ACA1221ec upgrade?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Is it possible to upgrade the memory expansion on the ACA1221ec?

The issue I have with the card is when I load up workbench I only have 6,119,392 of other mem.

When I try to load some games from WHDLoad I get a message “ Can’t allocate ExpMem”

I was just hoping I could get a memory expansion on the card as I believe it only has 9mb.

• Tinylauncher and then put tinylauncher close to the top in startup sequence will free up some memory. On one of my A1200s I have an 8MB fast RAM expansion and with tinylauncher early in the startup sequence I get over 7MB fast RAM free.

• Tinylauncher and then put tinylauncher close to the top in startup sequence will free up some memory. On one of my A1200s I have an 8MB fast RAM expansion and with tinylauncher early in the startup sequence I get over 7MB fast RAM free.

thanks I will give that a go.

No. The ACA1221ec already has full memory, MapROM and CPU speed.

if I was to upgrade would a ACA1221lc be a good choice?

• if I was to upgrade would a ACA1221lc be a good choice?

It will give you a tiny added amount of memory and a bit more "performance per MHz". If you ask me, it's not worth the effort. Granted, the ACA1221lc is faster and adds the IDE speeder, but the added price is only worth it if you're solving "lots of problems" at the same time, such as "missing just under 2MByte of mem in so many games" and "willing to spend money on an IDE speeder anyway".

Note that the 40MHz overclocking may only work if you have a very good power supply - about the same as you require for 42.5MHz operation of the ACA1221ec. For comparison of performance, please check the Wiki.

• thanks I will give that a go.

So I just got the ACA 500 Plus. With this one I have about 6.3MB fast RAM free with Tiny Launcher early in the startup. With this one I was sure I would get problems pre-loading games like Monkey Island 2 or Indiana Jones Fate Of Atlantis because they use 11 disks. that should equal to about 9.68MB RAM needed to pre-load. Surprisingly I had no problems pre-loading these games with 6.3MB fast RAM available. Your ACA 1221EC should have something like 9MB Fast RAM available for use with whdload. So you should end up with about 8MB available with Tiny Launcher early in the startup. You should have no issues. Beneath a Steel Sky is the only game I have trouble pre-loading with any of my setups that has below 10MB Fast RAM. Even this game will work with less mem but the screen will blink as you transition between screens. Game is still fully playable. Games mentioned here are worst case scenarios. All other official games requires less Fast mem to pre-load. So the only official game I can think of where you may get a blinking screen due to not having enough fast RAM to pre-load is Beneath a Steel Sky.

• I’ve managed to close down a few workbench applications running in the background like AMIDock and taken the desktop wallpaper off and it’s seemed to of free’d up some memory. Games work fine now 😀

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.