ACA500 Plus And ACA1221-LC not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Thanks for the feedback - you may even be able to run the ACA1221ec at 42.5MHz with the CA-PSU. A small passive heat sink on top of the CPU might be required, but 68ec020 CPUs with the right mask set are surprisingly fast if they get exactly 5V (not 4,95V).

Heat in the PSU should really be no concern with the CA-PSU, as the amount of heat generated in there is a fraction of what other power supplies do. That's really a difference you can *feel* ;-) (well, apart from the fact that it's working stable now).

• A little bit off topic but I can fry an egg on my old psu's, but that is no longer possible on the new ca-psu. :)

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• Will this apply to the ACA1221lc too?

The ACA1221lc can "only" be clocked to 40MHz, but the big difference is that it has a faster memory controller. The ACA1221lc is faster at 40MHz (7430 Sysinfo-Dhrystones) than the ACA1221ec at 42.5MHz (just 6401 Sysinfo-Dhrystones). Further, the ACA1221lc is shipped with a small glue-on heat sink by default.

If you just want to know about the CA-PSU having an influence on overclocking success, then the answer is a clear YES. We did find that precise voltage at the A1200 main board is key to overclocking success. Too low voltage will limit the frequency, but too-high voltage will also limit the CPU speed, as with higher voltage, you always get more heat in the CPU. So the key is highest precision on 5V regulation, which is only possible with cable drop compensation - the unique selling feature of the CA-PSU. Note that this is not a guarantee, though: Overclocking is not a guaranteed feature, neither for the ACA1221lc, nor for the ACA1221ec, and you also don't get this guarantee with the CA-PSU.

However, there's always the possibility to ship things back to us for a refund. Doesn't happen very often - once installed, people discover that a lot of problems are gone with a proper power supply and a new accelerator with IDE speeder :-)

• Hi Jens

New PSU arrived today, but still no luck, symptoms as before. I think I'm going to have to send the ACA1221 back as it doesn't work on any of the Amigas I have.

Or is there something else I can try?

• Thank you Jens, I will send out this week.

Just to give "yet another" hint: You may feel that you've bought the CA-PSU for nothing. Sending back the ACA1221 for repair is also a chance for you to execute your right of revocation and get the money back for it.

• Hi Jens

When will you/someone be able to take a look at the card (was delivered on the 22)?

If the card cannot be repaired is it possible to have 'store credit' for when a 030 card becomes available, appreciate nothing can be shipped back to me at the moment anyway

Many thanks

• The card has already been repaired, but since neither DHL, nor Parcel One are taking any shipments for the UK or Ireland, shipping this back will have to wait.

I would have loved to ship this back before the new Brexit regulations, but we need to wait until your government lifts the restrictions that were implemented due to the new Covid strain.

• Was there any delay due to customs? I remember we pushed it out with a zero-invoice and a standard customs declaration, which implies "no VAT due here", so we've been able to ship despite our (so far) missing UK VAT registration.

• No customs issues, arrived very fast after you posted it

I've had a lot of fun playing with it. Being able to use IBrowse on my childhood computer is amazing.

Looking forward to the 1260 accelerators in the future, I'll be watching your news feed closely

Once again many thanks

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.