Remonte Control Menu - Sound configuration

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I have 2 SIDs (sid 1: 6581 sid 2: 8580) and I am wondering what would be the best configuration for this in the Remote Control Menu.

There are indeed 2 menus available: "A: Audio Output" and "S: stereo SID options"

I don't really understand how these 2 menus can complement and / or neutralize each other - and which one takes priority over the other. Example:

- Should I set the A menu to L (sid 1 left / sid 2 right) to get the S menu stereo options to work?

- What happens if I choose option 1 of A Menu (mono SID 1) as well as option 2 of S Menu (mono SID 2)

What effects of the different possible configurations of these 2 menus if I use the audio output at the DIN A / V (video output)?

And if I choose the 3.5mm jack Audio output ? Is this always a better option ?

In summary: What would be the best possible options for playing / listening to "ordinary" music? to listen to music specially made for 2 SIDS?

Best regards,

Marc

• The audio output menu only deals with "which SID is mapped to which output channel".

The Stereo SID options select which chip will respond to which address space. There is no cenceling out from menu to menu.

- What happens if I choose option 1 of A Menu (mono SID 1) as well as option 2 of S Menu (mono SID 2)

Then you will hear both SIDs on both channels, and both SIDs will get the same data. This is a pretty useless config, though :-)

What effects of the different possible configurations of these 2 menus if I use the audio output at the DIN A / V (video output)?

That audio output is only one channel, so you might want to choose the Mono option from the A menu.

And if I choose the 3.5mm jack Audio output ? Is this always a better option ?

It's a matter of taste - some people like to hear the full stereo effect, other people like to hear chords played with more than 3 voices, where mono is the better option.

What would be the best possible options for playing / listening to "ordinary" music? to listen to music specially made for 2 SIDS?

Again, that's a matter of taste, so there can't be "the best possible option". If there would be such a thing, we wouldn't have made it a menu setting :-)

• Ok, thanks for that !

So, what are the good options in A and S menu if :

- I want "to hear the full stereo effect" ?

- I want "to hear chords played with more than 3 voices" ?

Many thanks;

Marc

• - I want "to hear the full stereo effect" ?

One SID left, one SID right, use the 3.5mm steeo jack for audio-out.

- I want "to hear chords played with more than 3 voices" ?

That's contradicting - if a chord is played, it might get a different sound depending on where speakers are, or what kind of phase error your stereo system introduces. For certain titles, it might therefore be more fitting if you put both SIDs on both channels (mono). Again, it's a matter of taste, depending on the title you are listening to.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.