Indivision ECS V2 RGB picture quality VS Original Denise

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So I owned the ECS V2 since it was released and have mostly been using it with scandoubled VGA. Somtimes I've been using RGB. Today I finished another A500 ++ Replica motherboard and booted up with an original Denise first. Then I switched to the ECS V2 after checking that everything was okay.

Is it just me or is the RGB quality quite a bit sharper with the ECS V2 RGB VS an original Denise?

• Update. Cannot edit my first post for some reason. Anyway, did some more testing and holy moly does the ECS V2 have superior picture quality on the RGB output VS a real Denise! I am using my BenQ BL 912. This one has really nice RGB quality from any Amiga once you tune pixel and phaseclocks. But oh my, with the ECS V2 it's not only good, it's crystal clear. This is as good as it gets with analogue output. Never really noticed this before because I was always concentrating on the VGA output from the ECS V2. ECS V2 RGB output is rivaling the crystal clear output from AGA MK2's DVI output, that's how good it is. Extremely vibrant and absolutely no noise in the picture. I also connected another Rev.6A based A500 and could instantly see the difference.

At first I thought it was because the ECS V2 seems to have more contrast/brightness VS real Denise. But I compensated for that by adjusting the monitor. There is a big difference. And again, not that it's bad with the real Denise, but it's just so noticeable when going from good to crystal clear/perfect with ECS V2s and RGB output.

I'm so impressed by the picture quality that I almost think the ECS V2 is worth it alone just for the RGB output quality. Not sure if it would work this way on an A600 since the A600 still have the real Denise in it when one uses it with the ECS V2. With the A500's one replaces Denise.

Good bye VGA output from ECS V2 and welcome perfect RGB oputput ;) Suddenly I don't care about scandoubled picture and scanlines anymore ;)

• I'm surprised that you see such a difference. The pixel data is indeed a bit "sharper" because the FPGA has much faster rise/fall times, but this data goes into the HC-driver chips on the main board before it's converted to analogue, so the analogue conversion is still the same, no matter what Denise you're using. Don't get me wrong - I don't doubt your finding, but it's just hard to believe that the pure timing of the output pixels can make such a difference, as the DA-converter is still the same, located in the video hybrid of the board.

• I'm surprised that you see such a difference. The pixel data is indeed a bit "sharper" because the FPGA has much faster rise/fall times, but this data goes into the HC-driver chips on the main board before it's converted to analogue, so the analogue conversion is still the same, no matter what Denise you're using. Don't get me wrong - I don't doubt your finding, but it's just hard to believe that the pure timing of the output pixels can make such a difference, as the DA-converter is still the same, located in the video hybrid of the board.

I am very surprised myself. But I see a very clear difference. So far the best results I have with a real Denise on my BenQ BL 702A and BL 912 monitors seems to be with Rev. 5 Amiga 500 motherboards. Rev.6A and Rev 8A A500 boards seems to have faint vertical bars. If I tune the phase clocks to make the bars go away it becomes less sharp. Rev 5 boards are sharp with no vertical bars. A600s seems to have the more visible vertical bars than Rev 6A and Rev 8A A500 boards and a tad more noise in the picture. And again, if I tune the phase clocks to make them go away there will be less sharpness in the picture. A1200 seems to have a very bright picture and not as sharp as the above mentioned.

When using the ECS V2 it seems that it does not only give a crystal clear and sharp picture like the rev 5 boards with a real Denise, but it's even sharper, no vertical bars, no noise in the picture whatsoever and the colours are noticeable more vibrant and warm. And again, not that the above mentioned systems have bad quality, especially the Rev 5 boards seems to have excellent quality with a real Denise, it's just the ECS V2 seems to improve this to what I would almost call perfection.

I'm sure one wouldn't be able to spot these differences on a CRT.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.