ACA2000 - What is it?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I was recently browsing the shop looking at the a1200 accelerators and notice you make reference to the upcoming aca2000. I couldn’t see any information in the news section of the website.

can you tell us anything about this product?

Thanks in advance.

• Not much more than "I have postponed it a number of times because my development machine needs TLC and a low-noise power supply". The plan is to make a very low-cost card that can work as memory expansion if operated by itself, or as adapter for ACA12xx accelerators, giving you a whole range of accelerators to choose from.

I don't want to reveal too many ideas that I have for this thing, as these aren't verified to work yet.

• I just HAD to login to comment on this:

ACA2000 would be an absolutely wonderful addition to your already big range of accelerators, especially if it would be able to host ACA12xx cards like the ACA500 and ACA500Plus do. Maybe the upcoming ACA1240 and 1260 would work on it too!? And maybe ACA2000 would have the easy to use ACA500 menu system, installer, fast CF/IDE and AUX, networking, clockport... *droool*

I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Just saying. ;)

• Maybe the upcoming ACA1240 and 1260 would work on it too!?

Absolutely, yes.

And maybe ACA2000 would have the easy to use ACA500 menu system, installer, fast CF/IDE and AUX, networking, clockport... *droool*

Unlikely - mass storage and networking is in A2000 Zorro slots, so no CF cards. And I'd have a hard time imagining a mechanical solution for mounting the X-Surf-500 in an A2000 case. My big challenge is to make Zorro slots work, and to make them fast, even though the A1200 accelerator needs to go through several layers of synchronization to access these slots.

Further, the A2000 is not a gaming machine like the A500 used to be, so I will also strip the AR3 emulation. In return, the ACA2000 has a chance to be very low-cost.

• Yes I got a little carried away there and I see your point.

Storage can be done with the Buddha IDE and networking with the X-surf. Rapidroad goes in either one so that's also sorted. (And I have all of those already :) )

So basically the ACA2000 would have 2 functions: To work as a basic 68k accelerator +Z2 ram like the ACA500Plus, and to work as a "carrier card" for your A1200 accelerators. And being low-cost.

I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.

• To work as a basic 68k accelerator

Even that is something I haven't decided yet; I may even skip on the CPU to make it even more affordable. In my view, the A2000 is a "desktop work machine", and it would not be suitable with "just a 68000". I don't really like the idea of having multiple CPUs in a computer where the majority is idle all the time. Back in the 1990s, a 7MHz 68000 with fastmem did well on the workbench, and I'd like to explore the possibility of using the 68000 on the A2000 main board - which is of course inspired by my defective A2000 that currently only works with an accelerator. I want to repair that :-)

• Even if the ACA2000 would be just a carrier card for ACA12xx's it would be very interesting. Your ACA12xx line of accelerators range from 020 up to 060 with the upcoming cards and I believe this would open lots of possibilities for our lovely A2000's. A2000 040 and 060 accelerators are stupid rare and expensive and the ACA2000 is the cure for this.

So for our (customers) sake let's hope you get your A2000 fixed and get the inspiration to develop the ACA2000! :)

• Hi, I am following this for a long time. I will be happy to add this to the already big collection of Icomp products. I hope that the madness of the brexit will end soon because we are alone on this Island... Anyway, I will be happy if you drop even the cpu to make it affordable, work on an A2000 with a 68000, even if at 40 MHz, is not ideal. I wish only for something like the A1200 to speed up a buddha IDE or an IDE onboard the ACA2000 to have a faster IDE solution that with an A12xx, maybe with a discount if bought with the ACA2000 (I am joking), will be an amazing solution.

Even the memory expansion may be dropped because it means, also, to use the A2000 with a slow 68000 7MHz. Having to use an ACA12xx means at least 128MB of fast memory, honestly, it is enough. What the A2000 need is a fast media interface, a good managing of the z2 bus and the ability to use the DMA for that. An RTG will complete the picture, so with all the said things, it will be an amazing experience. Especially because a product for the A2000 made in a professional way, it is something that all the people like me, that already have trowed some money, really needs.

Thanks Jens to not give up on us with your great work.

• That will not be possible to A1200-accelerator memory. There is no available data path or protocol.

Hi, what do you mean? It is impossible for the aca1230n to use a zorro bus, the DMA or both? In that case, what can we use as accelerator whit this ACA2000 to be able to use an RTG too? I know that the aca1200 have no handle for the zorro bus, but I hoped that the aca200o will cover that part. But this are just fantasies of an ignorant person (ME :-) ).Thanks

• It is impossible for the aca1230n to use a zorro bus, the DMA or both?

Zorro bus yes, DMA no.

what can we use as accelerator whit this ACA2000 to be able to use an RTG too?

RTG does not require DMA, so a Picasso 2 or similar will work. What won't work is a GVP SCSI controller or the A2091. A Deneb card will have to be set to "PIO mode only". It's going to be a minority of cards that won't work, but I want to provide adequate replacements in terms of "decent performance with iComp's cards".

• Zorro bus yes, DMA no.

RTG does not require DMA, so a Picasso 2 or similar will work. What won't work is a GVP SCSI controller or the A2091. A Deneb card will have to be set to "PIO mode only". It's going to be a minority of cards that won't work, but I want to provide adequate replacements in terms of "decent performance with iComp's cards".

We can achieve a decent speed with buddha and the fast ide on the new ACA12xx cards or you have a better solution for mass storage? I know that it is still a lot to come but ..... I suppose that an A2000 with this ACA2000 and a fancy ACA1240 (at least) with an RTG (possibly a zz9000) deserve a decent read/write speed and the Zorro II is not that great at it.

Just an IDE Controller on board that make the main mass storage like a rocket...please... :-)

I am joking. I hope to see the masterpiece as soon as possible and a final solution to the mess with the UK custom.

Thanks for your amazing work.

• and the Zorro II is not that great at it.

..which is why my plan is to alter the Z2 speed a bit. I already have exchanged a few eMails with Lukas, so zz9000 (and possibly the predecessor) can take advantage of a shortened access, resulting in higher throughput.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.