ACA500 Plus And ACA1221-LC not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi

I have a issue when the ACA1221 is connected to the ACA500 plus.

The ACA500 briefly lights up then dims and nothing happens.

If I disconnect the ACA1221 everything works correctly.

I've tried pulling the card back a mm or 2 to try and get it to boot.

I've had it boot once, checked sys info and the card was detected.

Since then has not worked.

Tried it with 2 power supplies

• Had the same problem with this 1221 card and the ACA500+

The trick with the 2 à 3 mm helped here but it's not the perfect and best solution.

A very light tap against the 1221 and there is a good chance that you will get a black screen.

In the meantime I bought a plexi housing for the Aca500+, now let's hope when this is built in with the 1221 I don't get a black screen ...

Didn't test with my A1200, don't want to pull out the Blizzard 1230 IV

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

Edited once, last by Phil ().

• This sounds very much like a contact problem - please clean the ACA500plus edge connector with alcohol and a micro fibre cloth (don't use contact sprays!), and the other side with alcohol and an old toothbrush. Again, don't use contact sprays, as they contain lubricants for potentiometers. IPA should be available in any pharmacy around the planet, and that's perfect for cleaning these contacts. You'll be surprised how "black" the micro fibre cloth will be, depending on the air pollution in your area.

• Hi Jens

I tried that last night, I used IPA and the cloth came back spotlessly clean.

Also the Ram/RTC card in my sons A1200 works (on his A1200).

The ACA1221 doesn't work on either machine.

Looking in the edge connector for the ACA1221 the pins do look very recessed in the plastic guides, could it be they are not protruding enough to make contact. Is it worth trying to bend them out a little?

Many thanks

• Looking in the edge connector for the ACA1221 the pins do look very recessed in the plastic guides, could it be they are not protruding enough to make contact. Is it worth trying to bend them out a little?

These connectors have a guaranteed force of 15g per contact pin. If you start bending things, you may not improve it, but break them for good.

You should really try to pull it back a little, and maybe put a support under the card if you're using it on the ACA500plus.

You might want to take a picture of the connector - maybe your A1200 does not have a chamfered edge and the connector got damaged there. If the pins are really pushed back, the only chance is a new connector.

• I've tried the card at various depths on the ACA500plus and supported underneath (no luck)

I think its unlikely the A1200 did any damage as the existing card in it works ok, and I first tried the card on the A500 as that's where I intend to use it.

Also just looked at the edge connector in better light and the pins look OK (raised enough from the plastic guides), I can still send a picture, but I suspect its fine

Any other suggestions for what I can try?

• This is my best solution and still works.

On the left side of the card I pull back about 2mm and on the right side about 2.5mm.

It works for the last 2 weeks. A support under the card helps also.

Now have to be very carefull 😬 when I build it in his plexi house.

• Phil, Jens

Thank you for the suggestions but I still can't get it to work

I did a test with my multimeter. With the card connected to the ACA500plus I checked the connection between the pins on the ACA1221 and ACA500 and all the top ones had good connectivity, checked a couple of the bottom ones and connectivity was also good

• "a couple" won't do the trick - a single pin not making contact can break functionality. Please take a picure of the connector, looking inside where the card edge is inserted.

• the A-Power one from amiga store EU

...is known-bad and should not be connected to any machine that has any more hardware in it other than the naked machine. Please read our Power supply FAQ for more details - the A-Power PSU has been sold to you with false advertising. It is not suitable for an Amiga. You should return it for a refund.

• Ok, any suggestions on another power supply I can purchase? I would buy from you but I think your out of stock. Would the stock A500 power supply not be capable of powering the ACA1221?

I would buy from you but I think your out of stock.

Select 110V model, then 220V model again and you can order - it's a rather annoying bug in the shop system

• There is no way to tell this from remote, of course :) But we had a lot of customers where problems could be be tracked down to bad PSUs (which is why Jens designed his in the first place) so there is a good chance it is.

• Thank you Tobias, I'll wait for the new PSU to arrive and then go from there

I'm now running an ACA 500 with a 1221EC accelerator. I recently replaced my original PSU with the icomp CA-PSU and it solved all my stability problems. I also recommend the acrylic case from plexilaser.de to keep everything safe (and neatly route an ECSv2 VGA cable if you have one of those).

If you do get a case it's best not to place the CA-PSU on top of it. I absent mindlessly did that blocking the air holes and radiatated heat into the plexi case - it didn't crash but it did feel warmer than usual so I won't do it again :S

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.