Chameleon Core update 9j released

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • That sounds like an artefact produced by something else in the setup to me though, the filter in the chameleon results in less sharp edges, what you describe sounds like reflections on the cable or sth like that

• That sounds like an artefact produced by something else in the setup to me though, the filter in the chameleon results in less sharp edges, what you describe sounds like reflections on the cable or sth like that

Tried all kinds of VGA cables. ECS V2 has this same problem. ECS V1 does not have this ghosting smearing with the same cables. I have to use low quality cables with the ECS V1 to reproduce the ghosting/smearing I get with TC 64 V2 and ECS V2.

So yes, the effect is the same as when using a low quality VGA cable.

Edit: I think shadowing is a better word to describe the problem

• I have the same "shadows" on my ECS V2 (A500) on the Benq BL702a monitor.

My A1200 has the AGA MK3 also on a Benq BL702a, this gives a very sharp picture.

I plugged the monitor and cable (from my A1200) to the ECS V2, the "shadows" are there again.

You can see it very clear on pinball games, if you use the "flippers" you can see the shadows. Also visible on the icons on the workbench.

Maybe I have to remove the metal shield of my A500, last thing I can try.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• How is the progress on the mod boards you were working on to improve the picture quality on TC64 V2 and ECS V2?

I'm pushing to get the memory expansions out before Xmas. Will use the upcoming "lockdown" time to look into those mod-boards, hoping that the VAT rate change and Brexit stuff won't keep me from doing productive work for too long :-/.

• I'm pushing to get the memory expansions out before Xmas. Will use the upcoming "lockdown" time to look into those mod-boards, hoping that the VAT rate change and Brexit stuff won't keep me from doing productive work for too long :-/.

So I'm using normal length VGA cables (length that usually comes with monitors) and they have ferrite cores in each end. Now, these does not produce noticeable shadowing with Indivision ECS V1 or other stuff I've tried except for ECS V2 and TC64 V2 which produces really noticeable shadowing. VGA cables with no ferrite cores will makes this even worse. So to produce the same bad smearing/shadowing like ECS V2 or TC64 V2 has on ECS V1 or other units I would need to use bad VGA cables. So to me it seems that ECS V2 and TC 64 V2 has weak signal output.

So then my question is, do you think if I cut one of these good VGA cables with ferrite cores in each end, that works just fine with other units than ECS V2 and TC64 V2 in half, and make them half length, do you think there is a chance this could remove most of the shadowing/smearing? I do not want to do this to my cables if there is no chance this will work.

• No.

So then the output signal coming from the ECS V2 and TC64 V2 is simply to weak to avoid shadowing/ghosting with any VGA cable as a result of the strict CE rules you had to follow with regards to signal output? Which in turn makes the same effect as using a bad VGA cable with no ferrite cores on a unit that has a strong/normal output signal

• You're attempting to get details of the DA converter and my approach to passing CE. This won't work; I won't discuss such details with anyone unless a consulting contract is in place. The larger part of iComp's revenue comes from such consulting contracts - either for from-spec-design or (more often) from debugging someone else's design, either for plain "making it work" or for making it pass CE/FCC.

• You're attempting to get details of the DA converter and my approach to passing CE. This won't work; I won't discuss such details with anyone unless a consulting contract is in place. The larger part of iComp's revenue comes from such consulting contracts - either for from-spec-design or (more often) from debugging someone else's design, either for plain "making it work" or for making it pass CE/FCC.

The only thing I'm concerned about is getting rid of the shadowing/smearing. Looking for any solution

• I don’t think there is any cable that will guarantee you a ghosting free image. I’ve connected the chameleon without any cable and still have ghosting.

Interesting.

I see a difference in shadowing/smearing between various cables. I have a really thick cable with a ferrite core in one end. This one gives bad ghosting. Then I have the more modern ones. these ones are thinner but have ferrite cores in both ends. These also gives really noticeable smearing but not as bad as the thick one with one ferrite core.

Then I have really cheap ones with no ferrite cores. And those makes both nasty smearing and noise in the picture.

So I wondered if I had a really thick one with ferrite cores in both ends, if that would improve it further than the thinner ones with ferrite cores in both ends.

But if you tried connecting it directly to the monitor with a male to male adapter and still have really noticeable smearing/shadowing then it sounds hopeless. Then the output signal from the TC64 64V2 is to blame. It's too weak or something

• Not directly to the monitor, but directly to the VGA2Hdmi converter I’m using.

Chameleon Core update 9j veröffentlicht

Chameleon Core update 9j veröffentlicht

btw, from you pictures it looks like you have barely any visible smearing/shadowing. Could you try International Karate, load map A (sydney) with the brown background and either tell me how many shadows you can count on the right side of the character, if at all visible and maybe take pictures?

• The shadows are most noticeable with high contrasts like the yellow/blue menu colors, or the default blue on white of the Vic 20.
    It's pretty hard to make good pictures, but when the white sprite is moving these repeating shadows are clearly visible.

https://youtu.be/vkT0RLdSuXM

Thanks. It's probably hard to capture with just a picture. I can count at least 3 shadows from the white sprite when this is in motion. It's quite distracting. It happens in all sorts of games with high contrast.

Point is, you don't use a VGA cable, your VGA to HDMI converter is connected directly to the TC64 V2. So the smearing/ghosting issue is not a VGA cable issue. Even though the issue can be made even worse with bad VGA cables. But with a good VGA cable, or no VGA cable, like in your case, the smearing/shadowing is still quite bad and distracting.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.