MK2 issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So I have been trying to figure out the issue with my MK2, it all started with basically no more programs working from my Chameleon v2 before and with the latest build except for crt files. I also noticed that when I would return to the basic screen I would get a blue blank screen on my LCD or Grey on my Commodore CRT with the outline of the boarder visible, no cursor and none of the standard basic screen stuff is visible. So I took the Chameleon out of play and connected directly first with SVideo then the 8-Pin connector to both my LCD and my old Commodore CRT, same issue. When I run a test with the dead test I get the dead test screen and the test indicates the PLA being bad. Not sure how well that works on this board, but everything else bases like a regular C64 board. The PLA is part of the board, so nothing to change. I did open pull both CIA and Sound Chips and get the same blue/gray screen. I will try connecting a older laptop later to see if I see anything there. Any specific info that would be helpful? Any other ideas? Oh yes, keyboard works fine.

• Standard set of chips for the available sockets, also tried spares for the CIA's, CPU and VIC. Sound chips are the ones I ordered from you guys when I purchased the board. All chips test fine (did not test the sound chips) on my other 250466 C64. PSU is from you as well. Having problems with getting the remote menu to come up. Will try with another Laptop tomorrow, getting late here.

• If the picture that Tobias posted is yours (can't view that external hoster, too lazy to poke holes into my security/privacy settings), I don't see any hint at what may be wrong. What you could attempt is tu run the updater - not because you don't have the latest version (you actually do have the latest), but to re-flash the ROMs.

I guess you saved it as a jpg from heic.

Yes. The format was probably also the reason why you could not upload the file (i have never heard about this format myself before...). So next time just save jpg or png and you'll be fine :)

Can you convert the others as well since I cannot edit the post.

I only see one picture there. The previously posted links seem already dead.

• Back in business, what I ended up doing to fix the issue is flash to a prior version which brought back the default boot screen and then updating to the newest afterwards. Now the question is what could have caused this? Could the Chameleon cause a corruption like this? Any plans on providing another firmware update to the MK2 since this one is nearly 3 years old that may address weird issues like this? Anyhow thanks for answering so quickly, wasn't really expecting anything until after the new year.

• Now the question is what could have caused this?

No idea - the C64 Reloaded MK2 is part of our test scenario, and we did not encounter this before. I therefore have to assume that it's a flipped bit in the flash rom, which may happen "every now and then" on modern flash chips. Why this was only cured for you with going back to an old, then to a newer version, I can't explain, but maybe Peter can - he wrote the updater.

Any plans on providing another firmware update to the MK2 since this one is nearly 3 years old that may address weird issues like this?

The C64 Reloaded MK2 is feature-complete and bug-free in terms of "reproducable errors". If you have a way to reproduce this issue, we can of course look at it, but the way it looks right now, it's a random hardware glitch that is fixed by re-flashing. If this only happens once in a few years on a single machine, it's hard to fix. And who knows, it might have been caused by a rare radiation event, so it's never reproducable, at least not within a lifetime.

• Why this was only cured for you with going back to an old, then to a newer version, I can't explain, but maybe Peter can - he wrote the updater.

Nope no clue. The sequence of operations is the same for all firmware versions, it doesn't check versions before programming. Supporting the scenario where you want to overwrite the same version for some reason. And it does a full erase before writing the blocks, so it should NOT matter what was already in the flash.

• I will keep an eye out for any further issues. Like I said this was a very sudden thing that just kind of happened one day to the next. Danke nochmals und ich wünsche euch allen ein frohes und gesundes neues Jahr 2021.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.