Chameleon C64 Core - Compatible Monitors

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • We've had some info regarding monitors on our wiki - however, the new VGA controller in 9j changes everything (to the better, hopefully)

So, it would be great if you could post some quick info on your experiences with the 9j (and later) cores. Please post the following information:

- Name of your monitor (vendor and exact product code)

- Native resolution (and aspect ratio)

- Do the 50Hz modes work with VICII sync (in cartridge mode)?

- Whatever else you think is useful :)

Thanks!

• Installed new core and screen display is perfect !

- Samsung TV/Monitor T24D390

- 800 x 600 4:3 50Hz

- Yes

The screen now covers the entire 4: 3 area compared to the previous 9i core.

Also SID emulation is more accurate. Thank you.

Good work !

• Going a little offtopic but I dont know where to put it else ..
    Is there NO way the new/used Eizo in the shop can go down to 15 khz for Amiga classic RGBtoVGA adapter like the BenQs BL702a and BL912 ?

Otherwise great initiative to have a Chameleon supported display available !

Greets !

• First of all, did you update to the latest Firmware?

In any case, please understand the list on that Wiki page is based on feedback from our customers, and the reported success was with Beta 8c, which was release long ago - many things changed since then. Its even possible that different variants of that monitor exist which use different firmware (the native display frequency seems to be 60Hz)

• btw, you can add the BenQ BL702A to the list aswell. I have two of them. It works with VIC II sync on all cores I've tried, including the latest ones. I also have the BenQ BL912 which you have on the list. BL702A and BL912 behaves exactly the same when using VGA.

BenQ BL702A:

- Aspect ratio: 5:4

- Resolution: 1280x1024

- 50Hz mode and sync to VIC II on: Yes it works in cartridge mode

- In general: Looks best with the current TC64 V2 settings: 640x480@50Hz Sync to VIC II on or 768x576@50Hz Sync to VIC II on. Also, increase pixelclock to 100 for these two profiles to stretch the picture horizontally for better aspect ratio and filling the screen more. These same settings goes for BenQ BL912 aswell

• I see the Eizo Flexscan S1933 listed on the shop site where the Chameleon is mentioned, but not listed on the Wiki. Does it work with the Chameleon or just the Amiga stuff?

• First of all, did you update to the latest Firmware?

In any case, please understand the list on that Wiki page is based on feedback from our customers, and the reported success was with Beta 8c, which was release long ago - many things changed since then. Its even possible that different variants of that monitor exist which use different firmware (the native display frequency seems to be 60Hz)

Yes of course, I tried the latest one. But as you say, it seems 50Hz is not in the vertical range of that monitor.

However, I tried with a more recent monitor, AOC U3277FWQ, and got it working fine in 800x600@50Hz with VIC sync on ! 8)

Only drawback, the image is stretched horizontally to fill the whole screen (which is a 4kUHD). Any plans to have options for the aspect ratio in the future, or resolutions which would be adapted to the screen aspect ratio to display in 4:3 ?

Only drawback, the image is stretched horizontally to fill the whole screen (which is a 4kUHD). Any plans to have options for the aspect ratio in the future, or resolutions which would be adapted to the screen aspect ratio to display in 4:3 ?

I looked at it, but its unlikely we can do this - we dont have the scaler features we'd need for this (eg we dont have a logic to generate left/right borders), and even then might run into pixel clock limits. On top, it will result in non standard VGA modes, which then might not even work on the monitor.

That said, doesnt the monitor have an option to disable this stretching?

• I looked at it, but its unlikely we can do this - we dont have the scaler features we'd need for this (eg we dont have a logic to generate left/right borders), and even then might run into pixel clock limits. On top, it will result in non standard VGA modes, which then might not even work on the monitor.

That said, doesnt the monitor have an option to disable this stretching?

You are right, I downloaded doc of the monitor and found this setting hidden in the dozens of options this monitor actually proposes. Thank you !!

• use 800x600 in 50Hz setup on th64 c64 core options in vga menu + single buffering.

Great picture like the BenQ BL702A, just bigger and with HDMI input. :)

The first device was unfortunately defective and the workmanship is better at Benq.
    Let it (TC 2) also run with your setting (800x600 50hz ... ) .

Can be used as a retro and home office monitor at the same time.

That is a big point.

Thanks.

• Found a nice monitor that works really nice with my TC64 V2s. I just bought it new and is still produced and sold as of this post. Looks like I lucked out with this one.

DELL E1715S

- Aspect Ratio: 5:4

- Resolution: 1280x1024

- 50Hz mode and sync to VIC II on: Yes, tested in cartridge mode

- In general: Tested 800x600@50Hz, 720x576@50Hz and 768x576@50Hz (all with VIC II sync on). All the tested resolutions fills the screen with correct overscan area and nice aspect ratio. Seems perfect for TC64/TC64 V2. Smooth scrolling. All was tested using VGA. This monitor has a display port aswell.

As a sidenote, tested with minimig AGA, mistery and C16 cores. Works perfect there aswell. Smooth scrolling and correct aspect ratio. No 15KHz support though.

• We have a nice monitor with the same panel size in the shop right now - really cheap (under 30,- EUR), available in abundance from upcycling-companies. It does work with 50Hz VGA input, and we're currently testing if it also works with 50Hz on DVI-in. Not the brightest picture, but really cool for the price. No 15kHz support on that monitor either (quickly tested on an A3000).

Will report back here after we've done tests with Indivision AGA MK3.

Jens

• Please don't misunderstand "in the shop" - what I meant was not our online shop, but our workshop where we test things. While the test on that particular monitor were positive, I have to wait for yet another model to come in that is *really* available in good quantities. Might be next week.

Jens