good look at the edge connector of the A1200: Is it chamfered? Some of them are not, and they tend to bend pins inward on the white connectors, rendering them useless.

• Hi Jens,

I can't see any pin bent inside the white connector of the ACA1221LC. I didn't push from the connector either, so the "outer" pins on the connector are not bent either.

On the other hand, seems that the edge connector on the 1200 it is slightly chamfered (this A1200 is from Amiga Technologies - Escom). The connector on the ACA500+ is more chamfered than the one on the 1200 and I can't get it to work there either :(.

I'm attaching photos of both edge connectors and the card itself. My warranty tag is ETXYP in case you need it.

Thanks!

B

• While a pencil eraser is already a good cleaning tool, you might want to try one more time with alcohol (IPA from a pharmacy is cheap and good, don't use contact sprays!) and micro fibre cloth. If that, combined with "pull back by 1mm" doesn't help, please ship the card back to us for a checkup. That said, the warranty ID does not show anything special in our data base, it just passed QC without additional touch-up.

• Hi Jens,

I already did that (eraser, IPA + microfibre cloth) on the first day but will try again more thoroughly to see if I'm lucky. If I'm not I'll probably ship the card tomorrow.

Thanks again!

B.

• Hi there,

Didn't have any luck trying it again after a couple of days, so I shipped the card yesterday, it should be around in a week tops.

Thanks for your work and patience, Jens!

Cheers,

B.

• Hello again and happy new year!

I just checked the tracking number and the package was delivered yesterday. Hope you can solve this out!

I got also an Indivision AGA Mk3 for another holiday we have here in Spain... yet another "personality" that gives presents to children and not-so-little-ones: the Three Wise Men. It's working flawlessly!

Thanks again for your work guys. Stay safe!

B.

• January 6th is a holiday in the southern (very catholic) states of Germany, but not here. And to my knowledge, German kids don't get yet more presents on that day - however, anything that *can* be commercialized may ultimately enter our culture, as the big sales chains will attempt to make an extra buck. When I was a kid, halloween just didn't happen around here, but it's very common now. Who knows what's next :-)

Now back to your return: Nope, there's nothing here with arrival date of January 5th. Maybe it's just arrived in Germany, handed over to another carrier?

• Agree... we didn't even have halloween either. We do have a thing called "Castañada" in some places around Spain (+info). But since 10 years aprox almost all we see here is halloween. Panellets are better than pumpkins imho :P

I just sent you over PM the details about the tracking and where I sent it... will wait until friday to see if the package appears. If not I'll have to call DHL to check what the hell they did with the package.

Thanks again!

B.

• Return is found and as I already wrote in private eMail, it was just not yet in the database. Reason is that we have a very strict policy for opening parcels: This is all done on camera, and two employees must be present when a parcel is opened. With Covid-19 distance rules in place, we're spreading working hours , so there's vastly reduced hours when all shop staff is in.

That said, your return probably won't be worked on until next week, as shop staff is busy with ACE2b testing and packing.

• Phew! If it's already there it's perfect. I'm not in a rush as I have other parts to test on the 1200 (Indivision AGA mk3 - tested yesterday -, several pcmcia cards, new mouse port, reset fix...) and I'm preparing a new CF card for it, so in the meanwhile I'll be quite busy :)

Cheers,

B.

• Hi everyone!

I'm here just to tell you that I just got back my ACA1221LC and it seems to work fine! I just connected the card and booted at the first try on the 1200. Had to flash a new config and reboot in order to get fastmem up (it was getting only ~512k). Everything seems to be working perfect so far, so you can mark this thread as resolved.

Thank you iComp team.

Cheers,

B

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.