Indivision AGA MK3 - first impressions

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, since support forums rarely have positive feedback, I wanted to share my very initial impressions in the products (it came in today).

I purchased it together with ACA1211, so I went ahead and plugged both in at the same time - taking into account I'd have to reverse that in case of problems.

So I powered everything up, connected my HDMI display and there was the first problem - the display did turn on, but said the signal was out of range. I though - uh oh... So I connected my old external scandoubler back to check if the system was booting. Luckily, it was, so I downloaded adf with the Indivision tool, plugged it into Gotek drive, loaded EDID information from the display and switched display mode to 1920x1080. It turned out that the preloaded was not in line with any of the EDID modes.

After that, I got crisp image via HDMI (day to night difference in terms of quality vs my old scandoubler) and now I'm playing to get the most out of it.

So far so good, both products seem to be working properly. The Indivision does get warm, so I have to reposition by SD card, but other than that - very happy with the purchase! My only suggestion at this point would be to somehow detect on first power on, if the selected output resolution (and refresh rate) is within the display's specs, if EDID is indeed available.

I'll drop an update after this weekend.

• My only suggestion at this point would be to somehow detect on first power on, if the selected output resolution (and refresh rate) is within the display's specs, if EDID is indeed available.

EDID is something that only the config tool can do. The flicker fixer does not have "intelligence" on it's own (other than loading a config depending on the screen mode), so the only CPU that can do such a comparison is the main CPU. That, however, cannot load any code from the flash chip of the flicker fixer, as that's simply on the wrong bus.

The standard config is a simple 60Hz 800x600 mode. I find it very unusual that your monitor does not like that - what type of monitor is that?

• Yeah thanks for the positive feedback!

My only suggestion at this point would be to somehow detect on first power on, if the selected output resolution (and refresh rate) is within the display's specs, if EDID is indeed available.

I can see your point, but problem with this approach is that the startup resolution (probably 640x256), doesn't have to match the workbench resolution. So even if we did this at poweron the moment the workbench gets loaded it could still lose the picture again. Which means it would have to check the EDID on every resolution change, but we decided that all that parsing complexity is put in the config tool and not the hardware, you know to keep the costs reasonable.

• The standard config is a simple 60Hz 800x600 mode. I find it very unusual that your monitor does not like that - what type of monitor is that?

Yeah, it is strange, especially that Windows is able to display 800x600. I did test all 3 preconfigured 800x600 modes, but none of them worked. Moreover, when I dumped EDID on Windows, it did list 800x600@72Hz, but this mode is not working with the Indivision.

• Weird. The 800x600 mode we're generating in the standard config is 100% VESA-standard. I wouldn't know what a Windows system does differently.

Again: What's the mysterious monitor type that doesn't eat this mode? I'd like to know the vendor and type, so we can see if it's either "some Chinese model that will vanish from the market anyway", or a big brand name that we should look at and fix.

• it's Iiyama ProLite x2472hd.

So looked that up. Documenation of this monitor specifies vertical as 55-70Hz. So indeed 800x600@72hz you tried is outside the supported range. The only VGA modes supported are 640x350 and 720x400. So this monitor is very limited what it accepts as input. It seems to lack support of many common VESA modes and only 60 Hz versions can be used.

• Ok, so I did a test with my LG OLED TV and it handled default (800x600) resolution without issues. So, I guess, it's this Chinese display that's causing trouble :).

Anyway, one additional comment is that I only get sound via HDMI when I set output frequency to 96kHz (tested both with the aforementioned Iiyama display, as well as my Denon AV Receiver. It works though, so no issues, just wondering why neither 44.1 nor 48kHz seem to work.

• just wondering why neither 44.1 nor 48kHz seem to work.

Yeah no idea about that one either. Some devices support all of them and other monitors/capture cards it is one of them only. So that is why the option is there, initially we only had 48 Khz, but that didn't work for all devices. Lucky for you 96 Khz is actually the one providing the best audio quality.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.