Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

Thanks for helping me out the other day. I have some questions regarding a PSU upgrade, primarily to provide more stable power for the peripherals I already have connected, but also to ensure that when I fit a RapidRoad, I don't experience issues you have previously highlighted with hot-plugging etc.

I am currently running the following:

A1200 1D4, recapped in 2018

CF2IDE Internal CF Adapter with 8Gb CF Card (OS 3.1.4.1, all Fast RAM patches and MMULib configured)

Indivision AGA Mk2 Cr

Blizzard 1260 with 128Mb Fast RAM

BiFrost Heimdall with caps lock mod

I will be adding one of Rob Cranley's Solas boards, which will provide internal case RGB lighting, temperature sensors and fan speed controls (in software), additional power connector for the Bifrost, plus a 3 way clockport expander. I would like to install the RapidRoad on to one of these ports. I will also be running fans to the blizzard and indivision to keep it all cool.

On top of that, I use some external peripherals that draw power - for example the Vidi Amiga digitiser, Technosound Turbo etc. And I intend to figure out a solution to install the Fast IDE adapter.

So, all in, there are a lot of extra power draws in there, which the standard PSU won't cope with.

Can you advise on the best PSU to ensure I am rock solid with all these peripherals installed, and which will protect the Rapidroad from damage as a result of hot-plugging?

I appreciate you are currently selling your own PSU, however I wanted to be sure this would be capable of running all this stuff.

Many thanks in advance,

AndrewC

• Your current config will be served well with the CA-PSU, as that can provide 5 amps on the main 5V rail without any problem. Your biggest consumer is the B1260 and the main board itself, but these will not draw more than 3.5A combined (if I had a B1260, I'd measure). The CF card and flicker fixer won't be a problem either.

Just be careful with adding lights and switching them all on at the same time. If these lights are 12V-sourced, the stability of the computer won't be affected - it will either switch off when overloaded, or just work. If you intend to do USB-powered lights, then you should use a self-powered USB hub to take load off of the CA-PSU.

I don't know about the quality or stability of the Solas board. The basic idea of adding buffers to the clock port is good, but I don't have any reports (neither positive nor negative) in conjunction with RapidRoad.

The CA-PSU is definitely the best you can get for your computer. The 5A constant current rating has lots of safety margin and is mainly given due to voltage stabilty dropping with higher temperatures. The "typical 0.6% deviation" is not given when the unit heats up, but you can safely draw 8A for up to 30 seconds, and it'll cool down sufficiently if load is reduced after that time (good for powering up physical harddrives or CD/DVD drives). You won't find that with any other power supply for A500/A600/A1200.

• Thanks Jens,

If I was to buy the CA-PSU and Rapid Road, but leave the Solas card and LED lights disconnected (such that I only have the CF IDE adapter, Blizzard 1260, Heimdall and Indivision AGA Mk2 Cr connected), would I be safe to, for example, hot plug an external optical drive that is powered via the USB port (for example a Samsung SE-208GB/RSLD USB 2.0 External DVD Writer)?

To be fair, this kind of peripheral would be connected permanently, and I would avoid hot-plugging anyway. But if I had this, plus, say, a USB pen drive attached, could I safely hot-plug this with the Amiga running, without risking damage to the Rapid Road, or any other peripherals?

Thanks in advance,

AndrewC

• (for example a Samsung SE-208GB/RSLD USB 2.0 External DVD Writer)?

I would not connect that directly to RapidRoad - only through a powered USB hub.

To be fair, this kind of peripheral would be connected permanently, and I would avoid hot-plugging anyway. But if I had this, plus, say, a USB pen drive attached, could I safely hot-plug this with the Amiga running, without risking damage to the Rapid Road, or any other peripherals?

We're shipping RapidRoad with an added protection circuit since a few weeks now, but didn't collect enough statistical data yet to say that this solved "the hot-plug problem". To be honest, the original statistical data of RapidRoad defects can't be 100% accurate, as we never know if people really made a good GND connection with the additonal ground wire. So it's a matter of waiting now - if we really significantly reduce the amount of RR defects, this protection circuit serves it's purpose.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.