Indivision ECS V2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi

I finally got around to installing the Indivision ECS board I bought this spring into my A500 and I am underwhelmed.

First, if I go into Prefs/Screenmode I can only see the following NTSC display modes:

320 x 200

640 x 480.

I am surprised that I am limited to these screen modes considering my Amiga 500 has the ECS Denise and Angus chip.

I have tried the board with an Acer AL 1913 and a Asus widescreen LCD monitor.

Second, at 640 x 480 the workbench screen is not taking up my monitors entire screen. The WB starts at the top left but only goes about 2/3 of the way down and to the right.

I am running AmigaOS 3.1.4.

Did I miss a configuration somewhere or is this as good as it gets?

Appreciate the help.

Alex

• and I am underwhelmed.

This will change as soon as you read the documentation:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_ECS_V2/doc

This isn't exactly insider information. The short docs point to it.

Did I miss a configuration somewhere or is this as good as it gets?

It's as good as you make it by using the information that is freely available to you. However, I have to pass the disappointing news that our products don't have a "do what I mean" button.

• 1 - When will the Indivision ECS V2 be available again?

We are currently working on QC of more units - probably later this week.

2 - Are you planing any new Indivision ECS with HDMI output? (similar to the new aga model)

I did think about this a number of times, but there's quite a few roadblocks. Biggest one is clocking, as the true benefit of HDMI is that many devices accept 50Hz input. However, a sync output of 50Hz requires a sync pixel clock, which we cannot generate from the low-frequency clocks on the Denise socket - at least not with the FPGAs that we normally use.

Another roadblock is power consumption and resulting heat; many A500s are not equipped with a strong-enough power supply, so buying a HDM! flickerfixer would mostly go along with buying a CA-PSU, making the whole endeavour quite costly.

This all tells me that it might be a better idea to stay with the V2 design as-is.

• ok, thank you!

I right now use a retro computer shack cable to go from the amiga video connector to scart (mixing the audio LR also in the cable) I then use a SCART to HDMI converter. It works fine but when I use any of the screen modes in interlace resolutions, you can see the bothering old screen flickering, specially when you move windows in the OS. I also get few resolution modes.

Two questions:

1 - If I purchase and install an Indivision ECS V2 in my A500 v6. will it fix the flikering?

2 - will the additional memory chip RAM expansion that I just purchased ACE2b will provide more screen modes (after I change my denise to a super denise) in my v6 motherboard? (also just purchased in ebay)

by the way... I am assuming that the Indivision ECS V2 does not have its own VGA port or any type of output port (Not in picture or product description), that I will continue to use the Amiga RGB video output port. right?

Thank you so much for all your help!

• 1 - If I purchase and install an Indivision ECS V2 in my A500 v6. will it fix the flikering?

That's the prime goal of the product :-)

2 - will the additional memory chip RAM expansion that I just purchased ACE2b will provide more screen modes (after I change my denise to a super denise) in my v6 motherboard? (also just purchased in ebay)

Super Denise is not required - Indivision ECS V2 replaces the chip completely, and provides all the functionality of the highest-spec Denise chip. So yes, higher resolutions will be available, but with the ECS limitations (number and choice of colours). If you can, cancel your eBay purchase and only buy the flicker fixer - we've put a few units into the shop now (just passed QC).

by the way... I am assuming that the Indivision ECS V2 does not have its own VGA port or any type of output port (Not in picture or product description), that I will continue to use the Amiga RGB video output port. right?

The VGA connector is on a ribbon cable, also in the product picture. The RGB connector of the Amiga will still show the normal picture, but with flickering in case of interlace modes.

• What is this indivision ECS v2 ghosting problem that people are complaining about?

If I purchase the just release ECS v2 on your store, will I have that problem? and if yes, when?

Thanks!

• Some monitors have the problem, especially ones with Samsung panel/input stage. At this point, all Indivision ECS V2 are equal, I haven't done the patch-board yet, and it will be a paid upgrade once I get around to making it.

• ok,

How common is the Sansung panel/ input stage? is there any way to know if a monitor will have that problem?

how does a paid upgrade looks? customers sends the card to you for repair? and customer pays for shipping + Service ?

• I can't tell how "common" these are, as there are numerous vendors with changing panel makers. For some customers it's "just great", others don't like it to a degree that they want to send it back. I suggest to look at the picture quality at a friend's place who already has a unit if you don't want to risk the money for sending the unit back.

We will be offering the boards for self-modification first. It will involve removing a few SMD components and soldering the board on - not an easy task. We'll have to see if an official upgrade procedure can be offered here, as too few people indicated that they'd be willing to cough up extra money for CE testing, which would be required to keep things 100% legal.

• Hi Jens,

I just got my Indivision ECS v2 and installed it in my A500. Just with the configuration out of the box, I was NOT impressed ... until I also connected my usual RGB to scart cable and converter to HDMI also at the same time in another identical monitor next to each other. Then I saw the difference! the indivision provides a much better clear image, more natural colors, and NO FLICKERING in interlace mode. and again... this is just at 800x600 with default settings and my amiga at PAL 640x512 interlaced. So ... just wanted to say THANK YOU! Happy customer!!! :)

There is a very small amount of ghosting only in the right side of the windows... but to tell you the true, it is also in my previous video converter solution (and much worse) and I never even noticed. Now I was looking for it ... the rest of the screen is picture perfect, clear, and very nice colors...

I am now going to try and download the HighGFX drivers and see if I can use it to get a higher resolution (to fill the entire monitor)... and also play with the indivision configuration utility... my goal is to display 1080p or the highest possible resolutions (at good quality) what will be the best way to do it? using the HighGFX drivers and Indivision configuration utility or jus the drivers or just the utility?

THanks!

• Oh also I forgot to ask...

Where is the recommended place to physically install the VGA connector in the case of the amiga 500? I cant to the left because I got a SUPRA RAM 500RX 2GB and the ACA500Plus card. I dont see any space on the back of the amiga, only all the way to the right but the cable does not reach... Is there a longer cable?

Thanks!

• Where is the recommended place to physically install the VGA connector in the case of the amiga 500?

I leave it dangling out the back of the computer. This weven works with the screws tightened.

I got a SUPRA RAM 500RX 2GB and the ACA500Plus card.

At the same time? Hmm.. not the best idea - not just because of power consumption, but also signal quality. The ACA500plus is meant to plug directly to the A500.

• Questions:

What is the maximum resolution that I can set in an Amiga 500 rev6 with 2MB chip (ACE2b), with ACA500Plus 28MHz, Indivision ECS v2, 1080p monitor 16:9, and 16 colors or more?

- The max combination I have been able to produce is: Monitor type: highGFX, Screen Mode: SuperPlus High Res Laced 800x600 with 16 colors.

- The most compatible with the indivision ECS v2 and RGB: Monitor type: PAL, Screen Mode: PAL 700x564 (overscan) with 16 colors.

Can I do better than that? more colors and better resolution? or is there a way to have 32 colors at any of those two resolutions?

Thanks!

• Any Hires mode is limited to maximum 16 colors on the OCS/ECS chipset. For more colors you need to have lowres, which will limit the horizontal size to approx 400 pixels wide. There is superhires in ECS chipset, doubling the horizontal resolution, but that really cuts down on the colors (both the number of colors and the color depth), IIRC the maximum number of colors for superhires screens is 4 on ECS.

So the highGFX 800x600 by 16 colors is a pretty good result for a Amiga 500, sitting in the middle of its capabilities giving 16 colors with resolutions above standard PAL.

• I don't have a date, but I have been trying to buy parts for several weeks now. Chip-shortage makes things considerably more expensive, which is already represented in the new price shown in the shop. Also, I had to make a few changes to the design to adjust for available parts. Will publish all details in a news item once production is started.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

I'm trying to consolidate the number of Monitors in use in my office and would like to connect my A500+ with an ECS v2 installed to a modern HDMI equipped monitor.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the right VGA to HDMI adapter to do this - TBF, they've been cheap but I get no display, or I only get to see the ACA500 plus main menu screen and afterwards when booting to Workbench, a blank screen.

Do you have any suggestions on a compatible unit please?

Kind Regards,

Darren

• I don't know any "compatible unit", but you can of course try to play with the config tool to get a Vesa-compatible output. First thing I'd do is switch off VSync, then choose a standard output size/frequency like 800x600@60Hz.

• Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the right VGA to HDMI adapter to do this - TBF, they've been cheap but I get no display, or I only get to see the ACA500 plus main menu screen and afterwards when booting to Workbench, a blank screen.

Do you have any suggestions on a compatible unit please?

Which device do yo use right now? Does your converter do any scaling itself? Those that scale should be avoided. I've got this Chameleon Core update 9j veröffentlicht C

What resolution is your Monitor? Here Chameleon Core update 9j veröffentlicht I've posted a 1080p 50Hz compatible configuration.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.