Indivision ECSv2 and black stripe

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

black vertical stripe on the left side of the monitor covering part of the desktop when using the Indivision ECSv2 configuration program. The black stripe disappears when the computer restarts, but reappears if I run of Indivision's setup program. How can I solve?

Thanks

G

• This is something that hasn't been reported before. Please describe the whole setup, and also take a picture of the "black stripe", so we can see what you are talking about.

• Too bad - if exporting the config doesn't work at your side, we'll have to attempt a fix without. We've already discussed possible causes internally, and Timm may have a beta version later this week.

• Here is my config. I have the very same effects, but these happen also, when I reset the Indivision to default settings.

This behavior really only occurs when I'm using the config/flash tool, not in normal operation/resolution switching. Also the black stripe disappears when adjusting other screen modes in the config tool.

My setup consists of a A500 Board rev 6, TF536, A500 Clockport+Silversurfer, AT-Bus clone and a PicoPSU 80W attached via checkmates Zorro/ATX board. And no, at the time, I have no original PSU to test.

captain_zzap.config.zip

• I have the very same effects, but these happen also, when I reset the Indivision to default settings.

What we believe is happening is that upon re-configuration of the FPGA (which is currently happening when the config tool is launched), the register contents of the Denise instance are lost. This includes the "ECS-enable"-bit that was introduced back in the day to ensure OCS compatibility. So when the FPGA comes back, it's using the default value, which is "OCS compatible". As a result, any screen mode that requires ECS capabilities will display funny things.

This assumption is supported by the screen shot from GianDo showing SHires resolution.

Timm is currently workin on the config tool, and the next release will not reload the FPGA by default, as that is not necessary for the functionality of the tool. I have good reason to believe that this will solve this issue.

• Too bad - if exporting the config doesn't work at your side, we'll have to attempt a fix without. We've already discussed possible causes internally, and Timm may have a beta version later this week.

I hope that the problem is solved.

Now besides the black stripe on the left, every time I click on the test mode in the indivision software I get this error like in the attached photo.

• Now besides the black stripe on the left, every time I click on the test mode in the indivision software I get this error like in the attached photo.

We did fix an enforcer hit very recently in the AGA MK3 tool, which is largely based on the same source code. I assume that this fix will also be back-ported to the ECS V2 version.

• I too have the back bar on the left side when using the config tool. I put it down to the SuperPlus screen mode as when I quickly test a normal PAL screen it gets rid of the black bar.

• I too have the back bar on the left side when using the config tool. I put it down to the SuperPlus screen mode as when I quickly test a normal PAL screen it gets rid of the black bar.

However the problem must be solved as soon as possible. We hope that Indivision will give us a solution as soon as possible.

• If you want to give it a try, here's a release candidate of version 2.4 of the ECSv2 config tool:

http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/…divisionECSv2-2.4-rc1.lha

There are no FPGA changes yet, but chances are that this and some other issues may go away with this update.

Thank you.

I'm trying it now. The black stripe on the left side seems not to appear for the moment, while the error that freezes the software when I press the test mode option is still present.

• I noticed an interesting thing, the black strip on the left side that appears when opening the Indivision ECS V2 software is visible only if from Screenmode in the workbench I have set any video mode of the HighGFX package. However, it doesn't happen if I set the Amiga's normal PAL resolutions, including interlaced ones.

Although the error that causes the software to crash when clicking on test mode, I believe it is due to an operating system problem. The latter problem was solved by reinstalling the workbench.

• I noticed an interesting thing, the black strip on the left side that appears when opening the Indivision ECS V2 software is visible only if from Screenmode in the workbench I have set any video mode of the HighGFX package. However, it doesn't happen if I set the Amiga's normal PAL resolutions, including interlaced ones.

This has been explained before: THe register contents of the hardware-emulated Denise got lost, and the default values were applied when the config tool was launched. This caused the bug to appear with all ECS modes.

Although the error that causes the software to crash when clicking on test mode, I believe it is due to an operating system problem. The latter problem was solved by reinstalling the workbench.

"re-installing" should really only be the last resort in finding such a bug. However, it's good to hear that it's resolved - I'd assume that one of the monitor types was at fault. Would have been nice to pinpoint the cause - did you make a backup before you re-installed the boot partition?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.