Lyra3 and A2000

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm having trouble with using a Lyra3 and an A2000. That said, I don't have an original Amiga keyboard, this was hopefully my only option for now. I get nothing out of the Lyra; tried it with two different keyboard adapters and finally two different keyboards (a mini ps/2 keyboard and then an IBM model M).

I see the keyboard light up, but that's it. Pressing left/shift-pause doesn't light up scroll lock to indicate config mode at all.

Since I had a ps/2 breakout board handy, I manually connected the clock/data signals to the CIA chip @ U300 to bypass the keyboard adapter, and still, I'm getting nothing. Did I get a dud, or could by motherboard be having issues? (5v is ok, and I tried swapping the CIA chips around).

• Swapping the CIA chips was already a good idea, and it's very unlikely that both CIAs have a defective shift register. I'd expect the problem to be somewhere else, most likely in the keyboard communication between PS2 keyboard and Lyra 3.

Only with power applied, the keyboard's LEDs should light up and change if you press caps lock, for example. If that does not work, the keyboard may not be compatible. Are you sure that the keyboard is OK and that it's realyl a PS2 keyboard? If it has a USB connector, then these USB-PS2 adapters will only work if the keyboard actually supports the PS2 protocol. You have to know that these USB-PS2 adapters are completely passive, so they don't do protocol translation.

So please make sure that you see proper communication between keyboard ans Lyra before working on the computer.

• Ok so just for reference, I made sure my scope was set up right and could see/trigger on data signals from a ps/2 keyboard (using the IBM model M (clikey), the textbook definition of ps/2). I then powered up the Lyra (using a nice HP power supply) with the keyboard connected (no Amiga), and probing the data and clock pins on the ps/2 keyboard connector, I get nothing on either clock or data pins. I then turned it off and made sure there was continuity from the plug to the appropriate pins, and there was. Seems either the chip or the resistor pack is pulling the ps/2 pins too high? I verified the resistor pack is 2.2k ohms. I tried 2 other real ps/2 keyboards and they all do the same.

On probing the outputs of the Lyra, both the data and clock pins seem to be pulsing a bit at about one pulse a second or so, which I think is normal? (I believe thats the handshake to the Amiga, going by the instructions).

Since the Amiga seems to have the same pinout as a normal IBM keyboard (I know the protocols are different), I plugged a keyboard directly into it, and had no problem seeing clock/data activity on the CIA. I actually got a screen to change on the Amiga test kit just pressing random keys, so I think the computer itself is likely good.

I think I got a dud Lyra :-(

• On probing the outputs of the Lyra, both the data and clock pins seem to be pulsing a bit at about one pulse a second or so, which I think is normal? (I believe thats the handshake to the Amiga, going by the instructions).

That sounds like a re-sync, which of course will only end if the Amiga is connected. So "something" is working on the chip side.

I think I got a dud Lyra

We do test every single unit before it leaves - even before it gets it's warranty ID, but Lyra is the only product that doesn't have the warranty ID in clear text on the outside. If you have a bar code reader, I can pull up the test report, but that won't change functionality on your end, so please just send it back. Let's hope you're not on the other side of the pond..

Before shipping anything back, please read this article.

• Did you have success with M and diff Lyra? Mine does exact same and was planning to try a diff ps/2 tomm to see if it works.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.