ECS v2 in a600

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • My ecs v2 has just arrived, hurray.

However, I cannot find instructions on how to fit this to an A600. I have the A604n fitted already so I know I’m good to go and could maybe work it out just by looking but would prefer some official instructions.

• Ok I saw a video of one that was installed and working but I have a huge problem:

1. 3 pins on the board were bent. In attempting to straighten them all 3 snapped off.

2. I managed to solder some legs back on, connected device to the riser board and then checked continuity of every pin and made sure there were no short circuits

3. Connected to A600 and powered on

The Amiga boots and I get a picture out of the VGA connection. All looked well but, after opening a few windows I start to see graphical corruption on the screen e.g. big clumps of random pixels when a new window opens.

To see if the device wasn't happy with one of my other devices I removed my ethernet card and my Furia accelerator and booted from a 2.04 Wokbench floppy. The problem was visible immediately, with the frame around the main workbench screen broekn up with missing pixels and flickering.

The same graphical corruption can be seen through the regula RGB port if the Indivision is connected.

I removed the Indivision and now everything is back to normal.

I'm not sure where to go from here?

• Breaking off three pins does take some force - the graphical corruption surely comes from a contact problem. If you can't fix that on your end, send the card back and we'll replace the pins.

Please understand that mechanical damages are not covered by warranty.

• I'll have to send it back. There is good electrical contact from the indivision to the 604n; I measured it in-situ.

Anyhow, what address should I send it back to? Shall I just include my original order number in the box with it?

I understand I am responsible for paying for it to be fixed.

Thanks, Brad

• We only have this one company address - you can find it on the invoice and in the imprint. Please use the original packing, so the product is protected from further damage.

• Further Development:

Device works perfectly in my A2000.

So, something about my A600 it doesn't like. My config:

A600 with original PSU

Furia 68020

IDE->SD adapter with card int

Gotek floppy replacement

A604n

Wondering if power was a problem? I did try taking the furia card out to reduce psu burden but it was no better.

TL;DR I don't think the Indivision is faulty so will keep it. Would really like it for my A600 if poss though. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

• There's another support case in conjunction with an A600 in the German part of this forum. I'll have to make a test-setup after Xmas to make in-depth tests.

I do remember that ACA500plus customers had trouble with a Gotek drive, but that may really be PSU related - if you have time, please try to remove the Gotek drive and see if there's any difference. To my knowledge, the CPU in there is very low-power, but I don't know about the momentary requirements of the overall circuit and the way that the rest of the design deals with power.

• Netizensmith

Changed the title of the thread from “Ex’s v2 in a600” to “ECS v2 in a600”.
  • Hi...I have the same setup apart from the Geotec drive.....Everything works fine here....Furia...SD2IDE(32gb card)....800x600 16 colours...A604n etc....did you make the "recovery disk" ?

• have you had your A600 Recapped...?...clean the Edge Connector and push the A604n right in..

A600 Furia with 020/33 9.5 meg fast...32gb SD...Pi1 Dfo: Geotec DF1:....A604n...Indivision V2...RTC....Prisma card Wirless Keyboard

A500 rev6a project

Xbox Classic with WinUAEX

Rasberry PI3/Amibian

Dell Laptop Winuae

• Yeah was recapped a month ago. I could check the edge connector yeah. Weird that the 604n otherwise works just fine but I guess the workbench windows are going through chip memory so it makes sense kind of, maybe.

• I am currently investigating the problem and also found the cause why I did not find any problems during development: I probably used a different version of the A604n.

The actual cause is a little more complex, but there's a simple fix that you can do: Isolate pin#35 of the Denise-socket from Indivisino ECS V2. On the previous version of the A604n, this was always isolated (no pin there!), but the current versions have the 7MHz pin connected to a signal of the A600 trapdoor port that may or may not carry a 14MHz signal (depending on the board revision and Agnus used on that board). This confuses the current version of the FPGA core.

The easiest way to isolate pin#35 is to modify the socket that goes between the flicker fixer and the A604n. I have snapped a quick picture of the socket with pin#35 removed: I only used a soldering iron to heat up the pin, so it floats in the plastic and can be pushed out easily.

While we are working on an updated FPGA core, this is the recommended solution. It may still be required for some combinations of A600 board and A604n, and I'm happy to do the required mod for customers who don't feel confident enough to do that on their own.

• That did the trick! Thanks.

Last question:

I’m hooked up to a very modern widescreen lcd 1080p display. Some screen modes I can’t get quite right e.g. the rightmost and bottom pixels are not displayed no matter how much I change backporch etc. If I were to use a crt super vga or multisync monitor am I likely to achieve better results?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.