Chip RAM Espansion

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Can't tell - the new PLCC84 adapters are still en route from Asia, and SMT production has not been confirmed yet. The assembly company only does that after all components have passed their incoming-materials inspection.

• Will the new ACE2 also be based on an NTSC 8375 Agnus and not the PAL version?

Most of them, yes. Not sure if we have PAL versions left in stock - if so, it'll be a small quantity. The good news is that the Agnus is in a socket, so if you have a PAL Agnus in your spare parts box, you can easily install it.

• Most of them, yes. Not sure if we have PAL versions left in stock - if so, it'll be a small quantity. The good news is that the Agnus is in a socket, so if you have a PAL Agnus in your spare parts box, you can easily install it.

With my ACA 500 I can easily switch to PAL on bootup anyway. I bought one NTSC 8375 Agnus from you probably a year ago or so. Then they vanished from your shop. Any plan on putting them back for sale again? I will be looking out for the new ACE2 aswell

Edit: Another interesting question that came to mind. Since you have a PLCC socket on your new ACE2, will you also sell a version that comes with no Agnus in it? For those who already have a 8375 Agnus laying around

• I bought one NTSC 8375 Agnus from you probably a year ago or so. Then they vanished from your shop. Any plan on putting them back for sale again?

The plan is to use these chips for ACE2 expansions. Our business model is to make expansions, not to sell spare parts. Just like you, many people bought the chips "just to have it", without an actual need for a repair or so. This results in chips getting scarce, although there are plenty on the planet for most Amigas to have 2M chip ram. So I decided to quit selling these, after increasing the price to an almost-prohibitive 40,- EUR each and still seeing people buy them for putting them on a shelve to look pretty.

Edit: Another interesting question that came to mind. Since you have a PLCC socket on your new ACE2, will you also sell a version that comes with no Agnus in it? For those who already have a 8375 Agnus laying around

Yes, as this is the best way of putting those pre-sold Agnus chips to good use. However, don't count on too many savings, as the unit needs to be tested and come with a warranty, so it needs to go through the whole QC procedure, and chip removal/added optical inspection on top of that.

• But the difference between the old version and the new version is only that Agnus is in the socket, whereas before it was soldered on the board or is there something else?

If someone wanted to buy an ACE2, could they do it still? Do you have no residues in stock?

• The plan is to use these chips for ACE2 expansions. Our business model is to make expansions, not to sell spare parts. Just like you, many people bought the chips "just to have it", without an actual need for a repair or so.

Just to be clear, I only have one Agnus 8375 NTSC. It is being used in an A500 ++ board currently. I have many more A500 ++ projects on the way. So it's not like I have a collection of 8375s. I will probably desolder one from a broken A600 board and use a Diet Agnus A500+ 8372A Adapter for other projects. However, I am fully aware that people are collecting them and selling them for high prices. There are alot of A500 plus boards being sold with no chips in them these days. And building the A500 ++ boards is also popular. So there is a need for 8375 chips.

• The most important thing is the quality of the product, and yours are products of excellent quality. Even if the name is not very creative it is less important .. :-)

I hope to be able to buy it soon ..

• We're pushing for all current memory expansions: ACE2b, A512 and A2048. Unfortunately, the PCB manufacturer has messed up the silkscreen print on the ACE2b boards, so we need to place labels on them now. These labels are in transit, hopefully arriving tomorrow. Once the first units have been booked in, I'll take a new picture and update the ACE2 page.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.